Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Freesat PVR or Sky+

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
gomezz
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:27 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
tichtich wrote:
the remote sensor is very directional, so I often fail to get a response to button presses because I wasn't pointing the remote in quite the right direction).

Have you removed both protective films? There is one on the outside of the front flap and one on the inside of the flap. I actually put a piece of clear blue plastic behind the flap as a filter to stop the red standby status light searing my eyeballs and have no problems with remote control directionality. I do have problems with the buttons on the remote not being very positive so check that the device light on the remote fires when you press a button.

Otherwise, as you say, the UI is like stepping back into the stone age. Sad

tichtich
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
gomezz wrote:
There is one on the outside of the front flap and one on the inside of the flap.

I removed two. IIRC the inside one was on the front of the inside display panel, not the back of the flap.

This seems to be a commonly noted problem, even among people who've removed both films. I'm using a programmable remote instead of the Humax-supplied one, which seems to help. I also leave the flap down (i.e. out of the way), which definitely helps the Humax accept signals from more oblique angles. I think the hole left in the flap for the IR beam to shine through is too small. These measures help, and the situation isn't too bad. But I've got used to the Toppy, which lets me point the remote almost anywhere, and I'm having to retrain myself to point it somewhere near the PVR.

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
gomezz
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
tichtich wrote:
I think the hole left in the flap for the IR beam to shine through is too small

I suppose the variation in position of the sensor relative to the hole due to manufacturing tolerances could account for people's different experiences on this. I can bounce my Foxsat remote off the ceiling or the wall (but not through my feet on their comfy footstool).