Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Signature Character Limit

Page 1 of 1
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
Hi Nigel,

I think it is useful if people put firmware revision, TAPs used etc. in their signature to aid guidance when they have a problem. The trouble is, I have hit the 255 character limit for my sig Shocked

Any chance of increasing this?

As they say, if you don't ask, you don't get Razz

Cheers

Chunkywizard

NickW
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:14 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Aug 2005 Posts: 388
I would like this also, maybe 1024?

TIA,

Nick.
chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
I think maybe 1024 is a bit to much as sigs tend to make all the messages longer, I would vote for 512 myself, but anything would be good. I believe it is possible to turn off viewing sigs in preferences so maybe that is an option for some people who do not like them. Of course, if the firmware and TAPs could be displayed on the left hand side alongside the location then the sig limit could stay,

Just an idea,

Chunkywizard

Encrypter
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Apr 2005 Posts: 137 Location: Bristol, UK
chunkywizard wrote:
Of course, if the firmware and TAPs could be displayed on the left hand side alongside the location then the sig limit could stay,

Just an idea,

Chunkywizard

Putting all that info in the left margin could leave you with a lot of empty space in the message body? That's probably gonna just distract the reader from the content of your post? Especially if it's a short one.

Extending the signature is probably better (IMO).
NickW
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote
Bump Wink

Any chance Nigel, 512 would be fine, as I've run out of space now?

Regards,

Nick.
underquark
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1790
Could this information be put in the "Interests" field of the poster's Profile? that way you can read it only if you want to. (Or does it have a k limit?)
underquark
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1790
OK, to partially answer my own question (sorry - should have researched first before posting the question). Tried putting info. into the Interests section of my Profile and it's limited to about 130 characters. The signature piece doesn't take up that much screen real estate provided that it's in a small font. You don't need to use the words "model number", "firmware version" etc., just list things in an agreed format e.g. model, firmware, start-up TAPs, others, transmitter, signal strength, signal quality:

5800; 5.12.04; JAG's EPG, DGtoJAG; Blackhill-98-75.

On reflection, I like seeing what other people are running partly because I'm nosey and partly because if a lot of people are using a TAP then it's probably worth a look-see. Info regarding specific devices (TV model etc.) is probably best left out.

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
tichtich
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
Changing the topic a bit... The trouble with putting your details in a signature is that the sig in your old posts will change when you update it. So someone reading an old post may be misled about which firmware version you were using at the time you posted a bug report, for example.

I can't think of a good solution to this problem, though, so I guess we have to live with it.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
I've upped this to 510 characters; I don't want to make it any bigger than that, because it's a lot of repeated information being shovelled over the net connection. Give people too much space and they'll only use it, you know...

Nigel.

Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
nwhitfield wrote:
I've upped this to 510 characters; I don't want to make it any bigger than that, because it's a lot of repeated information being shovelled over the net connection. Give people too much space and they'll only use it, you know...

Nigel.

Perfect, ta Smile
chunkywizard
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Cheers Nigel, promise I will use the space wisely Laughing

Chunkywizard