Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Disk upgrades - summary of working and non-working models

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Fort Jefferson
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
The 80 wire lead has a 40 way socket, the same as the 40 wire version, but there is a screen between each of the wires to enable higher data rates. The Toppy mainboard socket does not have an earth connection for the screen, but the adapter does, that is why the lead must be reversed.

You can ignore the advice on the forum if you like, but it is the collection of many members' experiences that has led to the way to get a working adapter.

Sorry, I didn't realize the 80 wire lead had the same socket, so I guess my next move, is to get an 80 wire lead, and fit it backwards?
andyfras
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3457
Get one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18CM-Dual-Drive-Ultra-ATA-IDE-CD-DVD-Disk-Drive-Ribbon-Cable-/371953492448

Cut off the short end (black in this case) with scissors close to the grey connector. Plug the grey connector into the Toppy mainboard, and the blue into the SATA adapter. With some leads, the grey connector will need the blank hole drilled, but this one looks unblanked.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
Fort Jefferson
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
Get one like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18CM-Dual-Drive-Ultra-ATA-IDE-CD-DVD-Disk-Drive-Ribbon-Cable-/371953492448

Cut off the short end (black in this case) with scissors close to the grey connector. Plug the grey connector into the Toppy mainboard, and the blue into the SATA adapter. With some leads, the grey connector will need the blank hole drilled, but this one looks unblanked.

Ok, just ordered it, you're a star. Thanks a lot for your help, I let you know how I get on.
Fort Jefferson
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately no joy. I've tried the cable the way you said, and the other way round. The only other thing I could try was the jumper on the adapter, slave or master or remove all together which I had tried. I also tried another SATA drive too.

Do I need the adapter? can I just use a lead? I have a power adapter lead out of an old PC if I can get a DATA lead, would that work?
andyfras
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Fort Jefferson wrote:
Do I need the adapter? can I just use a lead?

The adapter is converting from parallel (Toppy) to serial (SATA disk) data, so is definitely needed. I suspect that the adapter you are trying to use is one of the Toppy incompatible ones (there are several).

I can supply a tested, working combination of adapter and cable, ready to be fitted into a Toppy.

Fort Jefferson
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
Fort Jefferson wrote:
Do I need the adapter? can I just use a lead?

The adapter is converting from parallel (Toppy) to serial (SATA disk) data, so is definitely needed. I suspect that the adapter you are trying to use is one of the Toppy incompatible ones (there are several).

I can supply a tested, working combination of adapter and cable, ready to be fitted into a Toppy.

That may be the best way, as I've only spent 5.30 on the kit I've got, It's hardly a great loss. Will you PM me with a price? and how to proceed if it's OK. I had three sets of capacitors off you before.
andyfras
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
PM sent.

Fort Jefferson
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
PM sent.

That's fine, I've sent you the money. My PM reply seems to be stuck in my out box.
andyfras
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
Fort Jefferson wrote:
My PM reply seems to be stuck in my out box.

Messages stay in your Outbox until read by the recipient, they then move to your Sentbox

Fort Jefferson
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
For anyone else following this thread, Andy has sorted me out with a working adapter and lead at a very reasonable price.

All is now working.

John.