Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  5800 upgrading: "Device driver software was not...

Page 1 of 1
ISo
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:12 pm Reply with quote
...successfully installed.
Please consult with your device manufacturer for assistance getting this device installed"

I am following your Firmware download page.
Downloaded and installed the software to my PC (Windows 7 64).
Quote:
When it has finished, (or at any rate, before running the Toppy.org.uk firmware loader), you should connect the PC to the PVR using a USB cable.

Windows should detect the PVR when it is turned on, and you should allow it to install the drivers automatically.

And here I am having the above problem after connecting it to the PC and switching on. Sad

Any suggestions?

The long story is that I was directed here from AVfourums and advised to upgrade the firmware after posting the following there:
Quote:
Topfield TF5800 problem (digital switchover?)
It's pretty old. I have it since 2006, no upgrades.

The program numbers gone crazy after switchover and rescanning. For example, bbc channels are now 1000-1005, 1040-1042. The majority of others are 1000+ too. This makes it very inconvenient to access channels directly rather than by scrolling.

I don't know if it is a result of the switchover or just a coincidence.

And yet another question BTW.
As far as I remember the disk used to stop if not in use. Now I hear that it keeps running permanently unless I switch the PVR off to standby.

If it makes any difference, it's UK unit according to your classification.
And surprisingly, when it is connected to the PC the HD stoppes running after a few minutes of inactivity.
andyfras
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3466
The problem is the 64 bit versionof Windows.

See: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17310

You will also need to delete the incorrect driver that Windows has installed.

Incidentally, a 5 year old Toppy is on borrowed time concerning its PSU capacitors.

See: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/PSU_Repair

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
ISo
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Thanks.
I'll try Vista 32 then.
andyfras
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
You'll still need different drivers for Vista. Toopy Tools only works with WinXP 32 bit, AFAIK.

See: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=8

Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4472
You don't need to try Vista - just use this kit (it will install on XP, Vista or Windows 7)

Having installed the driver, try TopManager (link in my signature) to see if you can connect to the toppy (use a USB connection).

Once you have established connection to the toppy, you can consider upgrading the firmware and/or load taps. I suggest you use the MyStuff installer as it will do everything for you (there are videos about MyStuff on YouTube). Even if you don't want to use MyStguff, it is probably easiest to install it and then remove it from the \ProgramFiles\Auto Start folder.

If you have any queries then please ask - I've found everyone to be very helpful on this site.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
ISo
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
First, thank you for the replies.

However, I was busy with Vista and have not seen them.
I seem to have upgraded the firmware (have I?). I see now 5.13.65T and "Last update Oct 10 2009" in the Info.
I am not sure because during the process the PVR was not connected to a TV and I have not seen anything like this on the front panel:
Quote:
...so users of those models can simply wait until the second restart - you will see the from panel display show either C.456 or C.458, followed by a channel number, once after the firmware is transferred to the PVR, and again after it has been installed in the PVR?s memory

The PVR did restart during the process, but the panel kept showing "p024" whatever it means.

The problem is that after rescanning channels yet again I still get most of channel numbers 1000+ - the same as I described in the first post.

Two questions:
1. Do I have to try updating the firmware again?
2. If not, can I do anything with these big 1000+ numbers?

For the time being I am not keen on installing an alternative software ("MyStuff"?), but probably I'll have to do this at some point if I cannot solve the above problem.
juwlz
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:24 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
andyfras wrote:
Incidentally, a 5 year old Toppy is on borrowed time concerning its PSU capacitors.
And what Andy very gallantly neglected to mention is that he can provide a very reasonably-priced preventative repair (replacement of all the likely-to-be-affected capacitors in the Power Supply Unit). Rescans are believed to put a lot of strain on the PSU, making it more likely to fail (I've certainly had one fail in the past during a scan). Since rescans are inevitable during the DSO, and with a Toppy the age of yours, I'd say that would be a few quid well spent ... unless you're handy with a soldering iron and multimeter and can DIY.

PM him for prices and details, and your Toppy will last you a good many more years.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
juwlz
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
ISo wrote:
Two questions:
1. Do I have to try updating the firmware again?
2. If not, can I do anything with these big 1000+ numbers?
No. But you do have to do a Factory Reset and then another scan. That should get rid of them unless you have any duplicate channels. You HAVE updated your firmware (5.13.65T is the current Recommended Firmware).

p024 just means your Toppy is tuned to channel 24.

Julie

alan_m
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
ISo wrote:
I'll have to do this at some point if I cannot solve the above problem.

If you have the same problem then installing MyStuff will not solve it.

If you have changed between a freeview+ and a non-freeview+ you will have to do a factory reset (factory settings) from the Toppy menu because the firmwares use memory in a different way. Furthermore a rescan on its own doesn't get rid of any rubbish scans you may have had before. The rescan only adds channels and therefore a factory reset is also required before rescanning for channels. Firmware that fixes (most of the) 1000s problem only does so after a factory reset and a rescan for channels.

P024 was probably Program (channel number) 24 = ITV4

If you can install and run the MyInfo TAP it will produce a text log on the Toppy's hard disk with a LOT of information that can help diagnose many of the problems you are seeing.
MyInfo can be found at
http://www.tapworld.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=608

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:42 pm Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
If you have changed between a freeview+ and a non-freeview+ you will have to do a factory reset (factory settings) from the Toppy menu because the firmwares use memory in a different way.
He hasn't. He's gone from ancient firmware to 5.13.65T.

Julie

ISo
Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Thanks again.

Factory reset did help and I enjoy seeing the numbers that I get used to.

I am good in DIY and I will think about buying a kit and replacing the capacitors when I have some time and about installing some TAPs.
MartinS
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2007 Posts: 69 Location: Surrey, UK
andyfras wrote:
You will also need to delete the incorrect driver that Windows has installed.

Andy
I've seen this stated several times in my search for resolving a duff second hand purchase - am probably being dumb, but how do you do that? I may be sending some business your way soon, if i was to drive over to Fleet (by arrangement, obviously) and drop it off by hand, how log would PSU repair take?
Thanks
Martin

juwlz
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I believe Andy's away for a week or two. Send him a PM (click on the icon at the bottom of any of his posts), and he'll no doubt get back to you on his return.

andyfras
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
PM sent to MartinS

Just to confirm - I am back on the 30th June.