Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Disk upgrades - summary of working and non-working models

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Odd Job
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Hi folks

I had disk issues: the drive was struggling to spin up and I was having recording issues. So I first got the capacitors checked by Andy Fraser, he did a good job but the problem remained. Must have been a drive issue.

I got a Seagate Barracuda, here are the details:

I first tried a generic SATA to IDE convertor, couldn't get it to work at all and then discovered it has the JM20330 chipset. So I gave up on that one and got a Startech, the one that is recommended in the other thread about the adapters.
This one worked fine with my Barracuda drive on the original IDE cable, but wouldn't work on my longer 40 wire IDE cable. It could see the drive and would act like it was recording but when you go to the archive, the recording isn't there. Also, it was doing a weird black screen after you stopped the recording.

I then tried Bob Swede's idea with the 80 wire cable and the drilled out hole. Put the motherboard end of the cable in the IDE adaptor and the last drive connector in the motherboard.
This worked just fine, first time (I recommend you have a steady hand when drilling the connector, especially if you have no workshop vice or other items to hold the connector properly). I managed by doing it with a small rotary tool and going slowly.

Here it is all working, been fine for a week now:

timnicholls01
Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Oct 2008 Posts: 51 Location: Windsor, Berkshire - Crystal Palace
Had a WD5000BPVT 500 GB SATA 2.5" in my 5810 for a couple of months. This is the drive they happen to recommend for PS3 upgrades (not the reason I chose it).

Would work fine but only intermittently.
Had quite a few shutdown errors, freezing etc.
Using a Turbosat SATA adapter.
Mystuff 6.4 (which was also very unresponsive at times)
Reduced channels with Channel Organiser etc.

Have now downgraded to an old Samsung Spinpoint 250GB I had lying around and it's SO much better in every way except capacity obviously.

Hope this helps someone. Smile

?
anthony2l
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Apr 2011 Posts: 234
It sounds as if you had similar problems to me with the SATA drive - see
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20244

My drive was a slightly different model WDV5000AVDS but I expect the connections would be the same. Might be worth just another check to see if it works better if you seat or fix (tape) the SATA cable to the connector at the motherboard end.

Caps 31/07/13; Turbosat 500Gb SATA
timnicholls01
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:56 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Oct 2008 Posts: 51 Location: Windsor, Berkshire - Crystal Palace
anthony2l wrote:
It sounds as if you had similar problems to me with the SATA drive - see
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20244

My drive was a slightly different model WDV5000AVDS but I expect the connections would be the same. Might be worth just another check to see if it works better if you seat or fix (tape) the SATA cable to the connector at the motherboard end.

Thanks for the thought Anthony but I'm sure that wasn't my issue. I did extensive testing and with the new drive in there it's so much more responsive etc in Mystuff that it has to be related to the drive itself Smile

?
Rafe
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 May 2006 Posts: 94
Have just upgraded to a WD10EZRX using the Turbosat adapter. All seems to be working fine.
malc
Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:38 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
Have just replaced a faulty WD2500AVJB 250GB that the toppy came with. Note that SMART didn't find errors with this disk but the toppy was unreliable (caps had been replaced). It wouldn't do a long recording and after disk had disappeared (showing 0/0MB in archive). Tried the WD reformatted on PC but equally unreliable to disk diagnostics (would lock up PC).

I fitted a Maxtor STM3160215A 160GB that I had on a PC and not being used. No AAM but a pretty quiet disk. Toppy now records ok and no faults now so this disk works in a toppy.

It currently does not stop spinning after 10 minutes of idle (timeshift is off) but according to another thread this is normal with a new disk for a few days or so.

damiandixon
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
Rafe wrote:
Have just upgraded to a WD10EZRX using the Turbosat adapter. All seems to be working fine.

I've tried this combination but have not been able to get this combination to work.

Disk spins up but nothing prompts for formatting and format option greyed out.

What jumper settings are you using?

Thanks
Damian

PS. CAPs replaced by Andy awhile back.
andyfras
Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3450
It should work without jumpers, but you could try one on 5-6 to slow the data rate. I've used this disk with several Toppies, but not with the Turbosat adapter.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
sergey
Posted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
2.5 years after upgrade my TF5800PVR:
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 5k3000 2TB SATA
IDE/SATA converter: recommended by this forum from TurboSat.

Capacitors were replaced 1.5 years ago.

The disk still creates some noise especially tonight.

