Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Performance

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
That'll serve me right!

Around 2pm this afternoon we experienced a massive surge in load on the server; I'm not sure what caused this, but it brought the system to its knees again, and I have further tweaked the Apache configuration to try and stop that happening again, or at least to the same degree.

Nigel.
matt
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
What do the server logs show?

matt
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I shall plough through those later when I'm feeling less stressed.

I've just had to bite my lip with a PR agency that is behaving in what can only be described as the most clueless way imaginable. (Nothing to do with this forum, but adding greatly to the day's frustrations, along with the mysteriously vanishing CDs that I need to do my work for Microsoft).

Grrrr.

Nigel.
matt
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Sounds scary!
nwhitfield
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:30 pm Reply with quote
New memory has now been delivered to the data centre, and will be installed by them either later today or first thing tomorrow, so we will have some downtime.

I could have arranged exactly when it would be installed by doing it myself, but you still have to pay to have one of their engineers present, to make sure you don't disturb any other kit, so it's just as cheap to have them fit the RAM too.

Hopefully, that will banish the problems permanently - it's an eight-fold increase in memory, which is definitely the limiting factor at present.

Nigel.
nwhitfield
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
The memory in both servers has now been upgraded, with the server hosting this site boosted from 64Mb to 512Mb, and the backup server (which is presently hosting the site content database) boosted from 64Mb to 128Mb.

Consequently, I have increased some of the limits that I imposed on the Apache web server on this system to restrict loading, and people should see an overall increase in performance.

I shall make more tweaks over the weekend - I'm away for the rest of today, and won't be able to keep an eye on things, so I'm not going to do any tinkering until I return.

Nigel.
matt
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
Excellent news, Nigel.

matt