Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  MyStuff  ~  my stuff

Page 1 of 1
struthers
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
hi

Can i install my stuff without being on line I have tried to install mystuff without success Embarassed

Bill
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:54 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4384
You need to be online to use the MyStuff installer (it fetches files across the internet as it runs).

If the pc is within 10m of the toppy, you could use 2 usb cables to connect to it (5m standarad + 5m active). I also believe that you can now get 10-15m cables (supposedly better quality cables, although the USB spec says that 5m is the maximum). Other alternatives are to use devices that send the data via the power cables and/or USB devices that use a RJ45 network cable (these are ok for upgrading but not suitable for transferring recordings)

Assuming you have a windows pc, you could take the toppy to the pc. You don't need an aerial; just press '0' while it boots. Then run the myStuff installer. It probably helps if you have a TV connected but I don't think this is essential.

If you can't use an extender or move the toppy to the pc e.g. you are updating it in a different house, then you can copy the MyStuff zip kit to the pc and perform a manual install (just like a mac user has to do).

If you can, using the windows installer is the better/easier mechanism; especially as it can upgrade the firmware at the same time.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
juwlz
Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
If, for some reason, you can't take the Toppy to an internet connected Windows PC, the sticky thread ** Everything you ever wanted to know about MyStuff ** contains many useful links, including a link to the thread that tells you what the installer does so that you can install it manually.

It does A LOT, so it's easier by far if you can use the installer. That's why CW wrote it.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
bugbear
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Sep 2007 Posts: 227
I have a hacked together perl version of the installer (probably more like a installer-script compatible batch file...) that can do all the downloads separately from doing the install (actually it caches the downloads, and you can just copy the cache).

It should run on anything that runs perl.

It ain't exactly friendly, but it's better than doing a manual install.

Since the introduction of the installer, the complexity of the install has gone up, since the motivation to keep it simple no longer applies.

BugBear

Bill Joy
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 28/5/16