Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Linking FreeSat output to Toppy input

Page 1 of 1
p1
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I've not been able to find the answer in the forums or FAQ, so here goes.

I'm moving to a house which currently doesn't have a terrestrial aerial, as the current owners have had a Sky/FreeSat system since the place was built.

Before I fork out for a new aerial, my question is, can I buy a cheapo FreeSat receiver and somehow convert its output to emulate the terrestrial digital signal that my Toppy expects to receive?

I also have a Tecnomate TM5400 handy, will this pick up clear FreeSat, or does the FreeSat specific boxes have some proprietary decryption circuitry inside.

Cheers
alan_m
Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3488
p1 wrote:

I'm moving to a house which currently doesn't have a terrestrial aerial, as the current owners have had a Sky/FreeSat system since the place was built.

Before I fork out for a new aerial, my question is, can I buy a cheapo FreeSat receiver and somehow convert its output to emulate the terrestrial digital signal that my Toppy expects to receive?

I also have a Tecnomate TM5400 handy, will this pick up clear FreeSat, or does the FreeSat specific boxes have some proprietary decryption circuitry inside.

The Toppy will ONLY record from it's own internal (terrestrial TV) tuners.

Your Free-to-Air Satellite box will pick up all the Freesat channels. What you will not get is the 7 day Electronic Programme Guide [EPG]. You will just get now and next. Freesat is just a proprietary EPG around the free channels. In general only Freesat branded boxes will give you the Freesat EPG.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
The Toppy will ONLY record from it's own internal DVB-T (terrestrial digital TV) tuners.

There is no way to convert the output of another receiver, be it composite video or RF, without spending many of thousands of pounds on a DVB-T encoder/modulator, I'm afraid. Sad

Edit. There is such a thing and it is not several thousands of pounds as i thought. Probably neare 1000 by the time you have bought all the bits though.

http://www.taylorbros.co.uk/PDF%20PAGES%20AS%20INDEX/43A43B.pdf

?
jumbo
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Why not buy a (HD) Freesat PVR? Plenty of choice from the el-cheapos to some nice reliable ones such as the Humax to complement Freeview.
p1
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all your replies.

I was aware that the Toppy could only record from its internal tuners, but hoped the FreeSat output could be easily converted to fool it into thinking it was receiving a digital signal from a terrestrial transmitter.

Looks like the cheapest way is to get an aerial installed after all.
underquark
Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Oct 2005 Posts: 1790
If the satellite dish is easily accessible to you and you don't want satellite at all then you can simply install an aerial in its place and use the existing cabling (remembering to change the connector at the TV end).

A 5800 and a 5810 still in use with various dead ones and bits lying around, one Toppy with UPS and dedicated aerial; MyStuff 6.6; QuickJump 1.72; EPG2 MEI; Various remotes - URC1056B01 (my fav.), URC11-7140 R02 (to learn new codes) programmed using tools from the excellent JP1 site.