Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  HDD Failure - how to confirm.

Page 1 of 1
Blunham Palace
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
Hello, I think I know where this may be going as I've read around the forums a bit but wanted to check before I take the wrong action.

Returned from holiday to find my 5800 locked up. On reboot it went into a screen asking me to agree to a HDD format. It now does this every time I power off and on.

Obviously no TAPs working and when I connect PC to Toppy using Altair it cannot see the device at all.

I've now removed the HHD from the Toppy and plugged it into my desktop. The disk management tool sees the HDD but lists it as Unallocated. I can't see the drive from explorer.
I also tried running TopfHDRW on the desktop but it doesn't find the drive that way either.
If I use TopfHDDR to select the drive then I get the message 'The selected disk seems to be a PC Hard Disk. Performing a check on a PC Drive will destroy all partitions. Did you choose the correct drive?'
I was hoping to salvage thedata from the drive so haven't proceeded any further.

So..checking my logic.
It seems apparent that for whatever reason the HDD has been corrupted/wiped, however given that I can still see the drive the physical device may not have failed completely. My data is lost.

Step 1 - I will need to reformat.

The reason for the failure could be due to caps. Before I replace these are there some voltage checks I can make in the system to identify if this is the issue.
Is there anything else that could result in the same thing ?

Step 2 - depending on outcome of checks replace caps (andyfras).

Thanks for any inputs,

Chris
andyfras
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
Blunham Palace wrote:
The reason for the failure could be due to caps. Before I replace these are there some voltage checks I can make in the system to identify if this is the issue.

There is a lot of information in the wiki

You can check the voltages on the PSU connector, which is labelled with the voltages (approximate). The key voltage is 5V, if it goes low, the others go high - this is a definite indication of capacitor failure.

Quote:
Is there anything else that could result in the same thing ?

If your Toppy is few years old (I'm guessing about 4.5 years), it's worth replacing the capacitors as a first step.

Quote:
Step 2 - depending on outcome of checks replace caps (andyfras).

Here I am. Very Happy

As TopfHDRW is not seeing the HDD when attached to your PC (check that it is set to Master, some USB adapters don't recognise it otherwise), your only option is format. If that works OK, load the HDDInfo TAP and check for any disk hardware problems, such as reallocated sectors.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
jumbo
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
The chances are that your hard drive is OK although it may have some bad sectors which could be sorted using TopfHDRW. You should, as suggested by Andy, suspect your PSU. Check that before proceeding with anything else. Andy provides a DIY kit for faulty PSUs. He can also do the work for a fee if you send him the PSU or the Toppy itself.

What size/make/type is your hard drive? You can always use the drive manufacturers utilities to check the drive. Persevere with TopfHDRW. It does work but may well be a bit sensitive to your OS and/or the way you've connected the drive to your desktop.
juwlz
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
jumbo wrote:
Persevere with TopfHDRW. It does work but may well be a bit sensitive to your OS and/or the way you've connected the drive to your desktop.
I needed to use it recently, and couldn't get it to work on my 32-bit Win 7 PC, but it was fine on my old 16-bit WinXP netbook. If you have a choice of PCs to try, give it a go on a different one.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Monode
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Hi, first post here as I just discovered the Topfield.

Firstly DON'T USE Windows!!! It does all sorts of nasty things to bare drives, writes signatures, marks sectors as bad, keeps trying damaged data until the drive's firmware locks up or just dies and can't see pretty much anything other than FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS so if the Toppy uses any of the innumerate file systems (like journal format) out there then windows will actually damage the file structure.

The best thing is to download something like Hirens Boot CD which is Linux, Free and contains about 400 utils. Burn the ISO to CD, boot off it and it will find your USB / IDE / SATA drive and mount it. You should be able to recover damaged boot straps, MBRs, partitions even striped data - I've done this before with RAID containers, it saved my life!

If you insist on using Windows then try the free tool Recuva to get your files back.

Hope this helps.

Monode
juwlz
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Monode wrote:
Firstly DON'T USE Windows!!! It does all sorts of nasty things to bare drives, writes signatures, marks sectors as bad, keeps trying damaged data until the drive's firmware locks up or just dies and can't see pretty much anything other than FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS so if the Toppy uses any of the innumerate file systems (like journal format) out there then windows will actually damage the file structure.
Windows on its own won't even be able see a Toppy hard drive, which has a proprietary format (and NOT "any of the innumerate files systems" you mention).

That's why TopfHDRW was written (and AFAIK, there is no equivalent for any OS other than Windows), which does understand and can repair Toppy File Systems.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
alan_m
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
Monode wrote:
Hi, first post here as I just discovered the Topfield.

Firstly DON'T USE Windows.

Nothing wrong with windows as long as you use the support software that reads/writes using the proprietry format that Topfield use on their disks.