Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Connects tehn immediately disconnects

Page 1 of 1
Kinch
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 97 Location: Hampshire/Surrey/W.Sussex
Hi,

After spending most of the night trying to figure out why my laptop woudlnt connect to the Toppy i have come to the conclusion that it has nothig nto do with the laptop (tried XP, Vista and W7 on 3 machines and its all the same). Ive also tried with 2 USB cables.
I installed Topfield tooks first as per instructions.

My problem is, i have the Toppy on and plug the USB in ... nothing.
If i then turn the Toppy off then on again i get the usual USB connection "bink bink" and then almost immediately get the USB disconnection "bink bonk".

First time i did it it installed the drivers so know thats not the problem.
I have done a reset, but dont want to do a full reset and lose all my saved progs.

One other strange irregularity is that if i switch it of fat the mains and switch it back on it hangs with "RUN" displayed on the toppy, and wont fire up unless i switch to standby and back on.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Ta

billmars
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Sep 2005 Posts: 761
Kinch wrote:
First time i did it it installed the drivers so know thats not the problem.

As far as I remember, I think you should install the drivers before any connection is made to the Topfield. When the drivers are installed, _then_ connect to the Topfield.
From what you say it sounds as if you are connecting up before installing the drivers - I don't think that's right.

5800 Samsung 1Tb Autostart TAPs: Extend 1.7;TSRCommander 1.5;TF5000 Display 1.53;EPG2MEI 0.95;MyStuff 6.6;QuickJump 1.72;Power Down 0.75;SecCache 0.4;TSSaver 0.4;MHEG Control B2;eit_sub_sng 0.6 Transmitter: Belmont Extras: as2mei (via NSLU2)
Kinch
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 97 Location: Hampshire/Surrey/W.Sussex
I thought it was just the case of istalling Altair then plugging it in and hte drivers get uploaded automatically.
Thats how i used to do it when i loaded on laods of taps a while ago.

I have also noticed that RECORDING is greyed out in the Toppy Menu, and when i hit the record button nothing happens ..... i am using a harmony 885 but dont think that is the problem.

I think im clutching at straws but it seems as if my HD has failed and wont ket m eaccess it or record ??

I wish i knew more !!!

Darucla
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
May be worth checking the PSU voltages, as detailed in the PSU thread in the Bugs section.

tag808
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Kinch wrote:
I thought it was just the case of istalling Altair then plugging it in and hte drivers get uploaded automatically.
Thats how i used to do it when i loaded on laods of taps a while ago.

That is how I understood the procedure also. I have the same problem. Downloaded Altair & driver first then connected. Did it on 2 PC's one with Win7, the other XP same result. (I used the 64bit replacement driver for win7 version) Nothing possible as neither laptop will recognise the Toppy (connects then 1 second later disconnects, even though I was able to use this 1 sec window to point the device to the driver, it does the same thing the next time). I also have the 5810PVRt - Don't know if a different driver is needed for this type of toppy, but not seen anything mentioned. Can anyone please point me to an idiots guide on what I (and Kinch) should do? If I need to test hardware PSU etc. I'm probably beyond my limited abilities. Cheers.

juwlz
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
If Altair is connecting then disconnecting, it's almost certainly because it can't access the hard drive (and if so, I'd expect that you won't be able to see the archive in the Toppy UI either). As that's the original problem you reported (or rather, recording is greyed out, which also means the drive is inaccessible), that pretty much confirms it.

If it's a problem with the hard drive, there's a very high possibility that it's a PSU failure ... especially on 5800s aged 3+ (which it is, if your forum joining date is anything to go by). For DIY repair, see the PSU Repair Wiki page. In the meantime, unplug it from the mains until you've resolved the hardware problem ... otherwise there may be a knock on effect which will make it more expensive to repair! The PSU may or may not have permanently damaged the hard drive. You can take the drive out of the Toppy and hook it up to a PC (you'll need to install TopfHDRW to be able to see the drive) to attempt to recover data from it.

It you don't fancy avoiding the death hazards of tinkering with the Toppy's innards, forum members andyfras (tinyurl.com/ToppyRepairandyfras, in Fleet) and MikeyP (tinyurl.com/ToppyRepairMikeyP, in Bolton) both offer an inexpensive repair service for other forum members, generally with quick turnaround.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
tag808
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Julie, that is some fine detective work! It all seems to make perfect sense now you come to mention it. My 5810Pvrt has been reduced to being a basic freeview box with none of the controls working that mobilise the HDD (e.g. archive, record, pause etc - just like the guy who started this thread). I had not mentioned any of these symptoms myself because I had assumed it was a software issue that I was going to attempt to address once I got over the initial hurdle of connecting it to my PC.

This is my second Topfield a 5810PVRt, my first one (also a paperweight) was indeed the 5800 and even although it has adorned the attic for the last couple of years, you have probably diagnosed the problem with that also Smile

I have unplugged it from the mains and in the next few days I'll attempt to check the PSU voltages and the HDD to find out how far the damage has spread.

Do you know of anyone who sells the capacitor kits to repair the PSU?
Also, can you speculate on further components that could be damaged and how to check (it has been plugged in on standby in this state for the last 6 months).

I really appreciate your quick response (especially at such an early hour and with all the helpful links you put in).

Cheers.

juwlz
Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
tag808 wrote:
Do you know of anyone who sells the capacitor kits to repair the PSU?
Yes - forum member andyfras (who also offers a repair service if you prefer not to DIY).
Quote:
Also, can you speculate on further components that could be damaged and how to check (it has been plugged in on standby in this state for the last 6 months).
Not my area of expertise - andyfras can probably advise though Wink.
Quote:
I really appreciate your quick response (especially at such an early hour and with all the helpful links you put in).
Insomnia has its uses Sad.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012