Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Buying a used 'Topfield T5810t PVR'

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
alan_m
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3505
juwlz wrote:

If you want to use the native UI (i.e. no TAPs) and Freeview+ firmware, then go for a 5810.

On a 5810, and using the native firmware and only the native User Interface, installing a few TAPs would still make it more reliable.

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
alan_m wrote:
juwlz wrote:
If you want to use the native UI (i.e. no TAPs) and Freeview+ firmware, then go for a 5810.
On a 5810, and using the native firmware and only the native User Interface, installing a few TAPs would still make it more reliable.
True .. although I was specifically referring to using the native UI. So I'll rephrase slightly.

If you want to use the native UI rather than using a UI replacement TAP for SeriesLinks, go for the 5810 (except within the Rowridge transmission area, where you'll have to use TAPs anyway due to the issues previously discussed), because the Freeview+ firmware on a 5810 is better than the Freeview+ firmware on a 5800.

If you want to use a UI replacement TAP anyway, go for the 5800 because the firmware is more reliable, the hardware is more reliable (because more vents = less heat = longer life of components) and it has more memory available for TAPs to use.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
ccs
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2586
alan_m wrote:
ccs wrote:
Fortunately, a forum member, R2-D2, fixed these bugs, and it now works very reliably as a freeview+ pvr.

Not all the bugs and the satisfaction of customers depends on how its used.

After spending a couple of hundred quid+ on a 5810 and finding it very unreliable, despite patches and a few TAPs. a friend of mine went out and spent another couple of hundred quid+ on a Humax because "it works without having to F*** around with it".

These days it may be worth looking at the alternatives, especially if you want HD.
I've never understood why the (necessary) updating of firmware and Taps on a 5800 is perfectly acceptable, but if it's a 5810 then it's a total waste of time.

Still, you clearly know best, you've being posting the same comments at every opportunity for years now.

ccsx
Karvindon
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2009 Posts: 192
macmac wrote:
I'm considering buying a used 'Topfield T5810t PVR' from TurboSat.

But it comes without HDD, so
Is it a special HDD, or can I fit a regular HDD, like I might fit in my PC ?

Can I go bigger than 500GB (say 1TB) ?

Or should I also buy the HDD from TurboSat, (they do seem overpriced at 50 for a 500GB)

And is it simply a case of fitting a new drive, or will it need to be Formatted first ?

Also, I already use one of these that I purchased new a while ago:
So to prevent interference between the 2 PVR's, is it possible to change the Frequency, in the Remote-Control and PVR ?

I was looking at the same thing, a tf5810 from TurboSat so I emaild them and got this reply:-
Good afternoon

Unfortunately we would not be able to put a hdd inside the topfield tf5810pvrt as they are sold without hdd.

However you can purchase hdd?s over the internet.

Many Rgds

Michael
So I don't think they sell them, anyway how did you get on and what was the outcome?
Thanks
Derek
Thanks

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website TF5810PVRt
juwlz
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
@Karvindon
I think you may perhaps have put the end quote tag [/quote] right at the end instead of somewhere in the middle in the previous post - it looks as though you've just quoted macmac without adding anything of your own.

Julie

Karvindon
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Hi Julie
Me again, I think I?m getting too old now, I?m sorry I didn?t get it right.

Anyway, my reasons for posting a question, first of all I?m looking to buy a new tf5810 but I can?t find anyone that is selling them apart from two obscure companies on the Internet.
As the information on the Toppy site under ?Where to buy? is in correct I contacted ?Turbosat? Tel: 08712 003 191, I was told Topfield have stopped exporting to the UK and they seem to think I won?t be able to purchase a new one.

With this in mind and as my tf5800 is slowing down and locking up for about 30 seconds I though I would put a new 500gb hard drive in mine to replace the 250 and carry on but, I don?t know if it will take a 500gb and secondly, if it will what hard drive do I buy.

I think the world of my Topfield and Mystuff and don?t want to move away from it.
In need of help.
Take care,
Derek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website TF5810PVRt
andyfras
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Karvindon wrote:
I?m looking to buy a new tf5810 but I can?t find anyone that is selling them apart from two obscure companies on the Internet.

I may have one available soon.

Quote:
With this in mind and as my tf5800 is slowing down and locking up for about 30 seconds I though I would put a new 500gb hard drive in mine to replace the 250 and carry on but, I don?t know if it will take a 500gb and secondly, if it will what hard drive do I buy.

Have the PSU capacitors been replaced yet? If not, do not consider replacing the HDD until they have.

Both types of Toppy will take drives up to 2TB. It's now difficult to find suitable drives with a PATA (IDE) interface, so the best option is a SATA drive with an adapter.

