Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  TAP Toolchain Creator 1.1

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
msteveb
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Jun 2005 Posts: 96 Location: Brisbane, Australia
Topfield TAP Toolchain Creator (v1.1) (27 September 2005)

What is it?
A set of scripts, patches and a Makefile which allows you to create a
native toolchain for TAP development, say for Linux.

How do I use it?
Everything is explained in the README: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~msteveb/topfield/toolchain/README.html

Where can I get it?
From http://members.ozemail.com.au/~msteveb/topfield/toolchain/topfield-toolchain-1.1.tar.gz

And now from Berlios: http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4128

Are binary toolchains provided for any platforms?
Yes! Binary toolchains are now available for Linux/x86, Mac OS X, and Windows cygwin
from the Berlios site.

Enjoy

Steve Bennett
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~msteveb/topfield/

Last edited by msteveb on Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunstealer
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 325
Very cool - nice work

Did you manage to work out what Topfield changed to allow -O2 optimizations to be used?

I guess the greatest demand will be for an OS X compiler as there seem to be quite a number of people using Macs around here.

The only Topfield distributed library left now is libtap.a right? An effort to reverse engineer and rewrite a compatible libtap.a would yield a complete TAP development package that was in compliance with the GPL. I decompiled libtap.a some time back and uploaded the assembly to this site. It isn't all that large but offset addresses are likely to change with each firmware release.
msteveb
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:43 pm Reply with quote
sunstealer wrote:
Very cool - nice work

Did you manage to work out what Topfield changed to allow -O2 optimizations to be used?

Even with -O2, the topfield compiler outputs 'set .nobopt' to disable
branch optimisations. Enabling branch optimisations (filling the
delay slot in a branch) causes the "bad things" to happen, so
I use -fno-delayed-branch to create the same effect.
Quote:

I guess the greatest demand will be for an OS X compiler as there seem to be quite a number of people using Macs around here.

We should have an OS X toolchain uploaded shortly.
Quote:

The only Topfield distributed library left now is libtap.a right? An effort to reverse engineer and rewrite a compatible libtap.a would yield a complete TAP development package that was in compliance with the GPL. I decompiled libtap.a some time back and uploaded the assembly to this site. It isn't all that large but offset addresses are likely to change with each firmware release.

Right, but I'm not concerned about that. The released
version is identical for all development platforms and you need
the associated headers in any case. libtap.a doesn't contain
much more than the branch table.

Cheers,
Steve
sunstealer
Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 325
Indeed libtap.a is no big deal but having a complete TAP development enviroment that is independent of Topfield is the first step towards being truly open source. At present, given that Topfield are apparently in violation of the GPL on the gcc/cygwin/libtap distribution, it is likely that distributing any TAPs compiled with their system is also in violation of the GPL.

Recreating libtap.a as C sourcecode should be possible without too much effort. If it still hasn't been done when I finish writing my PhD, I will do it myself.

Anyway - great job - I am sure a lot of people will be very pleased with your work.
waistcoat
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Apr 2005 Posts: 109 Location: Welwyn Garden City [CP Transmitter]
Finally managed to build the toolchain for solaris 10 - SPARC (as well as debian x86 3.1) - needed to install a few gnu packages to get it to work.

If anyone wants the binaries, give me a PM. I'll try & create a solaris package in the next few weeks anyway...

-Waistcoat
simonc
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5639 Location: Cheltenham
Anyone know if this is portable to Windows under Cygwin? I don't know anything about Linux and don't really have the time to investigate. I know we already have the Topfield GCC but it'd be great to tell people that they didn't need to search fruitlessly for it on Topfield's site and to just download a GPL compliant 3rd party solution.
waistcoat
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:05 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 04 Apr 2005 Posts: 109 Location: Welwyn Garden City [CP Transmitter]
simonc wrote:
Anyone know if this is portable to Windows under Cygwin? I don't know anything about Linux and don't really have the time to investigate. I know we already have the Topfield GCC but it'd be great to tell people that they didn't need to search fruitlessly for it on Topfield's site and to just download a GPL compliant 3rd party solution.

Well it should be, but to be totally GPL compliant, we still need the sources / reverse engineering of libtap.a, which should be doable by the people that know how. I'd have a go myself, but I'll be looking at the SPARC port and a sample tap myself for a while....

-Waistcoat
peteru
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 79 Location: Sydney, Australia
I'm currently adding the toolchain creator to the BerliOS TAP project.

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/tap

The plan is to add binary releases for various platforms. Expect the following in the next few days:

* Linux x86
* Mac OSX (Darwin)
* Windows / Cygwin x86

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Binaries for 1.1 are now available for download from the BerliOS site.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote
peteru wrote:
Binaries for 1.1 are now available for download from the BerliOS site.

Anyone got any ideas what's changed between 1.0a & 1.1?

I can't see any release / changelogs anywhere...

-Waistcoat
msteveb
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote
waistcoat wrote:

A couple of small patches to build on OS X, Windows cygwin and Free BSD. Take a look at the bottom of the README.

Cheers,
Steve

waistcoat
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:31 pm Reply with quote
msteveb wrote:
waistcoat wrote:

A couple of small patches to build on OS X, Windows cygwin and Free BSD. Take a look at the bottom of the README.

Cheers,
Steve

I had seen that, but wasn't sure if these were the only changes. Thanks for the prompt response (guess I don't need to recompile my Solaris 10 SPARC port then just yet Smile.)

-Waistcoat
rexy
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 106
Hi

I've grabbed the latest OS X package from Berlios, but am getting these warnings & errors when compiling taptest:
Code:

ibook:/usr/local/topfield-gcc/taptest rexy$ make
/usr/local/topfield-gcc/bin/mips-gcc -mlong-calls -msoft-float -mqnxpic -fno-delayed-branch -O2 -I/usr/local/topfield-gcc/topfield-sdk/include  -DOS=\"\" -Wall -I.   -c -o menulibc.o menulibc.c
<command line>:2: warning: "__GNUC__" redefined
<built-in>:2: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
<command line>:3: warning: "__GNUC_MINOR__" redefined
<built-in>:3: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
<command line>:24: warning: "__SIZE_TYPE__" redefined
<built-in>:6: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.0: -lang-c: linker input file unused because linking not done
mips-gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory
make: *** [menulibc.o] Error 1

(This might be because I had downloaded the source, as per the original post, but was getting build errors when compiling binutils.)

It looks like I need to explicitly switch to topfield gcc 2.95.2 somehow; I think I'm set to use 4.0.0.

Any ideas?

(BTW this is excellent stuff - well done all)
peteru
Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:58 am Reply with quote
The Mac/OSX PPC binaries have been temporarily withdrawn. They have been built against /tmp/usr/local/topfield-gcc instead of /usr/local/topfield-gcc and thus don't work as advertised.

We hope to have a new set of Mac/OSX PPC binaries ready in the next day or so.

If you are really desperate to make use of the compiler right now, you have two options:

A) Unpack the binary distribution into /tmp/usr/local/topfield-gcc instead of /usr/local/topfield-gcc and create a symlink from /usr/local/topfield-gcc to /tmp/usr/local/topfield-gcc. Then, once the fixed binary distribution is available, delete /tmp/usr/local/topfield-gcc and the /usr/local/topfield-gcc symlink and use the fixed binary as instructed.

B) Build the toolchain from source.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:49 am Reply with quote
And now the fixed mac OS X toolchain is up at Berlios.

Cheers,
Steve