Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  Cutting recordings

Page 1 of 1
anthony2l
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2011 Posts: 266
I have retained a whole lot of recordings which contain snippets I want to cut and put onto my PC. The last time I tried this using the native controls I am sure I ran into file corruptions. This led to my copying the whole of the program and then editing on PC but that is very slow.

I see there are some TAPS such as CutFile. What is the best way for either copying snippets or removing sections leaving me just the bits I want all on the Toppy?

Waltham Tx
Caps 31/07/13; Turbosat 500Gb SATA[/size]™
juwlz
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
CutFile and CutAds are the best (only?) tools available.

Both work best if you also install the [Bm] patch, so that you can see on the Toppy where you have actually set a bookmark. (The Toppy doesn't do very accurate jumping, so it's good to know where the bookmark actually got set, compared with where you were trying to set it.)

Both TAPs cut at bookmarks.

Cutfile chops a file into multiple pieces and is most useful for chopping up merged recordings.

CutAds removes sections (usually adverts, hence the name) from a recording, and tops and tails it. So if you just wanted a 10 minute segment of a programme, put a bookmark at the start and end of the segment you want, remove any other bookmarks, and use CutAds.

HTH
Julie

P.S. As long as you don't delete any of the resulting files, both CutAds and CutFile have corresponding JoinAds and JoinFile TAPs which can be used to stick everything back together again if you get it wrong.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
anthony2l
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Thank you. I don't know how to install the Bm patch.

I have [Bm] Bookmark_05.tfp on my PC.

I've put FireBird's HDFW v2 on the Toppy. Running it doesn't make a lot of sense to me I'm afraid. I get vary nervous with firmware and patches and suchlike. Can you give a bit of detailed guidance?

Waltham Tx
juwlz
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Ignore HDFW.

Since you have MyStuff installed, you're better off using FWLoad to install any patches. The procedure is the same for any patch.
  • On your Toppy, you'll find a folder called something like FirmwareInstall in /ProgramFiles. Under that you'll find a folder called Add. Copy Bookmark_05.tfp to that folder (using Antares, Altair, ftp, or however you normally connect to your Toppy for copying files on and off it).
  • Navigate to the native archive (see this article for how to do that, if you don't know already), and press << to get to the TAPs area.
  • You should have FWLoad in the Utilities folder. Run that, and the Bm patch will get added (because FWLoad found it in the Add folder).

If you do it this way, any time the MyStuff installer runs, it'll reinstall the Bm patch too. If you use HDFW, you'll lose it unless you remember to reinstall it manually.

Julie

anthony2l
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks - I think I've worked it all out. Never installed any patches before other than firmware updates as part of MyStuff.

Use Topmanager for the uploads.

Now - Cutads - it seems to come up with the name of the recording After the program, so for instance, Deal or No Deal is followed by Come Dine with Me. The archive shows Deal or No Deal, Cutads needs me to point to Come Dine with Me which then becomes the name of the new file.

Any fix for this?

Waltham Tx
juwlz
Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
The native file name will (usually) be the name of the first recording in the file. Just occasionally, if a programme starts late, it'll be the name of the programme before it - which you didn't record in full anyway. The native file name will never be part 2 (or 3 ...) of a merged recording ... unless something's gone badly wrong somehow.

I haven't used either for a long time, but ISTR that the easiest way to do it was to play the programme(s), add (or remove) your bookmarks, and run CutAds/CutFile while you're still playing the programme, so that they operate on the currently playing file.

There's no MyStuff integration, so you'll have to rename the files yourself after cutting (once you're sure you've cut in the right place).

You'll also want to clean up the leftover bits and the "save status" files that the TAPs make. You won't be able to see the status files on the Toppy, so you'll need to do that with Antares, or whatever, from a PC. (I don't think TopManager has a function for this.)

Julie