Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Toppy fan mod help

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
juwlz
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
alan_m wrote:
Quote:
Slot 0: MyInfo B5.6 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
This is an old version of Mystuff and the latest version has some improvements to make the Mystuff/Toppy combination more reliable.
Ignore this. The log shows you have MyInfo installed and running, not MyStuff. You have the most up to date version of MyInfo. You don't currently have MyStuff installed at all.

You may choose to install MyStuff with the Recommended Firmware, as suggested by others, (in which case you will need to Factory Reset and scan for channels again AFTER the firmware change - and then delete all the dross again). There is a Windows installer for MyStuff that can also update the firmware for you, but that's separate from MyInfo. It will also install a selection of other necessary and utility TAPs (such as MyInfo, HDDInfo and SignalMontor) into a Utilities folder in ProgramFiles.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
alan_m
Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
juwlz wrote:
alan_m wrote:
Quote:
Slot 0: MyInfo B5.6 : Displays & records Toppy basic info
This is an old version of Mystuff and the latest version has some improvements to make the Mystuff/Toppy combination more reliable.
Ignore this. The log shows you have MyInfo installed and running, not MyStuff. You have the most up to date version of MyInfo. You don't currently have MyStuff installed at all.

My apologies to Buzzy. I actually read misread the signature in the original post and have been giving duff advice with regards Mystuff ever since Sad

However, I believe much of the other advice is correct Smile

Last edited by alan_m on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Im still working on the list not there yet Fan kit just arrived w/end project.
Thanks for the amendment on My Info I did start looking for a newer version without success now I know why .
Buzzy

buzzy
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Hi Have now completed fan mod fitted fan parallel to slots at front right did some slight modification to 2 slots for fan fixing holes to align used the rubber mountings as supplied found it difficult to pull rubber mounts into fan housing I thought I was going to snap them so I made holes in fan housing slightly larger to ease fitting.
Connected Molex adapter from ebay switched on.
Nothing happening very Quiet fan not revolving traced fault to Molex adapter had to cut red wire on fly lead and re-solder success fan now working .Fan can be heard in Quite Lounge can?t here it when TV on mod has improved temp inside Toppy.
Have now installed Channel Organiser Tap works well in getting rid of those unwanted channels. Installed top Manager could not get to grips with this will have to try harder. Slowly getting through all you recommendations
Buzzy

MickKi
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Aug 2008 Posts: 203
Is it possible to post a photo of where the fan is meant to be connected?

I am thinking of buying a fan to keep my hard drive and case cool(er), but have not yet settled on a candidate.

I have been looking at this one but I am not sure how/where to connect it.

Also, did you try running the HDD Info tap, with and without the fan operating, to see what difference it made in the reported drive temperature?

TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -FmSy+EvPeUWf
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 7/11/15
alan_m
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
MickKi wrote:

I have been looking at this one but I am not sure how/where to connect it.

It's 34mm deep so possibly wouldn't fit inside a Toopy case.

[EDIT] Removed comment about speed control [/EDIT]

You need to look for a 80mm or 60mm fan, depth 25mm

Electrical connection : you buy a MOLEX to fan converter for around 1 to 2. You remove the white MOLEX connector from the back of the hard disk. Plug this connector into the adapter and the other end of the adapter back into the hard disk. The adapter will have a flying lead with a fan connector. You need to find an adapter with the correct fan connector to match your fan's connector.
Example of the type of thing to look for

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Molex-passthrough-to-standard-3-pin-fan-power-/390167321941?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5ad7c8dd55

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Fan-Power-Adaptor-4-Pin-Male-Female-Molex-Fan-connector-/120974754838?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item1c2aa84416

Quote:

Also, did you try running the HDD Info tap, with and without the fan operating, to see what difference it made in the reported drive temperature?

On my 5800, using HDDInfo, a 60mm fan running at approx 1000 rpm blowing out and fitted to the top cover on the right had side of the hard disk reduced the temperature by at least 10C

My fan arrangement - but other posters may have other ideas.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=246635#246635

If you use cable ties to fix the fan you can feed them out of one slot on the top of the case and back in on adjacent slot.

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
It's 34mm deep so possibly wouldn't fit inside a Toopy case.

Oops! I missed this rather important dimension. Embarassed

Thank you for pointing this out and for a detailed response.

Is the 1,000rpm max recommendation so as to limit the noise?

Most of the fans that I see advertised are running at higher max speeds of 1,500 to 2,500, e.g.:

Arctic-Cooling-F8-PWM

Arctic-Cooling-2000RPM-Silent-Performance

Or the cheapest ever fan at 1,500rpm (must be a typo I guess?) Xilence-Red-Wing-80mm

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0; MyInfo B5.6;
alan_m
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:41 pm Reply with quote
MickKi wrote:

Is the 1,000rpm max recommendation so as to limit the noise?

