Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Mountable Linux File System / Web / App

Page 1 of 1
Matt123
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:36 am Reply with quote
Hello, after getting a new stable hard drive in the toppy. I decided to make a couple of programs to make it better.
I have managed to combine Fuse and Puppy to get a slow working file system that just about works with uPnP media servers.

The Good Points about the program:
    > Continuously opens and closes the USB port, to stop it hanging & frees it up to use for another programs, like the TFTP program.
    > Buffers 1 MiB of data for 2 differently named files. This is good compatibility for use with the uPnP library. Caches for 5 mins.
    > It creates a readonly directory called "Recordings". displays the ".rec" files as ".ts" and ignores the first 4KiB of the file header.
    > When the Toppy is off. The "Recordings" folder remains. So Media Servers like MediaTomb and uShare do not remove the folder from its list / database.
    > Can use with Samba / Windows File Sharing, it buffers the last directory list for 10 seconds. To help speedup the time it takes to display in Windows.

I have this setup:
    UK Topfield 5800 pvrt (Recommended Firmware 5.13.65T)
    Linksys NSLU2 (Running Linux SlugOS / BE 5.3)
    Unbranded Android Tablet (Gingerbread v2.3.4)
I have typed-up a page with details about it: http://matty.99k.org/toppy-slug-app/
I made ToppyFS = makes the file system, ToppyWeb = Basic Web Interface which provides serial port access, and ToppyApp = Android App like the web interface. And these programs require other taps/patches to work.
* warning, dont use the power button on the Web UI/App, unless you have the exact same pvr/firmware * It could do some damage.

I thought I would post it here, because I like this web site. So if you have the same setup... Feel free to give it ago...
Good luck
Matt
mstombs
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 938
Do I read that right - it only uses a serial connection to the toppy? - which is only good for emergency access IMHO?

There's already an app called ToppyWeb - its a php web site with access to the Toppy via ftp/usb.

Anyhow looks very interesting, and will be looking in more detail - to learn more about upnp media servers and android apps... so many thanks for sharing!
Matt123
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Hello, I typed the message out quite quickly so I dont think I explained my-self correctly.
The ToppyFS needs a USB connection only, just so I can play a recording on another modern TV, if someone else is using the RF/Scart out.
The ToppyApp needs the USB or Serial or Both (connected to the Slug). It needs the Serial port to send the Remote control commands Guide/OK/Exit/etc... And it connects to the ToppyFS via the normal network file sharing to play a archive recording.
An annoying downside is the Android needs to be rooted. Because I can not use the mount command without it.

However I needed a way to send Serial Port commands from the Android to the Toppy. So I made a quick web interface Mainly to provide a Serial port middle man, between the Toppy and the Tablet.

mstombs wrote:
There's already an app called ToppyWeb
Ooops, perhaps I should rename this one, its not very good anyway.
birdman
Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Dec 2006 Posts: 1765 Location: Hitchin, HERTS Tx: Sandy Heath
Matt123 wrote:
The ToppyApp needs the USB or Serial or Both (connected to the Slug). It needs the Serial port to send the Remote control commands Guide/OK/Exit/etc...
So how is the serial port optional if it's needed for the command stream?
and also wrote:
An annoying downside is the Android needs to be rooted.
Android!?!
Which begs the question of how you are running a serial port from an Android system. Oh, hang on, you don't - that goes via a Web interface on the Slug?
You could turn the Slug into a streaming media server (minidlna?)and not mount the file-system on the tablet at all.

Toppy: TF5800PVR/250 - Black, now 1TB WD10EURX
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmVrXp+BmC0CbFsIPsUUuWfZXl,
Loader: C5.14, Hardware: 1.01
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EPG2MEI v0.96; FontManager 1.0d; QuickJump 1.71; MhegOnOff(Now1) A3; EIT Sub v0.6; MyStuff 6.6
USB connected: SheevaPlug with Debian wheezy
Sig mostly from MyInfo on 26/10/09
Matt123
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
Hello,
Quote:
So how is the serial port optional if it's needed for the command stream
Ah yes sorry, If you only connect the serial port to it. Only the remote control will work (TF5800), and if you only connect the USB to it, only the Recordings Listings/EPG will work.

I made a little example diagram of my layout at home.

I run a media server (MediaTomb) on the slug, so I can play them from the TV. A media client can be installed on the Android and you can ignore the ToppyApp program. But..... I made the app read the MyStuff file "\ProgramFiles\Settings\MyStuff\MyStuff_RecordedInfo.dat" so it will match the program-description\recorded-date\etc.. from it (mostly). So I know which episode I'm about to watch.
I found that reading the header of each file seperatly for the episode description was very very slow. And I got bored of waiting. Smile So I used the MyStuff info.
juwlz
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
You know that MyStuff has an API, don't you?

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Matt123
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
oh yes, cheers. I decided not to use it (maybe later?).
ChunkyBloke
Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2006 Posts: 84
Interesting stuff - I've just had a quick go with mounting the toppy filesystem on my Raspberry Pi using ftpd-topfield and curlftpfs - and I guess I could go further by setting up that as a samba share so my win machines (or indeed any media player on the network that sees samba shares) can browse the toppy directly (didn't get as far as trying to play anything directly from the toppy's disk)

More of a curiousity than anything else as I'm quite happy to FTP using filezilla for the few things I want to pull off the toppy.

Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Hi Matt,

I am looking to do something similar for the Raspberry Pi - to save me some time and head scratching, would it be possible to have a copy of your source code for this?

Cheers

NotBrian
shenson
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 568
juwlz wrote:

You can also use the PcControl TAP to send keystrokes using USB via a command file.

DB1
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:54 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
shenson wrote:
juwlz wrote:

You can also use the PcControl TAP to send keystrokes using USB via a command file.

Got a link? I can't find one.

TF5800, F/W: 5.13.65AbBfBqC0CbCeCkCwCyDEcEeEfErEsEvEzFFsGmHHeIKtNfOtPPcPePsRRaRhRpRsSSdSrStT2TdTfTpUUuXXpXwXl TAPs: TF5000 Display v1.53; QuickJump 1.72; Power Manager v2.2; MyInfo B5.6; DescriptionExtender 2.23; Remote Extender 1.6; Archivev1.0a; mei2archive BETA 3.8l7; EPGnavigator v5.1c; UK Auto Scheduler v0.73.1; Extend v1.7; Power Restore V0.7.8
Tx: CP
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/4/13
richie
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 156 Location: Ash Vale (Hannington)
Hi
I've just tried downloading from your web page, but the zip download links seem to be broken - is the toppy-fs app still available?

I think it's little endian I'm after, for an ARM-based pogoplug mobile.