See the first 2 stickies here:

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
fhjones
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Feb 2009 Posts: 165
Quote:
Anyway, my reasons for posting a question, first of all I?m looking to buy a new tf5810 but I can?t find anyone that is selling them apart from two obscure companies on the Internet.
As the information on the Toppy site under ?Where to buy? is in correct I contacted ?Turbosat? Tel: 08712 003 191, I was told Topfield have stopped exporting to the UK and they seem to think I won?t be able to purchase a new one.

Turbosat do non-HDD 5810s on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Topfield-T5810t-PVR-No-HDD-FITTED-/251047848667?pt=UK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes&hash=item3a739e2adb

They are down to 50 quid now and one that I got seemed to be new.

Last edited by fhjones on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
juwlz
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Karvindon wrote:
As andyfras says, look at getting it repaired - a PSU repair by either him or MikeyP will be far cheaper and certainly more cost effective than buying a 5810 (which, btw, will be harder work to look after than a 5800, both on the software side, because it has less memory, and on the hardware side because it has fewer ventilation slots to tends to overheat more easily, so will need the services of andyfras/MikeyP more often than a 5800 would).

If you ask nicely, Andyfras will be happy to fit a larger, eco-friendly hard drive and adapter for you if you want to get one, and I suspect MikeyP probably would too.

Julie

Karvindon
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Hi All,
Now I?m getting steadily more confused, but here goes.
On reading the postings I think I?m right in saying I?m being advised to keep my tf5800 but purchase a PSU kit and change the PSU?s.
Now this could be a problem because I don?t know what PSU?s are, what it/they look like or how to replace them.
?PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available?
Please could I have some details on cost and if I?m capable of replacing them as a novice.
I can replace the hard drive, I did it about 18 months ago but that was like for like, and it?s been ok up to now.

So what would the powers to be suggest?
Buy a non-HDD 5810s from Turbosat on EBay and fit say a 500gb hard drive in it and cross my fingers it works, I did see them advertised but got confused as to what hard drive to fit.
Personally, I would like some advice on refurbishing my tf5800 and buy a tf5810 from Turbosat on EBay and fit the 500 gb hard drive to keep as a spare or use both.
About now I?m starting to flag and I?m in need of a pint.
Thanks for any help that follows.
Take care,
Derek

roga
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2006 Posts: 167
There are a couple of people on here who will upgrade your PSU for you if you send the whole box over to them: andyfras gave me some info recently when I sent him a PM (private message).

BTW I have a spare 5810 as the last time my other toppy died I had real withdrawl symptoms & I'm thinking about getting the PSU upgraded on that.

?
Karvindon
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the quick response, if you don?t mind a question:-
How do I send andyfras a private message as, like you I know I?ll get withdrawal symptoms without my Toppy that?s why I wanted a spare.

I will ask andyfras about a referb, I think in one of his postings he said had a box for sale so I?ll give that a go as well.
Maybe I can buy the spare first that way I can stay sane.
Thanks again for your help.
Take care,
Derek

Karvindon
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Hi
Sorry again, er in doors is calling so I'll have to reply to you tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Derek

andyfras
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Karvindon wrote:
How do I send andyfras a private message

Click on the 'pm' button at the bottom of this post.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
juwlz
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
Karvindon wrote:
On reading the postings I think I?m right in saying I?m being advised to keep my tf5800 but purchase a PSU kit and change the PSU?s.
Now this could be a problem because I don?t know what PSU?s are, what it/they look like or how to replace them.
PSU = Power Supply Unit. The whole unit is relatively easy to remove, but will need a steady hand, a multimeter and a soldering iron to repair.
Quote:
?PSU repair service or capacitor kits for DIY available?
Please could I have some details on cost and if I?m capable of replacing them as a novice.
See here for info about repairs (the same link as in my earlier post. That will give you an idea of cost, and links to a website for how to do a DIY repair - if you want to! Or just contact andyfras.
Quote:
I can replace the hard drive, I did it about 18 months ago but that was like for like, and it?s been ok up to now.
The PSU will fail on Toppies, and that, in turn often causes disk problems.
Quote:
So what would the powers to be suggest?

Buy a non-HDD 5810s from Turbosat on EBay and fit say a 500gb hard drive in it and cross my fingers it works, I did see them advertised but got confused as to what hard drive to fit.
As you're a MyStuff user, you'd probably be better off looking out for a 2nd hand 5800, rather than a 5810 (see a much earlier post in this thread and more detail about Toppy memory on 5800 vs 5810 here - the link also appears earlier in this thread). If you get a 2nd hand one, send it off for a pre-emptive repair before relying on it.
Quote:
Personally, I would like some advice on refurbishing my tf5800 and buy a tf5810 from Turbosat on EBay and fit the 500 gb hard drive to keep as a spare or use both.
Don't worry about DIY - just get in touch with andyfras and give either the whole Toppy or the PSU to him to repair. If you send/take the whole Toppy, he can also fit an adapter and ecofriendly disk drive for you (and advise on suitable ones to buy for it).

Julie