Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Recommendation for Sept FW Users?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Pedant
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:47 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Posts: 65
I installed the September FW yesterday and so far have had no problems with it. I came direct from the April FW, because I wanted to avoid the the widescreen switching problems.

What should I do now?

The options seem to be:

Stay with the September FW until I have problem

Revert to the April FW

What do Topfield / Turbo sat recommend?
rayd
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:58 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Jun 2005 Posts: 377 Location: West London
Pedant wrote:
I installed the September FW yesterday and so far have had no problems with it. I came direct from the April FW, because I wanted to avoid the the widescreen switching problems.

What should I do now?

The options seem to be:

Stay with the September FW until I have problem

Revert to the April FW

It depends on whether or not you are totally reliant on the Toppy for recording.

The Toppy September firmware WILL cause you to lose recordings. I have a Fusion box (which the Toppy was supposed to replace) and make duplicate recordings. At the moment, I am watching mainly the Fusion Crying or Very sad

If I didn't have the backup, then I would certainly return to the August update. Although it had the widescreen switching problem, it did seem otherwise OK - as long as I didn't leave it on BBC1, when it got a bit unresponsive.

Firmware prior to this will certainly crash the box due to the MHEG problem.

So, if you need to record on the Toppy, go back to August firmware. It's pretty safe.

If you have alternative recording arrangements, stay with September and take your chances Smile

Cheers,

Ray D
vroomfondle
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
Quote:
Revert to the April FW

How will you do that? is it available on line somewhere?

They're keeping their heads down.

Use it with the Sept f/w. Monitor recording status from time to time. If it seems to be recording when it shouldn't then stop any recording that has overrun (disk space allowing). Trim off gross excess using the built in cut tool.
Don't take a holiday and rely on it, for that use the August interim f/w which may crash from time to time but you won't be there to see it.
andrec
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:04 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 1349 Location: Bristol, U.K.
rayd wrote:
Pedant wrote:

What should I do now?

The Toppy September firmware WILL cause you to lose recordings.

I'm not saying Ray's wrong. I am saying it hasn't happened to me.

I am further saying that the bottom line of all the trials and tribulations of the last month is that the Topfield's programming is such that unpredictable things happen in unpredictable circumstances.

I expect other people will offer further advice, and I'm sure it will be good advice. You can be certain of one thing only: YMMV.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 21 Jul 2005 Posts: 65
Quote:

Revert to the April FW

How will you do that? is it available on line somewhere?

Yes it's available for download on the Topfield site.
jimscrivener
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 132 Location: Hastings UK
I had no problems with the "interim" fix preceding the flawed real fix.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Like wise I am having no problems with the "interim" fix.

I am normally cautions about upgrades so do not take an upgrade till other have tested it. So I am still on the "interim" fix. Wink

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I've been happily recording using the latest Semptember firmware since saturday. Does anyone know under exactly what circumstances the problems occur? This would be very helpful.

Also, rather than go back I'm happy to be a beta tester for the new fix; how do I volunteer for this?
rhawrylak
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 May 2005 Posts: 70
Some people have been reporting simply setting a 5-min recording of BBC1 - it starts recording but never stops. There are several ways of doing this of course. Toppy's basic recording or using Jag's EPG or Improbox. Have a read of the conversations in the Bugs forum section.
I too have had no problems since installing the Sept firmware. I have tried a 5-min recording from Jag's EPG. No problems.
As it seems so easy to replicate for some people there must be something fundamentally wrong on their system. Perhaps running a version of a TAP that conflicts with the new firmware? No-one seems to know.
lstew
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 06 Sep 2005 Posts: 48
rhawrylak wrote:
Perhaps running a version of a TAP that conflicts with the new firmware? No-one seems to know.

Well, I bought my toppy last Thursday and it arrived on Friday with the 5.12.03 firmware (must have been installed before it was publicly released).

I haven't yet installed any TAPs, and I have experienced the runaway recording defect as well as a 0Mb recording. So I think I can safely say that it is not an issue with TAP compatibility.
DX
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
minkeymonkey wrote:

Also, rather than go back I'm happy to be a beta tester for the new fix; how do I volunteer for this?

Just keep watching the Home page for news of the arrival of the public beta (see "September firmware withdrawn" news covering what is happening).
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
The new firmware will be available to everyone on the site as a public beta.

Before that happens, the current testers will be giving it a quick sanity check, likely overnight. I'm not taking any extra volunteers for that right now. Assuming there is nothing horrible happening, the firmware will be available for everyone to test on the site sometime tomorrow.

An announcement will appear here, together with details of how people can provide useful feedback on it, and an email will be sent to those who are registered for forum announcements.

Nigel.

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 163
[quote="rayd"]

So, if you need to record on the Toppy, go back to August firmware. It's pretty safe.

[quote]

If Turbosat had come out with that quote I would be breathing fie by now!!! Isn't recording what the Toppy is meant for? ( I know what you did mean though!)

The interim fix is working just fine for me so is it best to leave it at that for the moment?

I am going away on holiday in 12 days time, my confidence level is quite low that I will return to find everything recorded as planned. Evil or Very Mad
AllanG
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 15 May 2005 Posts: 459 Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Beancounter wrote:

[Snip]

The interim fix is working just fine for me so is it best to leave it at that for the moment?

I am going away on holiday in 12 days time, my confidence level is quite low that I will return to find everything recorded as planned. Evil or Very Mad

Like you. I'm back to the "Interim" firmware. No lost recordings and no BBC crashes (so far).

With that particular firmware, I think that the "BBC" bug only manifested itself if you ran TAPs and left the Toppy running for days on end.

So...

1. Turn off any TAPs you have running
  2. Switch to ITV (or anything which isn't the BBC!)
  3. Put the Toppy on standby
  4. Enjoy your holiday.

Sig generated by MyInfo on 24/12/10
subtext
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Jul 2005 Posts: 47 Location: Staffordshire
AllanG wrote:

[*]Switch to ITV (or anything which isn't the BBC!)

Shouldn't you ensure neither tuner is on a BBC channel, via PiP and PiP-X ?