Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  Freesat PVR or Sky+

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
juwlz
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I love the fact that the Toppy forum's a great way to get help on the Humax Smile.
Thanks alpine*.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
gomezz
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
You can rename the series folder to something more sensible but there is no real point until the series ends as it will just recreate another folder with the original name when it records the next episode. Rolling Eyes

juwlz
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
gomezz wrote:
You can rename the series folder to something more sensible but there is no real point until the series ends as it will just recreate another folder with the original name when it records the next episode. Rolling Eyes
Well, presumably not if it's already getting it wrong? I assume the folder is probably associated with the CRID? And the current episodes certainly aren't called QI Christmas Special!

Will have a play when I can summon up the enthusiasm Shocked

Julie

tichtich
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1389 Location: Eastbourne, UK
I'm glad to hear the Foxsat has both automove and manual move, though not as flexible and easy as I'm used to with my Toppy. I'll have to get used to the idea of adapting my usage to the PVR, instead of the other way around!

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
tichtich
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
We've now set it to always add the maximum padding (which isn't much) to the end of programmes, and have lost fewer endings that way ... but of course, that relies on nothing actually overrunning by much.

I noticed the manual says...

Quote:
1,2,3,5 Mins - The minutes you select to the start and/or end times will be included where possible to the recordings.

I was hoping those were just examples, and not the only possible settings!

On the other hand, I like the sound of "where possible". Does that mean that the Foxsat won't stop you from, say, reserving two programmes that end at 10.00 and one that starts at 10.00, even though you've set auto-padding? You just won't get padding on all of them? (My current system is more fiddly. When there's a case of this sort I have to manually remove some padding to prevent a conflict. But at least that means I have the choice of which out of the two will keep its padding.)

Firmware: 5.13.65 (patched). Auto Start TAPs: TapCommander 1.0.2, Power Down 0.6, DescriptionExtender 2.2, mei2archive 3.8I3, Automove 1.8, QuickJump 1.54, Improbox 2.1RC8, Jag's EPG 3.0b3 (TV & radio), Media Manager 1.5, MHEG Control A2g, Extend 1.7. PC apps: DGtoTop 1.1. Profile last updated 13/05/2009
juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
alpine* wrote:
juwlz wrote:
You don't get any option (that we've found) to either change the name of the folder or to move recordings into/out of a folder once you've got them.
You can do all of these in 'file manager'... press MEDIA then OPT+
blue or yellow renames and green moves in/out of folders. Remember the folder you want to move to has to be opened before you can move a file to it.
I stand corrected. A pretty horrible UI (moves your cursor away from its previous position), but it's possible.

Julie

juwlz
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
tichtich wrote:
On the other hand, I like the sound of "where possible". Does that mean that the Foxsat won't stop you from, say, reserving two programmes that end at 10.00 and one that starts at 10.00, even though you've set auto-padding? You just won't get padding on all of them?
Will have a play and find out.

Julie

DX
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:42 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
tichtich wrote:
I do have another question, if you don't mind, about how these boxes (Foxsat and Sky+) handle Series Links? When I SL a series that has multiple broadcasts of each episode during the week, does it automatically record the first broadcast of each episode? Or does it attempt to record the broadcast I had highlighted when I selected SL (and the equivalent one each week)? Is the broadcast that it currently plans to record listed in the timer list/planner? If I then set two other timers that conflict with that broadcast, will it automatically switch to another broadcast? Will it switch to another channel (e.g. a +1, or C4 to E4) if necessary?

Both boxes stick with the same channel and time. Both boxes show a single Series Link entry in the timers list/planner. The Foxsat however does shows all the upcoming recordings in the Guide.

I don't really record enough on either machine to encounter many clashes, but my impression is the Foxsat handles them better.

I'm not entirely sure what happens on the Sky+ box - it used to just mysteriously just not record things and also lose the Series Link. With the new version of the Guide (which may be Sky+ HD only) it is better, at least in the respect you don't lose the Series Link. I'm afraid I don't know if it attempts to record alternative instances on other channels (I'm attempting to find out).

With the Foxsat it is much more difficult to get clashes since upcoming recordings are in the guide. This usually to alert you to the clashes when you try and set a recording, and will prompt with alternative instances if available. Obviously you could still get clashes in the future if schedules change but I don't know what happens in that case (I've never had it happen).

Example scenario:

On Monday I set a Series Link for Hollyoaks at 6:30 on C4. I then attempt to set one-off recordings on Tuesday at 6:30 for BBC 1 Regional News and ITV 1 National News.

The FoxSat alerted me to the clash when I attempted to add the ITV News, offering an alternative Hollyoaks on C4+1.

The Sky+HD let me set all the recordings, and subsequently recorded Mondays Hollyoaks. It now has an upcoming 3 way clash in the planner for Tuesday. I'll let you know what happens.
tichtich
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
Thanks for going to so much trouble for me, DX.

DX wrote:
The FoxSat alerted me to the clash when I attempted to add the ITV News, offering an alternative Hollyoaks on C4+1.

That's good. It seems like the most intelligent way to do it. (But it will probably still be wise to check after each weekly timer-setting session that all my favourite drama series have been scheduled for the next week.)