As described before - problems started when less than 4% free disk space left. I think this is related to fragmentation but Toppy's OS should not require defragmentation by definition.

I am thinking to upgrade my next purchased from Amazon Toppy (TF5800PVRt) to 3TB.
blueskydays
Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The Turbosat adapter and 2TB WD hard disc (WD20EZRX) is working fine.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2tb-wd-wd20ezrx-green-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-intellipower-64mb-cache

My FritzBox 7390 (broadband modem/router) has a usb connection, it allows me to connect to the TF5800 from a remote computer and see the recordings. When running the Topfield tools and TopfHDRW on the remote PC, they are able to see the recording files on the TF5800 but fail when trying to copy between devices. I need to investigate further as I was only playing and sure there is away around the issue e.g. cli.
Toppy_Tom
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 08 Sep 2006 Posts: 61
Toppy_Tom wrote:
I fitted a Western Digital 1.5 TB Caviar Green SATA II WD15EARS to my parent's 5800 last week using the TurboSat IDE/SATA converter -

http://www.turbosat.com/products/BRIDGE-MODULE--PATA-%252d-SATA-.html

No problems at all so far, (touch wood!), this is after 7 days use. Installation was made much more straightforward as the Turbosat adaptor doesn't require an IDE cable. The only slight problem I ran into was that the internal part of the RF in/out socket (the seating / bracket on the inside of the case) left very little room for the SATA plug on the back of the hard drive. I managed to wedge it in and it works but it's far from ideal. There's also very little room for the molex plug, so that too is wedged up against the seating bracket for the RF in/out.

I fitted a jumper plug on pins 5&6 of the hard drive to limit the transfer speed. Not sure what effect, if any, that this had as I have not tried without it, but it certainly doesn't seem to have done any harm.

Tom

21 months on and no problems so far (touch wood), the WD15EARS has performed well and it's much quieter than the stock hard drive it replaced.

I sourced another used WD15EARS on ebay which I'm planning to install in my own 5800 today, I'll be using the TurboSat IDE/SATA converter again as this combo seems to have worked well in the other unit.

TF5800 - Silver, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy TAPs: EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; MyStuff 6.5; SecCache (UK) v0.4; TF5800 - Black, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; MyInfo B5.6; Sig generated by MyInfo on 15/2/14
TigerTiger
Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
After many years of faithful service, and in spite of having no problems, after coming back to read these forums, I was persuaded to replace the 1000uF caps in my Toppy's PSU.

Before doing so, I measured the voltages and found that the +5v (in particular) was wrong - down to 4.5v.

New caps installed, 5v line back to exactly 5v (!) - excellent I thought. Job done.

Err, not exactly... Plugged it all back in, switched on again, "Format will delete all files" (or whatever the message said!). Tried many times to no avail. Fortunately, I'd copied all the saved Movies and special telly off to the PC, so I bit the bullet and said "yes" to format. 30 seconds later, I have a working, but empty, disk.

Anyone else had this or something similar? With hindsight, there may have been a clue that something was on its way - for a few days before opening the machine for its surgery, I noticed that it was sometimes very reluctant to respond to the "file" button. But I'd put that down to having the Toppy plugged into the PC.

And now, the next question - has anyone successfully replaced the 3.5 disk with a 2.5? As one of my diagnostic steps, I plugged a 40GB laptop drive into the Toppy and it didn't seem to know it was there - no errors, no "format" message; nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Roy
andyfras
Posted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
TigerTiger wrote:
After many years of faithful service, and in spite of having no problems, after coming back to read these forums, I was persuaded to replace the 1000uF caps in my Toppy's PSU.

You just need to change the other 12 PSU capacitors now.

TigerTiger
Posted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
TigerTiger wrote:

You just need to change the other 12 PSU capacitors now.

Wink

I probably would have done the other day but the shop I was in didn't have all the right values (or at least, they didn't have all of the right values in the physical sizes that will fit).

I know, "should have gone to andyfras"... Smile

How much for all the other 12 from you?
andyfras
Posted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
TigerTiger wrote:
.I know, "should have gone to andyfras"... Smile

How much for all the other 12 from you?

Currently 9 for 18 capacitors inc. postage. If the shop you used for the 6 was Maplin, they won't last long. I use top grade Panansonic capacitors for all key values.

If you think that the ones you used are good enough, I can supply the other 12. Please PM me for details.