Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  TAP Toolchain Creator 1.1

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
waistcoat
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:18 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Apr 2005 Posts: 109 Location: Welwyn Garden City [CP Transmitter]
Solaris 10 SPARC binary distribution should be available sometime at the weekend (after a recompile against 1.1). What should I do with the package when it gets built (impertinent answers will be enjoyed & ignored) ?

-Waistcoat
peteru
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 79 Location: Sydney, Australia
Pertinent answer has been shared in private. Wink

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
Just trying toolchain 1.1 - You have changed the packaging and my tar does not understand the 'j' option flag.

Edit:
It also means that if it gors wrong it has to refettch the file as the bzip file gets removed after expansion.
peteru
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand this post. Can you please be more specific? What platform are you using? Are you building from the SVN tree or using a binary distribution. If binary distro, which platform? A copy of any specific errors would really help.

In terms of the -j flag to tar, that would be for bz2 compressed files, such as the binutils source. I suggest you upgrade to a recent version of GNU tar.

I also don't understand your comments about refetch. Can you please clarify?

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
Downloaded from the link supplied here. Platform is OS/2. There is no tar for OS/2 that supports -j. So I used bzip instead and that behaves like gzip in that it clobbers the input file. I assumed tar -j does the same thing. Therefore if you run make again because of an error it downloads the file again.

Have run autoconf in most directories to rebuild configure to be OS/2 friendly and that worked in all directories *except* the gcc one which refuses to do anything and gives no error. BTW what version of autoconf did you use to build it?

Current problem is error building getpwd - some size unknowns - A common problem it seems according to google.

Getting there :=)
shenson
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 568
DB1 wrote:
Downloaded from the link supplied here. Platform is OS/2. There is no tar for OS/2 that supports -j. So I used bzip instead and that behaves like gzip in that it clobbers the input file. I assumed tar -j does the same thing. Therefore if you run make again because of an error it downloads the file again.

tar -j doesn't do the same thing. You can avoid the bzip clobbering in several ways. The -k (keep) option stops it deleting the input file. Piping the result through tar instead for example...

bzcat file.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -

will also do the trick.
peteru
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
DB1 wrote:
Have run autoconf in most directories to rebuild configure to be OS/2 friendly and that worked in all directories *except* the gcc one which refuses to do anything and gives no error. BTW what version of autoconf did you use to build it?

I had success on Gentoo with autoconf-2.59-r7, but OS/2 is not exactly the easiest platform to port to. It seems strange that a recent version of GNU tar is not available for OS/2 - perhaps this is indicative of the degree of difficulty of porting to OS/2.

As state above, piping through bzcat is the trick to getting tar to understand the data stream.

msteveb may have some ideas on getting gcc built, but I suspect that you may have more luck with looking up OS/2 specific info for GCC, then applying that information to the Topfield toolchain creation process.

Good luck with it!

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quote
peteru wrote:

I had success on Gentoo with autoconf-2.59-r7, but OS/2 is not exactly the easiest platform to port to. It seems strange that a recent version of GNU tar is not available for OS/2 - perhaps this is indicative of the degree of difficulty of porting to OS/2.

The problem is OS/2 has "extended attripbutes" for files. This presents no problem importing a *nix tar file but to use tar to move OS/2 files it needs to support the extended attributes. Unfortunately the source of the original port has been lost and no one has been able to get a later tar working. And it is not for want of trying. There are a hell of a lot of *nix apps that compile straight out of the box. Toolchain appears not to be one of them Smile

Quote:
As state above, piping through bzcat is the trick to getting tar to understand the data stream.
I just substituted bzip and without piping to anything and it recreated the file structure fine.
swedish cook
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 19 Sep 2005 Posts: 349
I'm following the instructions at http://tap.berlios.de/project_setup.html to setup my environment (on cygwin) and the svn checkout command is ending with the following error - any ideas ? Setup was going so well up until then !

.....snip....
A trunk/taps/DumpAPI/DumpAPI.sln
A trunk/taps/DumpAPI/Makefile
A trunk/taps/DumpAPI/makefile
svn: In directory 'trunk/taps/DumpAPI'
svn: Can't copy 'trunk/taps/DumpAPI/.svn/tmp/text-base/makefile.svn-base' to 'tr
unk/taps/DumpAPI/makefile.tmp': No such file or directory

Also when I try to subscribe to the devel list I get this error:
Your subscription is not allowed because the email address you gave is insecure.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5639 Location: Cheltenham
Bugger, that's one of mine. I'd love to help but bloody Berlios isn't even available right now. It seems to be down about 50% of the time that I want to do anything with it! I'm starting to have doubts about it - is SourceForge any better?
swedish cook
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Impressive speed of response, thanks in advance.

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5639 Location: Cheltenham
Right, Berlios is back again and I've sorted it. The problem is that there are 2 makefiles, one called Makefile and the other (incorrect one) called makefile. Gotta love that Unix naming convention Rolling Eyes Mind you, the Unix lot say the same about Windows!
swedish cook
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote
Its good thanks.