Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  XBMC coders acquire TVonics brand

Page 1 of 1
leona
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2010 Posts: 151 Location: Devon, UK (Tx: Stockland Hil)
This is an interesting article and one to watch for a possible toppy replacement, I like the idea they would create an Open Source Platform for their DVR.
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/10/22/pulse_eight_acquires_tvonics_brand_for_xbmc_box/
I really hope they can revive the IP (text to speech for visually impaired) as I would find this really useful.

The very best bit though was this.
Quote:
He also said the device will also be designed with the RNIB?s constituency of blind and partially sighted people in mind, with features such as more clearly colour-coded connectors, funnelled ports to aid connect-by-feel cable insertion and removal, and Braille port labelling.

What?? a company actually taking accessibility seriously and placing it into their products, I almost fell off my seat, Well done Mr Ellis if this actually gets into production, I will be first in the queue for one.

Leona
-------
Toppy: Pre facelift TF5800 Age: 2005 PSU Refurb: 04/2011 TV: Panasonic TH42PX60B 42" Plasma.
IA: Off TS: On F/W: MS6 Rec: 5.13.65T Dated: 12/9/09 -Sy+Pe TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.4; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.5; TAP Commander 1.34; HDDInfo; MyInfo Sig 14/4/11.
HDD: WD / WD5000AADS / 500Gb Topfield SATA Adaptor PC OS: Ubuntu (12.04)
matt
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
Thanks for this, it is great news!

Although the topic on this is slightly misleading. It's Pulse-Eight that has bought TVonics not XBMC.

The confusion comes from Pulse-Eight being contributors to the XBMC project in that they manage their own builds including their libCEC technology. Their technology allows XBMC devices to work with their main product - the USB-CEC adapter - which allows CEC (control) commands to be sent from a PC to other equipment. For example, I use one on my HTPC so when switched on it will automatically power on my Amp & TV, and switch them to the correct inputs. Same when powering down. Hassle free!

Anyway! If you read their forum they intend to add CEC support to the TVonics boxes, and roll out some new firmware updates for the existing boxes. They are also planning new boxes under the brand name.

One to watch, I think.

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
matt
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 am Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
That was quick! New beta firmware is on the way from Pulse-Eight.

So I took the plunge and ordered a TVonics DTR-HD500 (the pebble shaped one) for 89.99 online. Cheapest I could find.

I'll let you know how it goes.

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
matt
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Just to say that the TVonics, with it's standard firmware is the best unit I've used.

There has been a minor issue with iPlayer red button functionality, but this was fixed with a firmware update. But the rest operates really well.

It turns out Pulse-Eight and RNIB co-own the TVonics stuff. So it should be around for a while. Whether or not we see any additions to the firmware by Pulse-Eight is anybody's guess. There are a few cosmetic things is like to see changed or added.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying the beauty of a box very much.