Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  All my timers show a clash!

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Bundy
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 May 2006 Posts: 151
My 5810 toppy got into a funny state today. It would only show the menu and would not allow you to exit it. The only way I could find out of this state was to reinstall all the channels. Everything is now back to normal, except for the timers. The searches were all preserved and the timers all refound, but all 46 of them have the red exclamation mark beside them that indicates they are clashing with another programme. As far as I can see there are no actual clashes.

I've tried power recycling, recording a programme manually, frequent reboots, but nothing has worked. Has anyone any ideas?

andyfras
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Has your Toppy had its PSU capacitors replaced yet?

Does the clock display correctly when in standby? 5810s have a battery in the front panel to keep the clock going. Some of these now need replacing.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Bundy
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
Has your Toppy had its PSU capacitors replaced yet?

Not yet, but it's only two years old. Could that cause the problem with the timers?

andyfras wrote:
Does the clock display correctly when in standby? 5810s have a battery in the front panel to keep the clock going. Some of these now need replacing.

Yes, the clock is showing the right time.

Thanks

nvingo
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Jul 2010 Posts: 102 Location: Norfolk
Something similar can happen on the Humax PVR9200t.
Cancelling and reinstating the event usually works, indicating that somehow two copies of the event were scheduled (the second invisible).
I cannot remember definitely, but I think I've seen it on MyStuff on the Toppy.

?
Bundy
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
nvingo wrote:
Cancelling and reinstating the event usually works, indicating that somehow two copies of the event were scheduled (the second invisible).

I've tried deleting 3 searches and then reinstating them, but I still get the same problem.

I previously tried reinstalling all the channels again, but it didn't help either.

Thanks

Bundy
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
nvingo wrote:

PS - I also just tried removing a search then replacing it with a single recording rather than a search. This didn't work either. The toppy told me that the new single recording clashed with other recordings and offered me a list of the clashing programmes. The list only had one member: the programme I'd just tried to record. From what you said, I wondered if it would offer me two identical recordings, but it didn't.

I'm mystified.

roga
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2006 Posts: 167
My toppy had a bit of a prob today, possibly due to channel changes - I seemed to lose everything on Ch 26 for a few mins. This is from Crystal Palace transmitter in London.

I ended up doing a channel rescan, for which I used top manager, and all now OK.

?
Bundy
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Now it's gone from bad to worse. I thought I'd take the nuclear option of reinstalling the firmware, to see if that would help. But the toppy was ahead of me. When I turned it on it was displaying the message "Firmware was changed with a latest one. Reset all data is highly recommended. Will you proceed?" with "yes" and "no" options. I can toggle between these options but the toppy will not react to the ok button on either option. I can't get rid of the message. Even a power cycle will not change it.

I also tried my original plan to update the firmware manually, but when I try to download the firmware with the TFD-USB-Download s/w, the message firmly remains on the screen and the firmware does not download.

I'm now completely wedged.Help!

alan_m
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
Bundy wrote:

I also tried my original plan to update the firmware manually, but when I try to download the firmware with the TFD-USB-Download s/w, the message firmly remains on the screen and the firmware does not download.

I assume that you have the Toppy off (standby) - then start up TFDN_USB with the firmware identified and THEN switch the Toppy on. If coming out of standby doesn't work then try switching on via the mains plug.

TFDN_USB only works at the first stage of the Toppy power up sequence. It doesn't do anything if the Toppy is already fully booted.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Another possibility is reception from more than one transmitter. This will lead to all sorts of problems when setting recordings from the EPG.

Incidentally, many 5810s have suffered PSU capacitor failure when only 2 years old. Take the top off and look at the green capacitors; if any are 'doming', they have failed.

See: https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/freeview-and-satellite-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults/TF5810PSUcaps.jpg

Bundy
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:

I assume that you have the Toppy off (standby) - then start up TFDN_USB with the firmware identified and THEN switch the Toppy on. If coming out of standby doesn't work then try switching on via the mains plug.

TFDN_USB only works at the first stage of the Toppy power up sequence. It doesn't do anything if the Toppy is already fully booted.

Yes, I had the toppy on standby when I tried to download the firmware. I've just tried your suggestion of switching on via the mains instead, but I'm afraid this didn't work. It still came up showing the reset message and refusing to allow the download. Thanks for the suggestion though.

What I need is some way of switching it on that bypasses the reset message.

Bundy
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:30 am Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
Another possibility is reception from more than one transmitter. This will lead to all sorts of problems when setting recordings from the EPG.

Ever since previous problems with reception from multiple transmitters, I always retune manually to the specific channels of the nearest transmitter. I did this twice yesterday, so I'm sure this was not the problem.

I suspect that my original problem may have been that the toppy needed retuning. I got messages on my TVs yesterday that retuning might be necessary and found that some some channels were missing. Another possibility is that the toppy did an automatic firmware re-install and got itself into some strange intermediate state.

andyfras wrote:
Incidentally, many 5810s have suffered PSU capacitor failure when only 2 years old. Take the top off and look at the green capacitors; if any are 'doming', they have failed.

See: https://sites.google.com/site/andyfraserelectronics/freeview-and-satellite-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults/TF5810PSUcaps.jpg

I'll have a look to see if they have 'domed'. Thanks for the advice.

andyfras
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Bundy wrote:
Another possibility is that the toppy did an automatic firmware re-install and got itself into some strange intermediate state.

There have been no OTA Toppy firmware updates for years, and there will never be any in future.

Bundy
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:32 am Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:

There have been no OTA Toppy firmware updates for years, and there will never be any in future.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've never had one and wondered if they ever happened.

In that case, the message I'm getting claiming that such an automatic update happened is further evidence of aberrant behaviour from my toppy.

I've tried responding to the message, both 'yes' and 'no' with the ok button on both handset and front panel, but although the led display flashes to indicate the signal is getting through, it is just ignored. I've tried every other button on the handset too, but to no effect. Do you have any thoughts as to what I could do to make the message go away?

Thanks.

juwlz
Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Search for a copy of EmptySettings and install it as if it was firmware. This will Factory Reset the box, and should let you recover normally from there on.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012