Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  My 5800 is on the fritz again.

Page 1 of 1
PeterW123456
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Hi

I had the 5800 repaired by Andy just before Xmas and it soon developed problems with playback stopping Andy suggested the HD may be the problem. Any recorded program that stopped playback was put into a folder so that part of the HD couldn't be used again. I get the same problems as before I had it repaired, saying there is new firmware, intermittently won't run and nothing now will play without stopping and now when I switch it on it loads and tries to run, but switches itself off.

Any suggestions as to why it has only lasted 3 months? Is there an underlying problem with the 5800?

Regards
Peter

Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
It is almost certainly a HDD problem; I suspect that it is corrupted or physically damaged.

If you disconnect the HDD, does the Toppy behave OK as a Freeview receiver? If so, the disk may be recoverable by connecting it to a PC running TopfHDRW/TopfHDDoctor.

Otherwise, if you can bring it back to me, I'll check it.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
PeterW123456
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
It is almost certainly a HDD problem; I suspect that it is corrupted or physically damaged.

If you disconnect the HDD, does the Toppy behave OK as a Freeview receiver?

I will try and have a go at that tomorrow, thanks for the pointer.

andyfras wrote:
If so, the disk may be recoverable by connecting it to a PC running TopfHDRW/TopfHDDoctor.

I am a Mac user, is there any Mac app that does the same? I can run virtual PC but it is windows 98, will that run opfHDRW/TopfHDDoctor?

andyfras wrote:
Otherwise, if you can bring it back to me, I'll check it.

Thanks Andy, that's good to know, but I will try disconnecting the HD.

I have ordered a cheap pvr from ebuyer just incase the 5800 is kaput. Since I posted, I have tried it again and it actually runs, for now.

Regards
Peter

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:

If you disconnect the HDD, does the Toppy behave OK as a Freeview receiver? If so, the disk may be recoverable by connecting it to a PC running TopfHDRW/TopfHDDoctor.

I took out the HD and it worked okay. The only other drives I had available were 2, 100GB Deathstars and a Seagate 320 GB. The toppy didn't like the Deathstars, so I tried the 320GB seagate even though the compatibility list has it down as not working. It is working fine for the moment and none of the recorded items has stopped playbackso far.

Thanks again, for saving the 5800 from landfill, a second time Very Happy

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
PeterW123456 wrote:
the compatibility list has it down as not working. It is working fine for the moment
I haven't checked why this particular drive is listed as not working, but some drives will work initially, but not last for long before problems arise. I suggest you have a Plan B ready.

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
PeterW123456
Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Bizman wrote:
PeterW123456 wrote:
the compatibility list has it down as not working. It is working fine for the moment
I haven't checked why this particular drive is listed as not working, but some drives will work initially, but not last for long before problems arise. I suggest you have a Plan B ready.

I have a seagate 1.5TB sata drive unused, so I will look to getting an adapter and try that when problems arise with the 320GB. I bought the 1.5TB drive when it was about 60 from ebuyer, now I would be lucky to get a 500GB for that price.