Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  What Hard Drive Should I Go For Next In My TF5800PVR?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ngc1967
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 16 Jul 2006 Posts: 142
I had a 1.5TB Samsung HD154UI SATA hard drive in my TF5800 but this has recently siezed up so I am looking to replace it.

I would like to go for a 2TB but there are only a couple that are listed as able to work with the Topfield and I have read in another post that 2TB is right on the Topfield's capability limits and funny things may happen!

Has anyone got any views on this or have been using a 2TB drive happily.

My dilema is that I had approx. 1.3TB of data stored on my old drive (due to my wife, kids and myself storing all kinds of programmes to watch anytime we wanted as a sort of 'On Demand' facility) I want to transfer these files over (probably by paying an external data retrieval company) but if I was to go for the same size I would only have 200GB left so it would make sense to go for a bigger drive. Wouldn't it?
ccs
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2626
ngc1967 wrote:
My dilema is that I had approx. 1.3TB of data stored on my old drive
This will explain why TopfHDRW didn't work (taken from another thread) - it can only manage discs up to a maximum of 1Tb capacity.

ccsx
juwlz
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I would be inclined to archive the old recordings to something that isn't reliant on the proprietary Toppy file system, and attempt to keep your Toppy's recordings down to a level that TopfHDRW can manage to recover if the worst should happen again (bearing in mind that the firmware has a bug that can cause disk wipes under certain circumstances even if there's no problem with the hardware).

That's always assuming you can find somebody to recover the files from your old drive, of course. If you can't, you've got 1.3Tb of extra free space anyway Wink

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
ngc1967
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
I would be inclined to archive the old recordings to something that isn't reliant on the proprietary Toppy file system, and attempt to keep your Toppy's recordings down to a level that TopfHDRW can manage to recover if the worst should happen again

That's not a bad idea. I could have a 2TB hard drive attached (in a caddy) to my PC and turn it on everytime I want to transfer files over from the Topfield or watch them via VLC on my PC.

If I had the majority of files on there I could keep the Topfield disc space down to below 1TB. (Still using the old 1.5TB drive, providing it isn't damaged - I haven't been able to analyze it too much for fear of losing everything)
juwlz
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
There are plenty of media players that can play back your archives stuff (or 25 worth of Raspberry Pi plus an external hard drive, an HDMI cable and various Open Source software solutions).

An All-in-one remote control can be used to make it easy for family members to use the device they need.

There's no need to risk your archive recordings on a proprietary file system on a drive that's too big to be recovered with the tools available for the job.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Darucla
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
I take it that you are sure the HDD is the problem, and not the PSU?
andyfras
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
Darucla wrote:

I provided a capacitor kit to ngc1967 at the end of January 2012.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
fhjones
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Feb 2009 Posts: 165
Quote:
I would like to go for a 2TB but there are only a couple that are listed as able to work with the Topfield and I have read in another post that 2TB is right on the Topfield's capability limits and funny things may happen!

Has anyone got any views on this or have been using a 2TB drive happily.

I had a 2TB drive in my TF5800 and I lost my recordings. The conclusion that I came to at the time was that a 2TB drive was pushing things too far, but I don't know if that is the case. I do know that some SATA hard drive enclosures have a limit to the size of drive that will work in them, so I assume that there could be similar constraints with a TF5800 with a PATA/SATA bridge installed.

A full 2TB drive is nearly a year's worth of recordings at 3 hours a day and I decided that that is too much to lose in one go, so I removed the 2TB drive and installed a 1TB drive instead, backing up to a computer stuff that I want to keep. . . When I remember!
jof
Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2009 Posts: 26
Hi,
I have a near full 2TB drive (WD20EARS) in my TF5800 (10GB free) and it's still working fine.
But, I've recently had a different WD20EARS in a PC give up the ghost, so I want to change my Toppy disk pronto.

The problem is that the only way I can archive anything is via USB which is far too slow for 2TB worth of data. This is due to the fact that the Toppy filesystem is proprietary and, as mentioned above, TopfHDRW will only work upto 1TB. So I painted myself into a corner there.

My plan now is to replace the 2TB disk with a 2.5" laptop 1TB disk.
That means that I can just hang the SATA cables out the back allowing for easy removal of the disk for moving the files onto a PC 2TB disk with TopfHDRW.
The laptop drives usually have better operating temperature ranges and failure rates and start/stop cycles.
Has anyone else tried using one? Please let me know if you have.

