Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  New member intro

Page 1 of 1
Andygtd
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:12 am Reply with quote
Hi people
I've very occasionally lurked here as my son has a T5800PVRt and we've realized it's no longer supported 'officially'.
Well, its finally showing signs of age with various lock ups, missing recordings etc etc.
Reading through posts it would seem the PSU was worth checking so I took a few readings (all under load with the HDD spinning connected via scart to a monitor):-

3.3v is 3.32
5v is 4.47
8v is 9.36
12v is 15.15
15v is 19.55
17v is 21.03
22v is 29.9
30v is 37.5

!!! So as you can see it's waaay out of whack with capacitor C22 having a nice little bump on his head - just about ready to pop i think?!
I've contacted Andyfras regarding a capacitor service kit and look forward to getting my fingers burnt once again with my trusty soldering iron Very Happy

Little bit about me... Worked for 37 yrs with BT as an engineer, now semi retired, (which means busier than ever!) enjoy DIY, HiFi, the garden, fixing stuff, driving and watching the (very professional) local band at the pub on Thursday evenings.
This was my last big soldering project which is a friends old 1970's Sony TA-N7 which is held in high esteem in certain circles (The output Vfet's are no longer available and I was *very* aware of this every time the soldering iron got close!)

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:37 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Andygtd wrote:
This was my last big soldering project which is a friends old 1970's Sony TA-N7 which is held in high esteem in certain circles (The output Vfet's are no longer available and I was *very* aware of this every time the soldering iron got close!)

Replacing Toppy PSU capacitors should be a breeze after that project.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
juwlz
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Andygtd wrote:
Hi people
I've very occasionally lurked here as my son has a T5800PVRt and we've realized it's no longer supported 'officially'.
... and hasn't been for quite some years now.

Welcome, and have fun with your soldering.

I assume you've also seen and heeded the advice to leave it unplugged from the mains to prevent further damage until you get to replace the capacitors .

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Andygtd
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the welcome Julie, yes once I did the double take on the high readings it was switched off and won't get switched on till PSU capacitors replaced.
Andy, I'll treat the Toppy with the same respect as the TA-N7.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Soooo...
All capacitors in Andyfras' PSU kit replaced and all voltages are now spot on Very Happy
Have installed the updates/TAP's included in BobD's Mystuff 6.4 download and have to say, what an improvement Cool

Many thanks to all involved with keeping the Toppy series of boxes alive and well, especially Andy Fraser for making the supply of PSU parts a nice easy transaction Very Happy

The 5800 will now go back to my son for his approval (!) and satisfaction.