Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  OZ Toppies  ~  Using TRF-2100 in UK

Page 1 of 1
TrevS
Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Hi.
I?ve not used forums before so it?s new to me and I?m not sure if this is the correct area to post this query, so please bear with me.

I?ve recently moved back to the UK from Australia and brought back with me a Topfield TRF2100 PVR which I bought in Brisbane last year. This worked fine when I was in Australia. However, now I?m back in the UK I?m having no success with retuning the Topfield for receiving UK terrestrial digital. A DTV scan for tuning produces no TV nor radio. The signal strength fluctuates around the mid 70?s but the quality registers zero. I know there is a decent digital signal at the aerial socket because I?ve checked it using another Freeview TV so I know there are plenty of UK Freeview channels available.

The instructions that came with the Topfield states that it complies with the international Digital Video Broadcasting Standard so I would have thought it would work in UK, or am I completely misunderstanding what that means? ? I?m no techy on this subject at all. I?ve done a factory reset and cleared out all the previous Aus channels but it still won?t tune in the UK channels.

The information I got from the unit is as follows:-
System ID: 35501
Loader version: v1.01
Device version: v1.0.0
Application version: TF-NFTP 1.03.01
Last update: Sep 18 2012

I?d be very grateful for any advice on how I may be able to get this working, or is it completely incompatible with UK DTV?

Thanks

[/b]
juwlz
Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
TrevS wrote:
The instructions that came with the Topfield states that it complies with the international Digital Video Broadcasting Standard so I would have thought it would work in UK, or am I completely misunderstanding what that means? ? I?m no techy on this subject at all. I?ve done a factory reset and cleared out all the previous Aus channels but it still won?t tune in the UK channels.
I'm no expert, but UK TV is a bit of a law unto itself, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that it doesn't comply with international DVB Standard, even though your Toppy does.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
DX
Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:52 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
TrevS wrote:
The instructions that came with the Topfield states that it complies with the international Digital Video Broadcasting Standard so I would have thought it would work in UK, or am I completely misunderstanding what that means?

There isn't a single worldwide standard as such. What exists is a large collection of standards

http://www.dvb.org/technology/standards/

Each country then chooses an appropriate sub-set for their own use. In the case of the UK this was the D-Book from the DTG (Digital TV Group)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-book

Other countries specify their own requirements in similar publications.

These sub-sets will overlap in many areas but that doesn't mean they are identical, or ever compatible. For instance back in 1998 the the UK specified the COFDM 2K modulation standard so early stb's here had chipsets that didn't support the 8K modulation standard. The UK only required UHF frequencies so VHF wasn't supported. The list goes on. There are many possible reasons why a model for one market may not work in another.

Then there is the question of whether manufacturers actually implement the specifications. For models sold in the UK Topfield didn't bother to support the Split-NIT part of the D-Book as it wasn't used by the UK broadcasters back in 2005. When the UK Broadcasters did start using it Toppies stopped working and were only saved by patching the firmware. To date Topfield have never released a firmware for their UK models that fixes this fundamental problem (it would seem odd if they have added this UK requirement only to models sold in other markets).

TrevS wrote:
I?d be very grateful for any advice on how I may be able to get this working, or is it completely incompatible with UK DTV?

I'm afraid I can't really help with this. It could be you are the first person to try in which case welcome to the bleeding edge of technology...
Captain_Amazing
Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote
I hope this isn't a thread hijack but I am in this boat too. Also moved back from Australia and brought my TRF-2400 with me. It's a great PVR so I'd love to be able to use it here.

Any techie out there help us please?