In my experience take a fan above 1500 rpm and the "air flow noise becomes objectionable. I mount the fans on the underside of the Toppy lid without any mechanical modifications to the Toppy metalwork. The air has to pass out through the existing slots which restrict what the fan can push out. I have 2 Toppys, one is running a 80mm fan at 1000rpm and the other a 60mm slightly faster. Both fans were purchased fairly cheaply from Ebay but I did have to search a bit to find slower running fans @12V

You can run a fan slower by running it at a lower voltage either by inserting a series resistor or by modifying a MOLEX fan adapter to supply 7V instead of 12V

Resistor
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Cooling-Cooler-Fan-Speed-Reduce-4-Pin-Resistor-Cable-Cord-5Pcs-/310420507171?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item4846810a23
(3 pin versions also available)

[Edit] The Ebay link is for reference only and not necessarily a recommendation for the seller. That seller is Hong Kong and the listing is for 5 items, although the price is cheaper than most UK sellers are charging for a 1 off item.[/Edit]

The series resistor will run hot so keep it in the air flow.

The 7V methods requires a modification requiring some soldering (or crimping)
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

[Edit] Only the first few diagrams to show where the lower voltage can be obtained are relevant. The modification shown using a switch etc. is over the top and unnecessary. [/Edit]

Last edited by alan_m on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:40 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
MickKi wrote:

Or the cheapest ever fan at 1,500rpm (must be a typo I guess?) Xilence-Red-Wing-80mm

Slightly cheaper on EBay Smile Smile ............ if you factor in the total cost, including postage and packaging.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xilence-Red-Wing-80mm-Quiet-Fan-/390451683774?pt=UK_Computing_Case_Fans&hash=item5ae8bbe1be

EDIT
One fan in your list suggests that it is speed controlled PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) via the BIOS. While this may be a feature on a modern computer motherboard it doesn't exist in the Toppy.

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
Thank you very much for your advice! I have now bought and installed an Arctic F8 TC fan using this molex connector.

My HDD temperature would normally show 56 - 58C after an hour's use on a warm evening. Last night after two hours of continuous recordings on two channels, while playing an old recording also for two hours, it only went up to 45 - 46C. Shocked Now, that's a significant cooling effect! Very Happy

The fan is barely audible when the case temperature is low, as it rotates at only 500 RPM below 32C. At those speeds it is probably quieter than the HDD. After two hours of recording and playing I could hear it from a distance of 2 metres or so, when I muted the sound. Although the fan connector has a 3rd wire (the molex came only with two wires tapping the 12V supply) I have no means of using it to monitor the fan's speed.

I secured the temperature sensor with a cable tie above the power suppy. Not sure if this is the best place to put it. I thought of using tape to secure it on the HDD case, but then this would reach higher than 32C and the fan would then increase in speed, perhaps unecessarily.

The only thing to sort out now are these crashes when the channel reception loses strength due to the weather and I will be a happy camper!

MikB
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 289 Location: West Midlands
MickKi wrote:
I secured the temperature sensor with a cable tie above the power suppy.

As long as the temperature probe is completely (electrically) insulated, and can't touch any part of the power supply, even accidentally, then you should be fine. Some probes are plasticy, some have a metal jacket which may be connected to one side of the probe's wiring. Can't tell from the link you posted.

If you're anywhere near the big *live* metal heatsink or the "mains" end of the power supply, toward the back, maybe move away from that Smile I know it's tempting to put the temperature sensor where the "obvious" heat source is ... but I think I'd be very wary of doing that.

Taping the sensor to the hard drive is great until the tape fails and the sensor falls off into a random location, I'm glad you didn't do that!

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
MickKi
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
This one is a plasticy type probe. The wires to it are of course insulated. I have tried to keep them away from the large heatsink. I have secured it towards the front of the case on top of the capacitors. There are some smaller heatsinks in that area.

I bought this fan because of the temperature probe speed control. The difference in price from a constant speed fan was not much and stopped me worrying about it being set at the appropriate speed under all operating conditions.

At some point may experiment with positioning the temperature probe at different locations, but for now I am happy with the outcome. All things being equal it will also prolong the life of the capacitors, which I have not replaced yet (their voltages are still good).

If/when I reopen the case I will use more cable ties to tidy up all the wiring away from any heat and electricity sources, just in case. I would think that the wire insulation would be good until the temperature of anything that is in contact with it goes well above 100 C, but better play it safe. Wink

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4492
I suspect it doesn't really matter where the probe is, other than being safe, because the fan is going to speed up when the temperature rises. I would have thought that the position of the probe is likely to only affect the start/stop of "spinning faster" by a few seconds at most.

I note that your fan can suck in or blow out; I think best results are by blowing out through the top (and this will lead to air being sucked in from the sides).

Geoff
PS I don't have a fan.

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18