Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Problems with new WD20EARS HDD with AV Tech SATA to IDE

Page 1 of 1
jezh
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Hi, I've installed a 2TB WD20EARS 'Western Digital Caviar Green' with an AV Tech Sata to IDE converter (after copying the files from my old drive over to the new). But I'm having some trouble when the new drive is installed.

Sometimes the drive isn't detected, sometimes it is. When it is the Toppy is sluggish. When I play a recording that I know to be fine when using the old drive, I see picture quality degredation - similar to what you get when the aerial signal is low.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
ccs
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2626
Did you format the drive in the toppy, as I believe that using TopfHDRW, for example, is no longer recommended?

ccsx
jezh
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I formatted it in the Toppy then used TopfHDRW to copy the files. I've just found this pdf about the jumpers on the drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

Could it be that the drive is SATA II and either the Toppy or the converter can't cope with the high data rate and I perhaps need to put a jumper across pins 7&8 to restrict the rate to 150 MB/s.
ccs
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2626
This might help you (more than me!).

Bit more here.

And here.

ccsx
jumbo
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
You may want to apply the HDD Detection patch to your Toppy firmware (if it ain't already there). SATA II functionality is NOT the problem. We've all been using SATA II drives for eons.

I'd suspect (a) the IDE cable (length, quality and type), (b) the adapter (in combination with the large size drive), (c) the Toppy and lastly (d) the drive itself - in that order.

What IDE cable are you using?

Last edited by jumbo on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jezh
Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks I'll try that. Last time I updated MyStuff (to 6.2) I let it apply all the firmware patches it recommended. I don't recall whether the HDD Detection patch was in the list.

a) the IDE cable is about 40 cm long - I had to use a different one after installing the new drive because the old was too short. I have the old drive in it at the moment and that's working fine with the 40cm cable. Mind you it's not a new one so I'll try another.

b) I have 5800 with same disk (including size) and SATA-to-IDE as jof who seems to have it working.

c) not much I can do about that one Sad

d) oh

When I hooked up the new drive to my USB-3.5inch disk caddy to xfer my existing files over, all seemed fine - well TopfHDRW seemed to take longer than I would have expected to create the directory tree, but then that was the first time I'd used TopfHDRW. I don't have a very deep directory tree btw. It coped with the way the Toppy had formatted the drive and it seems to have written the files through the USB->Caddy->AV Tech SATA-IDE->HDD ok - although I'll check that too.
jumbo
Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
jezh wrote:
a) the IDE cable is about 40 cm long
That is most probably (99.9%) the source of your woes! Either get a shorter one or get a master/slave one and use the smaller section that fits. You can either leave the "spare" section dangling or you can cut it off cleanly with a sharp knife/pair of scissors.
jof
Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2009 Posts: 26
jumbo wrote:
jezh wrote:
a) the IDE cable is about 40 cm long
That is most probably (99.9%) the source of your woes! Either get a shorter one or get a master/slave one and use the smaller section that fits.

I agree with all that - the shorter the better.
80 connector is preferable.
And if you can choke/shield it as well, great.
The Toppy does seem to be more picky than a PC when it comes to the IDE cable.

As you did, I let the Toppy format the drive and then used TopfHDRW to copy my almost full original disk over to the new disk.
Both drives were connected directly to the computer - IDE and SATA ports, no USB.
I can't remember how long it took, but it wasn't too long.

Regardng the jumpers, I have none fitted.
Pins 7 & 8 relate to the advanced formatting of the drive.
See these links for more info:
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/advancedformat/
http://tinyurl.com/2u3zu3d

fofp
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 16 Mar 2009 Posts: 84
I had a great deal of trouble from the AvTech adapter. See thread at:

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=253787#253787

?