Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Step by step TAP compiler setup guides available.

Page 3 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
R2-D2
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
blackpaw wrote:
I was planning to serve HTTP on the 6000 using std TCP/IP over the wireless

Bah! <Covers eyes.> I'm not listening! La, la, la!

Mind you, finding docs on the TF6000 wireless stuff is likely to be hard...
blackpaw
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
blackpaw wrote:
I was planning to serve HTTP on the 6000 using std TCP/IP over the wireless

Bah! <Covers eyes.> I'm not listening! La, la, la!

I wouldn't be too envious - the wireless is frigging unreliable, half the time after a restart it just doesn't connect and its very slow. I think I would have been better off with a cheap laptop attached with usb to a 5000.

Quote:

Mind you, finding docs on the TF6000 wireless stuff is likely to be hard...

Looking that way Sad

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
I've done some basic-beginner-type C, but this all sounds amazingly convoluted?

Toolchains and the likes? Is it worth all the effort, or should I go back to the C drawing board first until I'm a wee bit more proficient?

EMJB
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3638 Location: Maldon Essex
glenmcfar wrote:
I've done some basic-beginner-type C, but this all sounds amazingly convoluted?

Toolchains and the likes? Is it worth all the effort, or should I go back to the C drawing board first until I'm a wee bit more proficient?

Go for it!! Just follow the instructions provided, and begin by modifying an existing TAP rather than starting from scratch. All my TAPs have evolved that way - I have never started from a blank sheet.

EMJB
rbools
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 448
Anybody able to help a newbie TAP compiler?

I've installed cygwin on my Windows XP box as per the instructions on berlios and also installed the Toolchain and set up my environment. Having downloaded the source code repositary, I can successfully compile the TAPs I've tried so far from it (e.g. TimerExtend), so I assume I've got the basic setup right.

However, when I try to compile MEISearch, the process gets so far and then bombs out with the error 'No rule to make target /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h, needed by taparray.o'

Looking at my cygwin setup, I have the usr/include directory, but there is no gnu directory underneath that, let alone a stubs.h file. Googling the error produces various references, but no real solution. One post implied that stubs.h will be installed by the glibc package, but this does not appear to be an installable option when setting up cygwin.

Anybody have any ideas? Replies in as plain a language as possible would be appreciated, since I'm new to this compiling stuff!

TAPs: NoExit 1.0; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.2; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MeiSearch 1.35; Power Manager v2.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Surfer v0.14; TAP Commander 1.34; TF5000 Display v1.53; TSSaver v0.5; UK Subtitle 1.9; MyInfo B5.4;
Sig generated by MyInfo TAP on 26/11/10
simonc
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
I had the same problem. Robin must compile his TAP on a slightly different config. The trick is to modify the makefile so that it generates the dependencies excluding the system includes.

I can get you a copy of the makefile minus system includes this evening.
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
You'll have another problem with MeiSearch: it's C++ and the Berlios toolchain doesn't include mips-g++ (last time I looked...). The original Topfield toolchain does include g++, but I'm not sure what's involved with setting it up properly. I suspect SimonC is your man for the answer to that.
simonc
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5640 Location: Cheltenham
If only I could remember what was involved myself. I think we should really get a binary release together.
rbools
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies guys. I've been struggling with this for a while, and am getting a bit disheartened to be honest. Sad

The problem for me is the difficulty in finding a 'definitive' guide as to what you need to install on a PC to be able to successfully compile TAPs however they have been written (C,C++, whatever). Following the guide at tap.berlios.de has given me limited success, but I find I keep trawling the web looking for snippets of information (sometimes conflicting) when things go wrong. A lot of what I read also seems to assume more than a small amount of prior knowledge and doesn't always explain things from scratch.

I'd really like to learn more about how to do this, with my initial aim being to simply 'tweak' existing source code both to suit my requirements and also to learn along the way, before I contemplate writing anything from scratch. After all, we all have to start somewhere ,despite my being an electronics engineer for the last 20 years. Very Happy

TAPs: NoExit 1.0; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.2; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MeiSearch 1.35; Power Manager v2.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; Surfer v0.14; TAP Commander 1.34; TF5000 Display v1.53; TSSaver v0.5; UK Subtitle 1.9; MyInfo B5.4;
rbools
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:45 pm Reply with quote
R2-D2 wrote:
You'll have another problem with MeiSearch: it's C++ and the Berlios toolchain doesn't include mips-g++ (last time I looked...). The original Topfield toolchain does include g++, but I'm not sure what's involved with setting it up properly. I suspect SimonC is your man for the answer to that.

Yeh, there are references in the MEISearch thread about this. I think Robin contributed an amendment to the Berlios toolchain as posted here, but I've been struggling to understand what you actually need to do to make it work.

glenmcfar
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Does the fact that I've just successfully set up cygwin, project workspaces , source code and the likes without having a single clue what's going on suggest that I'm gonna fail miserably here???

lol

Glen.

EMJB
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:00 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3638 Location: Maldon Essex
glenmcfar wrote:
Does the fact that I've just successfully set up cygwin, project workspaces , source code and the likes without having a single clue what's going on suggest that I'm gonna fail miserably here???

lol

Glen.

NO!! I didn't have a clue what I was doing to start with. First of all I recompiled one of the existing TAPs (TimeMon IIRC), and then I changed it a bit, and then I changed it a bit more, and eventually I had a working new TAP.

EMJB
glenmcfar
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
That's exactly the encouragement I was fishing for Very Happy .

Okay I'll batter on....

Glen.

rwg
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:37 am Reply with quote
TAP author Joined: 29 Oct 2005 Posts: 604 Location: Oxfordshire
rbools wrote:
R2-D2 wrote:

Yeh, there are references in the MEISearch thread about this. I think Robin contributed an amendment to the Berlios toolchain as posted here, but I've been struggling to understand what you actually need to do to make it work.

Only just noticed that the MeiSearch code is causing problems - sorry folks. The stub.h thing is due to dependencies between c/cpp and h files being stored in the Makefile that is part of the source package.

These dependencies are auto-generated when you run 'make depends'. The ones that get uploaded are for my system (Linux debian running in vmware, largely because cygwin didn't used to support running on Vista). To fix the problem, just run 'make depends' in the main MeiSearch source folder, and in libc++utils and framework folders. That will re-generate the dependencies correctly for your system and then the build should work. In the next version I will make the 'make depends' in the MeiSearch folder automatically re-do the dependencies for the libraries too.

As to getting c++ to work, it wasn't so much fixing the toolchain (all you need to do is tell it to build the c++ compiler - see http://toppy.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Main/writingcpptaps) as dealing with the fact that the lack of a proper loading system for TAPs means that the vtables for virtual function pointers never get updated for the offset in memory that the TAP is loaded at. Fortunately it's possible to perform this update during TAP_Main, and as long as it happens before any virtual function calls, all is well.

The method for updating the vtables is partly handled by the makefile (tap++.mk) and partly by the initialization in Main.cpp of the framework library. The Makefile builds the tap once then scans the object file created for vtable entries, then generates the code to fix up each one into a function called FixupVTables, which is compiled into the second (and actually usable) build of the TAP.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 126
<Deleted by me - solution to problem found>