Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Problems loading library, MyStuff pretty much everything!

Page 1 of 1
rrrr
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Hi there,

I've had a 5800t for a couple fo years, been running MyStuff on it and not really have any problems until this week. Upon coming back from holiday MyStuff doesnt seem to want to load and if I try to open the library it is telling me there is only 1MB remaining free.

So I'm guessing maybe the hard drive had filled up while I was away? Seems unlikely in a way as it was only a week and I had arond 50% free.

I've tried hooking the unit up to my laptop (running Windows 7 32 bit) but Altair doesn't seem to recognise it and using Antares it seems to connect and tell me there is 1MB remaining too but I can't see any files.

Can anyone help me to work out what is going on, and in simple terms if possible as I don't know much about the Toppy.

Thanks
andyfras
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3470
Those sound like typical symptoms of failing PSU capacitors.

See: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16463

Maybe it's older than a couple of years?

Have you tried switching it off at the mains for a few moments?

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
alan_m
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3524
andyfras wrote:

Or reception problems
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=240566#240566

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:

See: http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16463

Maybe it's older than a couple of years?

Have you tried switching it off at the mains for a few moments?
I've already tried turning it off for a while, no change. Jusut checked and it was bought Christmas 2008, so around two and a half years old.
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4532
Does it boot up without TAPs? (hold 0 down when booting until the picture shows).

Geoff
PS: I suspect not.

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
rrrr
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
It does boot up as it is at the moment, sorry if I haven't explained myself well.

It loads and works fine as if MyStuff wasn't there at all, so I get the default menus and skin. I can watch programs, the guide opens however when I open the library there is nothing in there and it says there is only 1MB left.

I don't get the normal loading animation in the top left from MyStuff at all.
juwlz
Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
All of that basically points to the Toppy not being able to see the Disk at all. You'll need to get it repaired.

Contact andyfras or MikeyP (in Fleet, Hampshire or Bolton, respectively) for prices. They're both forum members, so you can PM them.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
rcssmb
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
Our family love our aged Toppy and wish we could get a HD version. We had the same problem with it loading up and showing 1mb available and not listing any recorded programs. Went out and bought a IDE (or is it PATA?) caddy and put this disk in that. Ran topfHDDoctor and it spotted and fixed the errors on the disk - we are back up and running again, phew.

Confess to looking at the HUMAX HDR-FOXT2-1TB as a replacement but with the functionality in mystuff I dont think it will compete Sad

So thanks to all the contributors of mystuff, this forum and topfHDDoctor. Very Happy

juwlz
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10804 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
rcssmb wrote:
Our family love our aged Toppy and wish we could get a HD version. We had the same problem with it loading up and showing 1mb available and not listing any recorded programs. Went out and bought a IDE (or is it PATA?) caddy and put this disk in that. Ran topfHDDoctor and it spotted and fixed the errors on the disk
Assuming you haven't already done so, now's the time to get the PSU repaired. That's probably why you had problems with the disk in the first place, but anyway it's worth doing as a preventative measure on an old Toppy, before you get more real problems. Once you start to see issues, things can escalate pretty quickly.

andyfras in Fleet, Hampshire and MikeyP in Bolton both offer a very reasonably priced repair service with quick turnaround. Send one or both of them a PM for more details. You may get away with leaving it until after Christmas, but don't leave it much longer than that.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012