Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAPs  ~  New Channel Organiser - Testers Please!

Page 3 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
EMJB
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3645 Location: Maldon Essex
ccs wrote:
If you're daft enough to try scanning for the wrong transmitter, CO reports a problem which allows you to retry, and recover. However, there is a minor problem with the display when selecting another transmitter. Some of the moving graphics from the native 5810 menu are displayed on top of the CO menu, potentially making it impossible to see the transmitter you're looking for.

Cannot reproduce this on my TF5800, so it looks like another TF5810 "feature" to be worked round. Can you please clarify:

(1) Am I right in thinking they never appear on the "Current Channel Summary" page before you return to the scan menu?

(2) What are these "moving graphics"? - can't think of anything like that on the 5800.

(3) What keypress (or other event) starts these graphics appearing in normal (non-TAP) use?

TIA,

EMJB

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2671
EMJB wrote:
Cannot reproduce this on my TF5800, so it looks like another TF5810 "feature" to be worked round. Can you please clarify:

(1) Am I right in thinking they never appear on the "Current Channel Summary" page before you return to the scan menu?

(2) What are these "moving graphics"? - can't think of anything like that on the 5800.

(3) What keypress (or other event) starts these graphics appearing in normal (non-TAP) use?
1) That's where they first appear.

2) When in the native main menu, as you move along from "system settings" to "timer Setting", to "File List" etc,
there is a moving graphic which changes as you select the next item in the (horizontal) list.
It's rectangular, very basic (only a few alternating frames) and takes up about 1/8th of the screen.
I'll try and import an image. (nothing in the manual)

I've just tried again.

If I use the wrong transmitter, after the scan, I see a number of native menu screens pop up for about a second,
winding back from the service search back to the main native menu screen
which blanks out apart from the moving graphics rectangle.

The option to do another scan using recall is partially covered.

If you move to the last screen of transmitters, it's then impossible to clearly see the last but 3,4 and 5.
The rest can be made visible by scrolling.

Last edited by ccs on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Jan 2007 Posts: 4588
If you have a windows pc, you can use the TopManager/PcControl "Take picture of TV option"; you should be able to do this even if CO is being run.
(you could use the screenCapture tap if you don't want/can't use TopManager - but I suspect you know about this tap already)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
ccs
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
If you have a windows pc, you can use the TopManager/PcControl "Take picture of TV option"; you should be able to do this even if CO is being run.
(you could use the screenCapture tap if you don't want/can't use TopManager - but I suspect you know about this tap already)
Cheers!

I've got 2 images, I thought it was possible to post them here without using a URL?

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Suggest you pm EMJB to ask if you can email them to him (you'll probably both find that easier than doing everything through the forum). Once it is all sorted out, you can start using posts again.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
alan_m
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Oct 2006 Posts: 3536
ccs wrote:
I've just tried again.

If I use the wrong transmitter, after the scan, I see a number of native menu screens pop up for about a second,
winding back from the service search back to the main native menu screen which blanks out apart from the moving graphics rectangle.

The option to do another scan using recall is partially covered.

If you move to the last screen of transmitters, it's then impossible to clearly see the last but 3,4 and 5.
The rest can be made visible by scrolling.

Is your Toppy running out of RAM?

Running MyInfo manually will give you information on Free/Available RAM

Alternatively, start the Toppy TAPless (by holding down the 0 key from standby) and then run the TAP to see if you get the same problems.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
Is your Toppy running out of RAM?
No, just tried it.

ccsx
EMJB
Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
@ccs

I am not sure now whether me seeing the images will help, as I have never seen a TF5810 in action, but posting them here might give someone else a bright idea as to what is going wrong. Will PM you an email address, so I can post them if you do not have a website you can use.

One more question - are these images affected in any way as you scroll up/down?

@Other TF5810 Owners

Would be grateful if you could try to reproduce this problem, in case it is some strange interaction with another TAP etc.

@Other TAP Writers

Would be grateful for any suggestions as to possible cause. Have looked through the code and returning to the scan menu does not seem to do anything fundamentally different to moving on to the delete menu - just the different data within the same general menu code.

Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I've just noticed that the corruption also includes the date and time from the native menu in the top right hand corner.

Running Tapless doesn't help either.

ccsx
EMJB
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
@ccs

Thanks for your email with the images - hadn't realised what fancy screens the TF5810 has! The TF5800 has nothing like these.

There seem to be two problems:

(1) When there are no channels, both models are stuck on the native main menu. In the case of the TF5800 the TAP display takes precedence over the main menu, but on the TF5810 the main menu seems to be taking precedence. Does this appear immediately after pressing "Recall", or does the normal CO scan menu appear until you start to scroll down?

(2) Not sure what the graphic on the summary screen is - under what circumstances does it normally appear? If we can't find a better solution, I could always re-design that screen so that it doesn't obscure anything vital.

I had hoped that some other TAP author might have seen and cured similar issues, but at least the former is rather specific to the CO situation. Will post these issues in the TAP development part of the forum when I have your answers to the above.

Incidentally, on the warning screen you are losing part of the message - are you using the standard fonts? I need to shorten the line end in "return to the scan menu".

EMJB

Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
I have just tried this myself now (as a non-MyStuff 5810 user), and get the same result. The animated gif (if that is what it is) is the system settings one and the native clock on the main menu is also displayed over the CO display.
My aerial is rather directional and I can no longer pick up signals from other transmitters, so CO informed me of such.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
ccs
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote
EMJB wrote:
(1) When there are no channels, both models are stuck on the native main menu. In the case of the TF5800 the TAP display takes precedence over the main menu, but on the TF5810 the main menu seems to be taking precedence. Does this appear immediately after pressing "Recall", or does the normal CO scan menu appear until you start to scroll down?

(2) Not sure what the graphic on the summary screen is - under what circumstances does it normally appear? If we can't find a better solution, I could always re-design that screen so that it doesn't obscure anything vital.

Incidentally, on the warning screen you are losing part of the message - are you using the standard fonts? I need to shorten the line end in "return to the scan menu".
(1) The corruption is there before pressing recall.

It looks like the animated gifs, or whatever, are separate from the main menu screen and normally superimpose on top of it.

(2) The graphic I sent you happened to be the one for "File List", which is the route I took to start CO.

The last option you select is remembered when you go back to the main menu.

If I start CO via the program archive, the corruption is the "System Settings" graphic.

I'm not sure what you mean by standard font, I'm not aware of changing it.

(I'm not using font manager).

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I have looked at the images that ccs emailed me (thanks ccs) and I agree that they look nothing like those on a 5800.

My initial thought is that the 5810 is using different graphic planes for different bits of the display with the updating and/or current (last) selection being shown on top of a background dialog.

Tried searching for info about the planes on a 5810 but didn't find anything useful e.g. does it have more than 2.

Do these artefacts also appear when using CO B1.2? If yes, then why hasn't it been reported before? If no, then there must be some significant difference in the way that the two versions are displaying OSDs (and it shows that it should be possible to remove them).

Geoff

EMJB
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:16 am Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:
Do these artefacts also appear when using CO B1.2? If yes, then why hasn't it been reported before? If no, then there must be some significant difference in the way that the two versions are displaying OSDs (and it shows that it should be possible to remove them).

I suspect it hasn't been a problem because you are less likely to end up with no channels, and in any case I suspect most people have been using FastScanGui. As the latter does not seem to being maintained for transmitter changes, I hope people will move to either CO or TopManager.

EMJB

Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Here's a good clue.

I booted tapless, factory reset, and manually scanned a wrong mux, so no channels found.

I was then able to go back to the main menu, where I could start CO from "File List".

The corruption appeared when CO reached the "Channel Scan Page".

When I first select CO, the main menu screen pops up for a split second,

followed by the initial CO pages and then the corruption.

edit: tried again with no channels, but this time ran another tap (timercheckgui, which uses the whole screen)

instead of CO, and the corruption appeared, as expected.

When in the native File List screen, the corruption does not appear,

so there must be some mechanism to avoid it.

Last edited by ccs on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

ccsx