Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Think I've bought a duff!

Page 1 of 1
MartinS
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2007 Posts: 69 Location: Surrey, UK
My brother-in-law has been after a decent HDD recorder for a while after suffering the noise and bad recording problems with a Thomson box, and so a week or so ago, I spotted a Topfield 5800 on eBay, emailed the guy who (surprise surprise) said it ws all OK, so I got my sister to buy it.
The plan was, when it arrived, plug it into their laptop, download and install MyStuff and the latest firmware and do a factory reset...if only it was that easy!
Have plugged all the aerial cables in, and the scart from the TV, then turned it on and it sticks on No Signal at Tuner 1. Am unable to access any of the menu functions, and unable to install the drivers for it on the laptop - I tried with z4t and it either can't see it, or times out when it does.
Before i waste my evening, should I just send it back and get a refund?
Any help/advice gratefully received.
Martin

MartinS
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I've given up and asked the seller for a full refund.
When it turns off, a series of small lights flicker along the bottom of the screen before shutting down. It kept telling me that it was unable to connect to usb because it could not recognise the usb device, even though I managed to successfully install the drivers using q4t.
The no signal message disappeared after leaving it off for 5 minutes, but it just showed the program bar but would not respond to any remote or unit buttons.
I've plugged their old Thomson box back in and a waiting to see what the seller says (he stated no returns on the item, but am hoping, as it was not working on arrival, he will do the right thing and refund.
Martin

HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
The 4 flashing lights on the front panel is usually a good sign that the Toppy should be removed from the mains for a minute or so and then plugged back in.

[color=blue:da1fd20a33]MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml[/color:da1fd20a33]
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13[/size:da1fd20a33]
MartinS
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote
Yes, but it happened each time I switched it into standby, so not a good sign! :S

juwlz
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
In your place, my plan with any 2nd hand Toppy (having been learned the hard way myself) would have been to send it off to andyfras or MikeyP before doing anything else. A channel scan appears to be one of the things that puts quite a lot of stress on the capacitors in the PSU, which can be the last straw for a borderline one.

The good news (for you or the seller, whichever one of you does it) is that andyfras or MikeyP can repair it very reasonably.

When it happened to me (with a Toppy I bought and set up for my parents, so I knew it was working, but then failed when I scanned for channels at their house), I cobbled together one working Toppy for them from one which had working tuners, combined with the working hard drive from another. The non-working one sat around doing nothing for a couple of years. Last month I took it to andyfras (he lives close enough to me to deliver it by hand) who fitted a 1.5TB drive in my main Toppy, gave its PSU the usual treatment (preventatively), fixed the PSU on the old second hand one, and fitted the old drive out of my main Toppy. Voila! Everything is working perfectly.

If the Toppy was genuinely working for the seller, it shouldn't have had enough time with you to have damaged anything else, and should be repairable for the price of a half decent evening meal.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
MartinS
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:07 am Reply with quote
Thanks Julie. Mike has recently replaced the capacitors in my own unit and was very impressed with the service. Will see what the seller says, and it cost 70 delivered so wonder if it's worth spending the 25 to get it sorted?
Martin

juwlz
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Personally, I would have factored the 25 into the cost in the first place, and have got it delivered directly there - but that's not a lot of help now. I'd say it's probably worth fixing, but only you / your sister and her husband can really decide.

Maybe if you point the seller to this thread he'll do the decent thing and cover at least part of the repair cost. After all, if he takes it back (it's not working, so not as described) he'd either have to repair it himself or sell it more cheaply as a non-working machine.

Julie

MartinS
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:36 am Reply with quote
Thanks again Julie.
One last question then - would the fact that it wasn't recognised by any USB port be due to the capacitors or is that another issue all together?
Martin

juwlz
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:00 pm Reply with quote
MartinS wrote:
Thanks again Julie.
One last question then - would the fact that it wasn't recognised by any USB port be due to the capacitors or is that another issue all together?
Martin
Almost anything hardware-related (and some things that don't necessarily appear to be) can be due to PSU failure.

On the other hand, if they didn't install the Topfield Tools for Windows BEFORE connecting the USB cable to the Toppy, Windoze will have installed some entirely useless drivers which will have to be uninstalled before they can get connected.

Julie

MartinS
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
Almost anything hardware-related (and some things that don't necessarily appear to be) can be due to PSU failure.

OK thanks, that's useful to know.
juwlz wrote:
On the other hand, if they didn't install the Topfield Tools for Windows BEFORE connecting the USB cable to the Toppy, Windoze will have installed some entirely useless drivers which will have to be uninstalled before they can get connected.

That's the thing I did (both my sister and husband are technophiles!), but I used the laptop I use for mine and it took me a while to realise that it wasn't working because it was getting in a tizz as I'd already connected a toppy to it before. I tried with another laptop (running XP SP3), and while q4t installed the driver first time, it still did not recognise it.

I'm just wary of spending 25 and finding that it is still U/S!

Thanks again
Martin