Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  QuickBlank feature request:- works from Playback

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
MarkPax
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Nov 2010 Posts: 520
Hi EMJB

QuickBlank is great, it's my 2nd favourite TAP after MyStuff (high praise indeed!)
Would it be possible for it to work in Playback mode, ie pressing 0 during playback would terminate playback and switch to a blank channel. Particularly it would need to work with MyStuff.

Why do I ask?
When playing back a recording, I want to move to a blank channel before entering the MyStuff Archive. I can do this using the Macro TAP by mapping a key to Stop > QuickBlank > Archive. The problem is the Stop keypress:- it means my macro only works properly in Playback mode. From live TV it throws up the "which channel do you want to stop recording?" message, in Timeshift it moves me to Live. This makes it hard to use for the rest of my family (and for me!).

If QuickBlank worked in playback mode, I could simplify my macro and I think it would work in all circumstances. The macro might not even be necessary - just pressing 0, Archive from playback is not that onerous.

Thanks again for marvellous QuickBlank.

EMJB
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 Jul 2005 Posts: 3632 Location: Maldon Essex
MarkPax wrote:
Hi EMJB

Wrong author - you want simonc IIRC. I only did the TAP that generates the blank channels.

EMJB
MarkPax
Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Oops!
In the original post, please read my sucking up to EMJB as sucking up to simonc! Smile

EMJB
Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This may do the sort of thing you want.

It mutes the sound and shrinks the picture when viewing Live TV. Can run from Auto Start if you like it, or anywhere else in /PF/ for you to try. It starts activated, but you can de-activate & re-activate using TAP Commander - select this TAP there & press OK. To close either use TAP Commander or press "Exit" 10( yes, ten!) times.

Only briefly tested, and activation/deactivation/Exit not very user friendly, but hopefully good enough to see whether it is worth pursuing.

EMJB
ccs
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2565
I've given it a go (on a 5810) - it shrinks live tv ok, but playback is also shrunk Shocked, unless that was intended. Confused

ccsx
EMJB
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
ccs wrote:
I've given it a go (on a 5810) - it shrinks live tv ok, but playback is also shrunk Shocked, unless that was intended. Confused

Not the intention, nor what happens on my 5800 - the playback is fine.

My first effort set the picture back to normal size when replaying, but that stopped the replay and/or caused a crash, and seemed to be unecessary so I left it out. Before I do any more investigations:

(1) Does this TAP work as designed for MarkPax, and if so is it roughly what he wants?

(2) Are there any 5810 users that particularly want this sort of functionality?

EMJB
ccs
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2565
EMJB wrote:
(2) Are there any 5810 users that particularly want this sort of functionality?
Not for me - I can cope with live tv as it is at the moment.

ccsx
Ex_Sailor
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Dec 2005 Posts: 239 Location: Cambridge
Not for me, I'm happy with the way the 5810 handles it now.

Colin
chris_s
Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 403
I don't (yet ?) use Mystuff, and very rarely watch in chase-play. The use of StartChannelLCN(105) gets over most problems apart from a tuner changing Mux: then QuickBlank must be invoked.

I have yet to try EMJB's latest TAP, but I would dearly love the behaviour that I got used to with the TiVo, i.e. Present the user with silence and graphics except when the user specifically wants to watch something, either live or chase or recorded.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
simonc
Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5639 Location: Cheltenham
Hmm, could be done. Certainly there have been times when I've wanted it to work from timeshift. I suppose it could be a bit annoying if you're trying to navigate to 50% and are a bit slow hitting the 0, thus it jumps to 5% followed by a stop and change to blank channel! OTOH, I thing pressing P+ or P- during playback stops playback and changes channel.
MarkPax
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys
Thanks for your feedback. In the end I got off my butt and wrote my own TAP, based on the QuickBlanks idea. It changes you to a blank channel (teletext) when
- you press the Archive, Guide or List key (I have MyStuff set up so that Timers is on the List key not on White), and
- when a dual record starts.
This seems to work well with MyStuff, those three keys are about the only way to get into MyStuff, so you always have a blank, silent screen then. All the MyStuff features seem to work OK. The second feature overcomes the problem that when a dual record starts the Toppy moves the Main service to one of the recording channels.

The only downside of it is that if you are watching Live and you go into MyStuff and then Exit, you come out on a blank channel and have to re-select your Live channel again. Same if a dual record starts. Not a problem for me, silence is golden IMHO Smile.

I've been using it a week and it hasn't screwed up, or showed me any Live TV at all. It basically emulates a TiVo or most of the other "conventional" PVRs out there. Bliss.

The TAP also disables the horrible Stop key in playback, because that always takes you Live, and I've also set it up so that White mimics MyStuff's Autodelete function - press White in playback to go straight to the "do you want to delete" menu in MyStuff's Archive.

It's the first C program I've written (my last programming was in Fortran 77 so that dates me) so my syntax is probably quite comedic. It's also hard coded for what I want to do, so it's not flexible. I'd be very happy to post it on here, but can't see how to do attachments, nor do I have a website to upload it to. Also caveat emptor - it's definitely "sold as seen". I'm sure you guys could break it in 5 minutes if you tried. If anyone's interested in it, let me know and we'll go from there.

My I also say how impressed I am with the TAP development tools, like all things Toppy it looked daunting, but I was actually up and running within an hour (of which about half was finding my Mac OS Install DVD & installing gcc). Thanks to whoever set that up. Thanks to simonc for the QuickBlanks (Teletext) idea, I would never have thought of that in a million years, and to EMJB for knocking up a TAP to help me solve my problem.

chris_s
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 May 2008 Posts: 403
This sounds very much like what I want, although being hard coded for your MyStuff preferences may make it inappropriate for my use: I would love to see the code (I have written 1 piece of C code [and quite a bit of DSP assembler] since my Fortran days).

I am glad that there are a few out there who share my preferences for 'TiVo' style operation.

Chris.

TAPs: QuickJump 1.72; MPDisplayLITE V1.2; QuickBlank 0.2; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG On/Off A3; (Start Channel LCN);
Sig generated by MyInfo on 14/3/12
TV=Panasonic TX-32DT2 IDTV (32" CRT via CVBS-SCART), Tx: Sutton Coldfield. "My other PVR is a TiVo".
MarkPax
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Hi Chris, I just PM'd you the code.

chunkywizard
Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
I'll host it for you on Toppy.org. If you email me the code I'll put it on line. My gmail address is chunkywizard@

HTH

CW

MarkPax
Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:23 am Reply with quote
@ Chris:- it doesn't play well with the standard Toppy UI. If you press Stop or change channels (which my TAP does) before going into the Archive the Toppy forgets which programme was being played and the cursor moves to the bottom of the list, rather than remaining on what you were watching. A pain. I can't see a way round it. I guess the EMJB approach of shrinking the playing window right down & muting might have merit for non-MyStuff users..... Why don't you use MyStuff? Wink

@ CW:- thanks very much, I will do that later. I'll put some description blurb in the email as well.

cheers all