Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Recording External Sources

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Monode
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I just got a 5800 and to my great disappointment it cannot record from the SCART input. Is there any way this can be enabled in firmware or is it hardware locked?

I'm currently considering the cost of a PC based video capture unit against time spent researching and replacing the 2nd unused Toppy UHF tuner - I don't watch TV hardly at all.

Monode
alan_m
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
Monode wrote:
Hi,

I just got a 5800 and to my great disappointment it cannot record from the SCART input. Is there any way this can be enabled in firmware or is it hardware locked?

The Topfield only records from it's own internal tuners. It only records the broadcast transport stream and therefore any playback is always as good as the original broadcast (including subtitles etc). This is common with most PVRs.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Wait until you find out what it can do and then you'll be even more disappointed Wink

What "external" source did you want to record on SCART?
gomezz
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3996 Location: Buckingham
Monode wrote:
I just got a 5800 and to my great disappointment it cannot record from the SCART input

Just like every other PVR that has ever been sold.

Quote:
I'm currently considering the cost of a PC based video capture unit against time spent researching and replacing the 2nd unused Toppy UHF tuner - I don't watch TV hardly at all.

For someone who watches TV hardly at all you seem to want put an awful lot of time and effort into doing so.

Monode
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
I have about 500 VHS tapes I want to convert to digital video - Do you have any idea how much space they use up?!? {:o|

Video cameras have no line inputs in this country and friends on the continent laugh at us. If they did have inputs then they would be VCRs and have a higher tax rating. Often though you can open the unit up and inside is everything but the socket.

Why don't I watch TV much? Firstly I'm an animator anyway, secondly I grew up in the 70s and 80s when TV had higher production value than 90% of feature films do today, and thirdly, since the 1988 Broadcasting Bill the dumbing down has been beyond belief. Neighbours started right away and now its not just sh*t for brains presenters who cannot string s sentence together but also the totally awful level of camera, sound and editing.

Watch Top Gear - now THATS professional camera work and production. Everything else is wobbly closeups of media luvvies brain dead face unable to describe whats happening but we aren't allowed to see because the simpering 20-something nancyboy producer was told at media college that 'Human interaction is the most emotionally pivotal event'.

So, sorry, I am a professional 3D animator, professional photographer, cameraman, recording musician, luthier, audiophile, computer nerd, writer and I don't have time to watch >CRAP!<

[ahem]

Okay? :o)

Luv,
Monode
juwlz
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
If you can still get one, you MAY find that a box that can record both to VHS and DVD **MAY** allow you to copy from a VHS tape to a DVD on the box ... and from there you may or may not be able to rip the DVD to a PC compatible file. You'll need to research carefully though, to find out for any given box whether either of these functions is possible, and what's involved.

Alternatively, you may find a commercial service that would be able to convert all your VHS tapes to your choice of digital format if you're prepared to hand them over to somebody else.

No PVR is going to give you this ability though.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
chris_s
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 403
Since they recently stopped the nightly dial-up EPG update there must be mountains of Series 1 TiVos out there making their way to landfill. The TiVo has its own single analogue tuner, but was used by most people as a record/playback device for an analogue video/audio source via SCART (e.g. Sat Box or DigiBox or Cable) way before Sky+.

Most have tiny HDDs, but can be upgraded, then you would have to get the data off the HDD and possibly play with the headers, etc. (reasonably sure it is MPEG2). Not easy, but might be worth contacting the TiVo Forum folks.

Chris.

PS. my TiVo is still in use, although all recordings are manual and there is no useful titling to the files; it is great for recording Strictly and it takes Two as the fast forward control is far superior to that of the Toppy.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
DX
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
There is an alternative EPG available for the S1 TiVo and many people have switched to that - see www.altepg.com - so many are still in use. It is possible to extract video from an S1 TiVo but you will probably want one fitted with a network card to do so. Google "tivo mfs_ftp" for info, or see http://www.tivocentral.co.uk/extract.php

Although it is possible to transfer VHS tapes to digital this way I'm not sure it is the way to go. Using a PC video capture device is a lot more straightforward. A search for "vhs to dvd converter" on amazon finds several cheap usb devices that should do the job.
alan_m
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
DX wrote:
A search for "vhs to dvd converter" on amazon finds several cheap usb devices that should do the job.

In general, you will find the cheap ones to be #*@!

They don't appear to have a fast enough sample rate and they are prone noise breakthrough on both the video and audio. They cannot handle any conversion better than half TV resolution - worse than the worst of digital channels that are transmitted with near zero bit rates Sad

They are poor hardware devices and the "free" software that comes with them often leaves a lot to be desired.

Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
This type of device will let you capture high quality video for about the same price as a decent PVR.

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/bmd_intensity_pro

?
Monode
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Hehe - Thanks for not flaming me chaps and chapesses! :o)

I have my father's old LiteOn LVW-5045 HDD & DVD recorder which has sockets on the front and back for video input and it records at different selectable bitrates. All I need do is pop the top and see what format the hard drive is using. Maybe I can take the files off there at ATA speed.

The other option is I turn a disused PC into a Windows98 box and use my old Matrox Mystique with Rainbow Runner addon card. It worked like a dream years ago as long as you uninstall Internet Exploiter.

I'll let you all know if I do any hardware chopping on the Toppy, also known as 'circuit bending'.

Monode :o)
Monode
Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
chris_s wrote:
Since they recently stopped the nightly dial-up EPG update there must be mountains of Series 1 TiVos out there making their way to landfill.

Chris et all; I know a guy who's flatmate wrote the software for the TiVo. It runs Linux internally and the really clever bit on it is the HDD defragging which took the longest time to create as its done on the fly. His one had some other socket on it, maybe USB2 or CAT5 network, but he could pull programs straight off it to the network.

Its Linux so it should support massive storage but might be deliberately limited. I'll see about contacting him although with TiVo still an ongoing concern, I wouldn't hold your breath on a free key to unlock it's abilities!

Monode
underquark
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1793
Monode wrote:
the really clever bit on it is the HDD defragging

Why did they need to work so hard on defragging? A/v files are typically large and read relatively sequentially. Deleted a/v files typically leave large, contiguous areas of blank disc. I'm not knocking it if the defragging was very clever and served a purpose but I'd have thought that it would have no sooner finished defragging on-the-fly when you deleted something and had to do the defragging all over again.

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.
Monode
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Precisely, thats why it does defragging on the fly.

The very nature of a file structure means any drive will get fragmented. Whether you are dealing in 1k files or multi-exabyte slabs, its all the same thing.
gomezz
Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3996 Location: Buckingham
Well I suppose that as a modern disk drive is so underworked when used in a PVR that it may as well burn the extra gas pointlessly moving bits of files around. Confused