Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Picture and sound unwatchable since DSO (and a disk wipe)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
JulesB
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the essay that follows but I'm trying to work out whether my Toppy has died and I need to upgrade. I think I've searched the forums pretty thoroughly but am still baffled.

I have a TF5800 (C456) bought late 2005, it's been back to TurboSat in Aug 2009 who replaced M/B, PSU etc, and I've replaced the hard drive a few times. I'm in South London, and the external aerial points at Crystal Palace transmitter.

Despite all the marvellous info and options on this site I've been running the Freeview+ firmware (5.14.09?) without problems for a very long time. I'm not much of a tinkerer, though I did go through and delete all unwanted channels.

On and after the 4th April first stage DSO after multiple Resets and Rescans most BBC channels (all apparently on the same single mux channel) were unwatchable - blocky, smeary, half-screen freezes, and the sound was atrocious, but all other channels were fine. I reset about 12 timers on non-BBC channels, which recorded as expected.

Late on the 18th April after a Reset and Rescan all channels were unwatchable, noticed there were a few duplicates so manually removed the low signal ones.

Over the next couple of days I days I Reset and Rescanned without improvement, and checked the web (mainly these forums) to see if anyone here had similar issues.

Over the weekend (21/22 April) I took the plunge and finally installed MyStuff 6.4 (using the installer package) and carefully following the instructions.

Since then have Reset and Rescanned and used Channel Organiser and FastScanGUI to scan and delete unwanted channels again without improvement. The Signal TAP in the utilities folder shows everything above 80 and most at 100.

Spoke to TurboSat technical yesterday and amongst other suggestions they gave me a list of muxes to manually scan which still made no difference. The Toppy showed Level and Quality at pretty much 100% for
each mux. The call ended with check the aerial and/or send it to them to put on the bench and look at.

Weird thing is that my LG tv's antenna is looped through the Toppy's tuners and when I rescanned the tv its digital tuner gets all stations fine - so it's been back to live telly - after years of Toppy viewing that's a really unpleasant shock.

I wonder if anyone has any ideas/help?

And then the worst thing - being unable to view/record on the Toppy I've been watching stuff from the Toppy's Archive. Last night after watching then deleting a couple of episodes of a series I went to delete the just-watched episode from the archive and I got a message that if I continued I'd reformat the hard drive. Clicked cancel, and then got a bog-standard Toppy dialogue box.

Was a bit puzzled since I'd already got used to the vast improvement MyStuff made to using the Toppy, so went into the archive and everything had been deleted - MyStuff, all the folders and utilities it installed, all recordings, the MyInfo file I had intended to post today to ask for help on the reception issues I've got, everything.

Hooked it up to Altair this morning to double-check and it can see:
a folder with the episode I had watched and attempted to delete and the next episode in the series;
one other folder with some episodes from another series; and
one random recording.

So four other folders of tv series, about 47 movies, and all TAPs etc have just disappeared.

So my final question - is there any way to get those recordings back? I have used TopfHDReadWrite in the past to bulk copy recordings but they've been visible on the Toppy.

Again sorry for the length of this post/question, but I feel stuck - do I just give up on Topfield and go get a Humax or Icecrypt HD box?

Thanks

Julian

ccs
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2588
JulesB wrote:
So my final question - is there any way to get those recordings back? I have used TopfHDReadWrite in the past to bulk copy recordings but they've been visible on the Toppy.
Last question first - TopfHDRW can be used to repair "broken" discs, so even though Altair shows very few files, there is a chance they can still be recovered.

ccsx
JulesB
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Hi ccs, yes good point, I think I had read something on here about recovering files using a sub programme of TopfHDRW - back to the search function. Thanks.

Sudbury_Dave
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Feb 2012 Posts: 28 Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
JulesB wrote:
it's been back to TurboSat in Aug 2009 who replaced M/B, PSU etc,

Have you checked the PSU voltages? It could well be that your capacitors are on the way out, causing the odd behaviour, the original PSU capacitors had a life expectancy of ~ 3years!

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/7/13
?
Darucla
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
The first thing to do is remove the disc and try to recover the files as outlined. If successful, you can then add Myinfo to get a reading of channels and patches etc. But you are well advised to check the voltages to see if the capacitors are OK. Turbosat may only have replaced failing ones, and there are others which can cause problems as well.

In any case, your best bet to get it checked if necessary is to contact either andyfras or MikeyP (from this forum), who know more about the problems and give a much less expensive service than anyone else.
JulesB
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Um, might be a stupid question, but how would I check the PSU voltages? Not sure I've come across that mentioned on here.

Sudbury_Dave
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Feb 2012 Posts: 28 Location: Sudbury, Suffolk
JulesB wrote:
Um, might be a stupid question, but how would I check the PSU voltages? Not sure I've come across that mentioned on here.

