Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  AV & other discussions  ~  Icecrypt T2400 Freeview HD PVR

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
Here's another Freeview HD box I've been playing with

Reviewed at RegHardware: http://www.reghardware.com/2011/01/29/review_icecrypt_t2400/

And more at Gone Digital:
http://gonedigital.net/2011/01/29/icecrypt-t2400-freeview-hd-pvr-review/

One of the earlier firmwares had media functionality that allowed you to browse the whole Linux filesystem, which was a novel bug, and it did strike me that might allow for tweaking fairly easily, but sadly you can't do that any more.

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2006 Posts: 402 Location: Hull
How does the Icecrypt compare with the Toppy Nigel? I was thinking about one when the Toppy finally dies.
Steve

gomezz
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3982 Location: Buckingham
The lack of Dolby Digital audio trans-coding is a deal-breaker for me.

nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:24 pm Reply with quote
The lack of transcoding is very annoying - especially since the T2400 is a few months later than originally anticipated, and all new products have to have it from this April.

But, do remember that at the moment, actual programmes with surround aren't that common. There will obviously be more in future, but even with a box that transcodes, you'll most likely spend a lot more time listening to stereo than to 5.1 sound.

That said, if I were spending my own cash, I'd be going for something with transcoding, and very likely waiting for YouView.

If you don't buy into HD at the moment, you aren't actually missing out on any content, remember - three of the four channels are simulcast, and the other is a 'best of.'

So, I'd say that unless your Toppy has actually died, or you're desperate for an HD picture, wait and see what comes out over the next few months.

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3982 Location: Buckingham
Since Christmas it seem thats about half the programmes I watch now have Dolby Digital 5.1 compared to about 10% before Christmas.

simonatkins
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Jun 2005 Posts: 45 Location: Manchester, UK
Nigel, please excuse my ignorance, but is transcoding something that can be added in a future firmware? Or is this a hardware feature? i.e. Maybe we wait until the T2600 is released...?
DX
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2694
Some manufacturers (e.g. my Humax) have issued firmware updates after launch to add transcoding. Others (e.g. my Panasonic TV) have not. I think it depends on the particular chipset used. Some chipsets have the capability to do transcoding, it is a case of enabling it. Others just cannot do it.

I don't know if the chipset the T2400 uses can do transcoding or not, but as Nigel says it is compulsory from April so if not the product will have a very short life.
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Yep, it's chipset dependent. And the exact Dolby functionality you get is dependent upon what you pay licences for, so some companies just haven't paid for the ability to create Dolby Digital - they mostly assumed, it seems, that broadcasts would use DD anyway, and all they'd have to do is the very simple conversion from DD+ to DD, rather than a full transcode.

The new certification means that products tested after April have to have transcoding, but as far as I can tell (and the DTG are bloody useless at giving out information) existing ones can continue to be sold, and there will be no indication whether or not something was tested (like the T2400) under the old test scheme, or the new one.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 25 Jun 2005 Posts: 45 Location: Manchester, UK
Nigel and DX, your information as per usual is excellent. I was all ready with my credit card to purchase the T2400 as I'm keen to have the HD for the F1 season, but will hold off now to see what else emerges.

Also thanks for letting us know about YouView, as from their website this sounds amazing especially if (according to their FAQ) they are ready to go in April.. I remain sceptical about that. However as a developer I can't wait to see what happens there.
misterp
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2006 Posts: 402 Location: Hull
Well, I'm not interested in Dolby or HD at all, so I think the purchase of a second 5800 from Ebay at 82 inc postage was an excellent choice!
Now the proud owner of a bedroom toppy!
(The wife's complaining about the bright display at night though!)
Steve

Andy K
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jun 2005 Posts: 3515
so is this icecrypt any good ?

had a recent f/w upgrade ? still got bugs ?

I assume no TAPs

What is it like at skipping ads ?
teabelly
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to know too.. I cracked and ordered one earlier. It was between that and the humax 9300 but the latter is sd only and needs a dac as it doesn't have analogue rca phono outs. The icecrypt says it does. Makes them a similar price but the icecrypt has HD and more than double the disk space. Tivo I had for a minute as that didn't have rca phonos either so I sent it packing.

I don't think the humax hd boxes offer record two and watch a third which the icecrypt does either.
chris_s
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 403
teabelly wrote:
... and needs a dac as it doesn't have analogue rca phono outs.
Yes it does.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
DX
Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2694
teabelly wrote:
I don't think the humax hd boxes offer record two and watch a third which the icecrypt does either.

If you mean the HDR-Fox T2 it does. Humax don't push it as a feature since it is difficult to explain why you can sometimes watch a 3rd channel and sometimes cannot, depending on what mux's are involved.

See http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/34163/humax-hdr-fox-t2-preview
teabelly
Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:39 am Reply with quote
Humax HD box is much pricier than the icecrypt though. Just got a 2400 for 189 for 1TB. Humax is 279.

I spent ages trawling through specs. It is annoying when manufacturers don't describe their products properly! Couldn't even tell from product shots well either.

9300T specs didn't mention rcas so I assumed there weren't any.