BTW, what happens when a season is finished, or there's a hiatus? Does the PVR remember the SL, so it can record the next season automatically?

Also, I noticed this worrying statement in the Foxsat manual:

Quote:
Any schedules setup for recording will be removed if the Freesat Tune is carried out.

Does that mean I'll lose all my SLs after a retune?

tichtich
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:07 am Reply with quote
BTW I've just read that you can't delete anything while the Foxsat is recording. That sounds like an annoying limitation, since I normally want to delete a programme as soon as I've finished watching it, and as a heavy user I have recordings going on much of the time.

I suppose it's not too bad as long as watched recordings are clearly marked as such. But I can see myself having a build-up of watched recordings, and then having to occasionally go through and delete them all, rather than deleting them as I go.

I've also read that files take a long time to delete! Maybe the best option would be to move watched files to a "watched" folder as I go along, and then occasionally delete the whole folder at once. But it sounds like moving files to a folder takes a lot of key strokes (go into File Manager, etc).

It seems like most PVR users still watch most of their TV live (or chase played), and only record a modest number of programmes, so PVR makers aren't designing their software with heavy users in mind.

alpine*
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Apr 2007 Posts: 84 Location: Rayleigh Crystal Palace Tx
tichtich wrote:
BTW I've just read that you can't delete anything while the Foxsat is recording.

That was on a previous F/W

tichtich wrote:
Does that mean I'll lose all my SLs after a retune?

I 'think' that is fixed as well

tichtich
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:16 pm Reply with quote
alpine* wrote:
That was on a previous F/W

Thanks. Glad to hear that.

DX
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
DX wrote:
On Monday I set a Series Link for Hollyoaks at 6:30 on C4. I then attempt to set one-off recordings on Tuesday at 6:30 for BBC 1 Regional News and ITV 1 National News.

The Sky+HD let me set all the recordings, and subsequently recorded Mondays Hollyoaks. It now has an upcoming 3 way clash in the planner for Tuesday. I'll let you know what happens.

The Sky+ HD box didn't record the Tuesday Hollyoaks due to the clash, and it didn't record the alternative instance on C4+1 an hour later. In the planner the Series Link now indicates the next recording will be Wednsday 6:30.

On the plus side the planner does have an entry for Tuesdays Hollyoaks that says CLASH, so at least you know why the recording isn't there (that's a big improvement on earlier versions of the Sky+ Guide).
Wildoat
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 18 Apr 2005 Posts: 532 Location: Diss / Tacolneston Transmitter
I have recently got a Sky HD+ box (for the HD content) and must say compared to a Toppy with MyStuff the EPG is appalling, series linking and handling clashes is very poor. As far as I can tell there is no (or very limited) clash resolution - it allows you to set clashing timers and then just does not record them or attempt to record the missed episode at a different time - you have to remember to manually set your series link for a repeat that doesn't clash with another series that you might have. Worse than that say you have a back to back of 'V' it only shows the first instance in the planner not the one that will start an hour later and then surprise surprise when it tries to record it clashes with other things!

I have now gone back to using my Toppy for all SD programmes and only use the Sky box for HD so that there is less chance of clashing timers although this still doesn't avoid the above issues it just limits them.

Sky HD+ is like going back in time and having to use an outside loo!

PS: This is not to mention that even if you switch off the Anytime feature you still don't get access to the disk space allocated to it and that the Ethernet connection can only be used if you have Sky broadband!!

W. Laughing

Networked via Homeplug: Asus WL-500GX + Olegs firmware 1.9.2.7-7g + ftpd-topfield 0.7.4.
tichtich
Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Hi. I thought those of you who were so helpful in giving me advice might like to know how I'm getting on. I chose the Foxsat (over Sky+) in the end. The biggest factor was that I record a lot of radio, and Sky doesn't have a radio EPG.

I've had the Foxsat for a week and half now, and I'm fairly happy with it. The UI is a bit of a beast (and not helped by the fact that the remote sensor is very directional, so I often fail to get a response to button presses because I wasn't pointing the remote in quite the right direction). It's getting easier to use as I get used to it, but for me it'll never be nearly as easy as using a well-tapped Toppy. I'll certainly go back to my Toppy when Freeview comes to Eastbourne. (And I'm still using up existing recordings from my Toppy.)

Advantages of Foxsat over Toppy:
- Some HD channels. Actually, I'm having difficulty seeing any difference from SD with my setup, and I may give up using HD altogether!
- Other extra channels. (But I'd rather have Five USA and Fiver.)
- Better MP3 player, with pause and navigation within files. (Makes listening to podcasts more of an option.)
- Better photo viewer (at least compared with Media Manager's viewer). I gave up viewing photos on my Toppy because they were too jaggy.
- Transfer of files using a memory stick, instead of a cable. (Can be more convenient, but has drawbacks too.)
- Bigger hard disk (my Toppy's still only 160GB), though it may be a long time before I use the extra space.
- Avoids a couple of irritating bugs my Toppy was still suffering from.

Anyway, thanks for your help. And I look forward to rejoining the Toppy community in a year's time. Wink