Take a look in the wiki here

TAPs: PcControl B1.3; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; MyInfo B5.6; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/7/13
?
juwlz
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Sudbury_Dave wrote:
JulesB wrote:
Take a look in the wiki here
... or if you don't fancy wielding a multimeter and soldering iron, you can get it repaired very economically - your nearest option is AndyFras (in Fleet, Hampshire) and take / send it to him to check / replace them. He'll do a better job of it than Turbosat these days.

NB: Retuning is one of the things that can stress PSUs and push a previously well-behaving one over the edge.

Note that the longer you leave a dodgy PSU without repair (even if you're only using the Toppy as a Freeview box), the more likely it is that you'll do permanent damage to other components such as the hard drive or tuners. Unplugging from the mains would be a wise move until it's been repaired (or checked and given a clean bill of health).

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
JulesB wrote:
The Signal TAP in the utilities folder shows everything above 80 and most at 100.
Quality or Strength. Strength should ideally be below 100%, but Quality MUST be over about 98%. It is possible to have problems with the picture if the signal is TOO strong, and Signal Monitor will never report anything higher than 100%. Since DSO the signal strength has most likely increased, so you may need an attenuator (or to remove a signal booster if you needed one before).

Julie

JulesB
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Many thanks for the quick replies and info.

The HDD is being scanned by TopfHD right now - hopefully doing it correctly, due to finish in an hour or so.

TurboSat said they'd replaced the whole PSU unit back in 2009 (some plug incompatability or something). If I can't find my multimeter I'll ping Andyfras and try to sort out a health check.

I suppose I'd been thinking that since it had been working fine for so long that if it plays up after the switchover and changing the firmware then those events must be the reason. Though when I think about it, it's probably had more retunes/scans in the last three weeks than in the rest of its life, so quite possible it's overstressed.

Re the signal strength, I had read a page buried in a post about >100% strength but couldn't find it to read again. I can't change the aerial so if that is the cause guess I'm out of luck. Just really don't want Sky or Virgin.

Thanks again,

Julian

juwlz
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
JulesB wrote:
Re the signal strength, I had read a page buried in a post about >100% strength but couldn't find it to read again. I can't change the aerial so if that is the cause guess I'm out of luck. Just really don't want Sky or Virgin.
Attenuators are cheap, and just plug in between the aerial and the Toppy (like a booster, but in reverse).

Julie

alan_m
Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3511
JulesB wrote:

Re the signal strength, I had read a page buried in a post about >100% strength but couldn't find it to read again.

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=249354#249354

Quote:

I can't change the aerial so if that is the cause guess I'm out of luck.

If the problem is too much signal:
Remove any booster/amplifier behind the TV.
Bypass any distribution amplifier.
Buy an in-line attenuator.

Another possible cause:
Although your "local" transmitter may have increased the power the same is true of distant transmitters. Whereas before your Toppy may not have been able to see the signals from a distant transmitter after DSO it now may be able to see 2, 3 or 4 different transmitters. You may be deleting duplicates from the wrong transmitter leaving signals from a distant transmitter which could be unreliable.

Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Managed to recover most of the recordings and am working through them to see how intact they are (thanks for the heads up ccs regarding that aspect of TopfHD) - about 60GB missing and so far a few files end abruptly. TopfHD is a pretty clever tool, though I didn't really understand what I was doing.

Read through that PSU wiki (many thanks Sudbury_Dave), found the multimeter, got all set to check voltages and on plugging the Toppy in heard a faint zzzzzttt and nothing else happened. No lights, no HDD spinning up.

So Julwz I suspect you might be right, the multiple channel scans must have been a bit too much for it.

I seem to have a lot of brown Sam Young capacitors, so I think my Toppy might need to go on a trip to visit AndyFras - assuming he's receiving visitors.

Thanks all for your help.

Julian

Bizman
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
JulesB wrote:
I seem to have a lot of brown Sam Young capacitors, so I think my Toppy might need to go on a trip to visit AndyFras - assuming he's receiving visitors.
Send him a PM and arrange a mutually convenient time.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
andyfras
Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Darucla wrote:
Turbosat may only have replaced failing ones, and there are others which can cause problems as well.

They had replaced 3 (which were still OK) but most of the rest had failed, including C9 which prevented the PSU from starting. Anyone who has had a Turbosat PSU 'repair' should consider replacing the rest of the capacitors as soon as possible.

TopfHDDoctor was unable to recover any playable files, so a reformat was performed. The disk now appears to be OK and I have installed MyStuff etc.

JulesB tells me that his Toppy is now working perfectly and the reception issues are no longer apparent.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