Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  VERIFYING FILES

Page 1 of 1
SAMINA
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:06 pm Reply with quote
H i everyone
i am not tech savvy in any way so respones in plain simple terms would be appreciated.I have a TF5800 version TF - NPT 5.13.65T APRIL 14th 2009 C1.01 V5.3.36 and it does a verifying files thing when it trys to record something and does not record the program and show 0mb in the recordings list.
How can i fix this please - thankyou all.
samina
juwlz
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Try switching off at the wall, leaving it switching off for a couple of minutes, and then switching back on again. This may fix it for now, but it may only be temporary.

Where do you live / which transmitter do you receive your signal from? Has your region recently had any DSO changes? If so, have you done a Factory Reset followed by a channel scan? (It may be that you are trying to record a channel that no longer exists, or is a duplicate channel.)

How old is your Toppy?

If it's refusing to record anything, it may be having trouble accessing the hard drive, which is most likely due to failing capacitors in the PSU (a common and easy-to-get-fixed problem).

andyfras in Fleet, Hampshire or MikeyP in Bolton both offer a quick turnaround repair service for less than the price of a meal for two at a typical steakhouse chain. Send them a PM for details.

In the meantime, if you don't think the issue is DSO-related, unplug the Toppy from the mains to attempt to avoid any permanent hard drive damage. It's possible that it's already too late, depending on whether you have been ignoring other signs of abnormal behaviour, but many a Toppy with an apparently damaged hard drive has been revived by a timely PSU repair.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
SAMINA
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:58 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply - i was going to try what you suggested and found that it was frozen on a menu were i could not exit.The only thing i coud do was a search channels and then i could exit the menu.
I think you are right when you have mentioned that the disk might be more damaged because i have this problem for some timeI thought it was due to my bbc channels breaking up and that was due to tv aerial then once that was fixed i still have this problem. Sad
andyfras
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
The disk is probably OK, but you must unplug the mains to your Toppy until the PSU capacitors have been replaced.

See my sig below for repair options.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
SAMINA
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
What are PSU Capacitors can they easily be fixed at not too much cost should i just by another receiver.....will psu capacitors definetly fix the problem ?
juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Capacitors are components in the Power Supply Unit. It's a well-known point of failure in Toppies. Nobody can possibly guarantee that replacing them will fix your Toppy, but there's a better than 95% chance that it will. However, the good news is that they're inexpensive to replace.

andyfras in Fleet, Hampshire or MikeyP in Bolton both offer a quick turnaround repair service for less than the price of a meal for two at a typical steakhouse chain. Send them a PM for details. Alternatively, andyfras can supply a capacitor kit for a DIY repair more cheaply than the minimum order value from reputable suppliers.

You'd be wise to heed the advice you've been given unplug your Toppy from the mains.

Right NOW.

And leave it unplugged until you or anyfras/MikeyP have repaired it.

Once capacitors start to fail, the knock-on effects can sometimes escalate and quickly affect other parts of your hardware, such as the hard drive, which are more expensive to repair / replace.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
andyfras
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
PM sent to SAMINA.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
SAMINA
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Hi all
i would just like to thank everyone for there kind advice as i have my toppy fixed and back on the road lol i would especially like to thank mikey p in bolton for his great service in repairing my toppy Smile