So, I'd advise not to get a 2TB disk.
Hope that helps.

mstombs
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Dec 2006 Posts: 938
You scare me - the "1.5TB Samsung HD154UI SATA hard drive in my TF5800" also has 1.3TB recorded (I try to manage min 15% free) and I still haven't changed the caps. Slug connection broken - slug no longer unslung it can't see its external HDD. I do have backup Toppy with noisy 160GB drive been meaning to set up - must do it soon - and when I do will test the ability of the Linux tools to read more than 1TB.

Have you looked at cost of getting 3rd party recovery? You might have to extend your mortgage. Also do check your warranty status - I understand Seagate honour the original 3 year warranty on these drives - but never the data!
ngc1967
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for everyone's replies - much appreciated for your views.
andyfras wrote:
Darucla wrote:

I provided a capacitor kit to ngc1967 at the end of January 2012.

I did actually change the capacitors a few weeks ago with the capacitors andyfras sent and everything seems to work fine in the Toppy.

My 1.5TB Samsung HD154UI SATA hard drive was running the Serieslink firmware but there was the odd glitch (in that it wouldn't see the HDD sometimes on start-up) I changed the firmware down to 5.13.65T (via HDRW on the Toppy itself) and added a few extra TAPs. That's when it froze and would no longer work - I don't whether it is a software problem or a major fault with the drive. As it is over 1TB TopfHDRW can't do anything to retrieve the data. I can try to format it but then I've lost all my data which is my highest priority at the moment.

fhjones wrote:
I had a 2TB drive in my TF5800 and I lost my recordings. The conclusion that I came to at the time was that a 2TB drive was pushing things too far, but I don't know if that is the case. I do know that some SATA hard drive enclosures have a limit to the size of drive that will work in them, so I assume that there could be similar constraints with a TF5800 with a PATA/SATA bridge installed.

At the moment I am using an old 250GB SATA drive in my TF5800 which seems to work but its not a permanent solution

I think I will get a 2TB hard drive for my PC to archive the recordings. I will bear in mind the Caddy constraints and get one that will allow for it.

mstombs wrote:
Have you looked at cost of getting 3rd party recovery? You might have to extend your mortgage.

I've made some enquiries and I've got a quote for 97 to retrieve the data (no charge if they can't). Its a lot but I've got some sentimental recordings.
FireBird
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 358 Location: Vienna/Austria
FYI: I?ve just uploaded an updated version of TopfHDRW, which should handle disks larger than 1TB. ?Should? means that I couldn?t do any tests because of missing hardware. jof successfully copied some files from his 1.9TB drive, but this is it and I think it has only be done in the Toppy HD -> PC direction. There is another magic value, which overflows at 2TB (net) and I?m not sure if HDRW can handle these drives. In theory, it should be able to handle disks up to the absolute maximum of the FAT24 file system (4TB ? 64MB).

Thanks to jof for taking the risks and testing. Very Happy

Last edited by FireBird on Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
fhjones
Posted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Feb 2009 Posts: 165
Quote:
I think I will get a 2TB hard drive for my PC to archive the recordings.

That is what I have done, but I haven't installed it yet. I am backing up to a smaller drive at the moment. Toppy to PC transfer doesn't take that long, especially with the U and Uu TAPs unstalled.
Quote:
I've made some enquiries and I've got a quote for 97 to retrieve the data (no charge if they can't). Its a lot but I've got some sentimental recordings.

You could try backing up your most important stuff first and do the rest at a later date, but FireBird's updated version of TopfHDRW could be a better solution.
faquanto
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I've been trying to use the updated version of HDRW on a 1.5TB disk.

I'm running HDRW on XP in a Parallels VM on a Mac. I copied the dll file into the windows system32 directory and replaced the previous version.

Copying from the usb connected 1.5TB toppy disk to the XP C: drive

HDRW will let me initiate a copy from the Toppy disk to the XP disk but HDRW crashes every time the first copy completes. If I select multiple files to copy, it crashes after the first file completes.

Am I doing something wrong? If not I'm happy to supply the crash report if that is helpful.
ryclark
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
Edit to remove silly question. Embarassed

?