Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  Disk upgrades - summary of working and non-working models

Page 3 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
jumbo
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:36 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
andy___ wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of this problem or any ideas on what to try next?
It is quite obvious what you need to do next: Get rid of the 2Tb drive and downgrade to a smaller capacity one. There are no long-term reviews of 2Tb drives and only a few short-term ones. Even the most "green" of the 2Tb drives draw quite large currents from the PSU at spinup. If you want to eliminate the drive as the source of your woes you simply have to downgrade and see if the issues go away. Once satisfied with the drive you can move on to other components. Simplez.
TonyC
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Nov 2005 Posts: 158
jumbo wrote:
There are no long-term reviews of 2Tb drives and only a few short-term ones.

Well, my 2Tb Samsung has been installed (and on 24/7) for about 18 months with no hardware* problems, so I guess that counts as one long-term positive report.

Whether the current draw (running or spin-up) on a modern 2Tb "green" drive is more than old non-"green" smaller drives, I'm not sure. The spin-up time is definitely longer so best to keep the drive spinning all the time (ie Toppy powered up and Timeshift on) to avoid issues of the drive not being ready quickly enough.

* The native Archive did get a bit upset when it got to 95% full, admittedly
andy___
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Sep 2011 Posts: 47 Location: Stirling
jumbo wrote:
It is quite obvious what you need to do next: Get rid of the 2Tb drive and downgrade to a smaller capacity one. There are no long-term reviews of 2Tb drives and only a few short-term ones. Even the most "green" of the 2Tb drives draw quite large currents from the PSU at spinup. If you want to eliminate the drive as the source of your woes you simply have to downgrade and see if the issues go away. Once satisfied with the drive you can move on to other components. Simplez.

Thanks for the idea Jumbo. I took your advice and swapped the 2TB drive for the 1TB one I had as my backup. The working drive is a 1TB WD10EAVS which isn?t yet listed on the summary of working models. The drive was inside a caddy which was sold as WD Elements desktop, model WD10000E035. I?ve been running it for a week and have recorded 70+ programmes without a hitch including many simultaneous recordings. The drive also shows up without problems using TopfHDRW so I think it is altogether a much better shout than a 2TB WD20EARX with a 5800. The power supply unit voltages are much the same as the EARX ones so it seems to be the drive rather than the capacitors which was causing the instability. I used the Turbosat converter with both.

I don?t know if we want to record the WD20EARX as not working. The only difference in setup is that I didn?t put the Media Manager 1.5 tap in autostart. I swapped the EARX into the caddy and it works fine in there so it doesn?t look like there was any damage to the 2TB drive.

? 2TB HDD, 12V fan with series resistor, Harmony 555 remote. DigitalStream HD PVR. W8 x64
jumbo
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:49 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
Good! At least you now have a working and reliable Toppy. I've had a WD 1.5Tb drive for a long time and haven't had any problems. I think a 2Tb might have quirks beyond the physical size and current draw which certain adapters and/or the Toppy hardware/firmware may have problems with. Consequently it might be better to stay with the tried-and-tested 1Tb or 1.5Tb drives. IDE/SATA adapters themselves have been known to misbehave so you can never be 100% sure of the root causes of hard drive related problems.
john5800
Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I replaced a very noisy failing HD with a Western Digital WD Caviar Green WD7500AADS about three months ago and it's quieter now than when it was brand new - I would definitely recommend it. It's 750GB which seems to be small by today's standards but it's more than enough for us as we generally watch and delete rather than hoarding stuff.

I used the TurboSat SATA adaptor to make things easy, and it worked like a charm (once I had connected the power lead to the adaptor board which is easy to miss!).
kevsterci
Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Nov 2006 Posts: 266
A non suitable HDD,

Hitachi deskstar HDS725050KLAT80 PATA (age jan 2007), really quiet but bad news is although it 'works', on playback it produces some interference and glitches accross the picture, the same as poor reception appears. So I best list it on the not to use list.

Kev

TF5800, No.1 250GB, No.2 160GB , No.3 160GB , No.4 500GB , Plus No.5 TF5810 500GB TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 ?Sy MyStuff 6.6 on all ;TAPs on ALL: EPG2MEI v0.96; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6; PruneEPG 1.0; MHEG On/Off A3
jof
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 03 Mar 2009 Posts: 26
Here's another working disk -
Toshiba MQ01ABD100.

Working with Turbosat SATA adapter for a week, no problems.
It's a 2.5" 1TB disk.
It is the disk inside the portable external USB3 "Toshiba Canvio Basics". It was just as cheap as a bare disk to buy this, open it up and remove the disk. It means I've also now got a spare disk case and SATA to USB3 adapter.

Some specs:
Capacity 1000
Formatted capacity 931
Interface SATA2
Power connector SATA
Spindle speed 5,400rpm
Cache 8MB
Seek time 12.0ms
Platters 2
Heads 4
Noise (in normal use) 19dB(A)

adrianlodge
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 May 2009 Posts: 52
Is this the most up to date list of compatible SATA drives (compatible with 5810)?

The drive in one of our toppys regularly freezes. Then, after a power cycle it gets stuck in a "verifying Folders / Reboot" loop.

To recover, I have to format the drive in a PC, then put it back in the toppy and reformat it. Its fine for a few weeks, the it fails again.

Adrian
andyfras
Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3463
If your 5810 is 3 years old as suggested by your forum join date, its PSU capacitors are probably failing. This is probably also the cause of the disk problems.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
timnicholls01
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Oct 2008 Posts: 51 Location: Windsor, Berkshire - Crystal Palace
timnicholls01 wrote:
Samsung HD103SJ 1.0 TB SATA
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MQC0P8/ref=oss_product

with

Turbosat PATA/SATA bridge
http://www.turbosat.com/products/BRIDGE-MODULE--PATA-%252d-SATA-.html
18.99 + delivery

Confirmed as working..

Died yesterday! 14 months that lasted Sad

Now looking for a replacement!

?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4444
This Amazon link indicates that the disk has a 3 year warranty so you should ask for a replacement.

[edit]Retrying the above link, it appears to go to the same place as where you bought it from and that the warranty is an addon. Suggest you check the manufacturer's site to see if your disk is covered by warranty - I googled and someone said his disk was but a second he bought wasn't![/edit]

Whether or not you want to put it back in the toppy is another matter ( I see there are several comments about failures on the Amazon link that you provided)

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
timnicholls01
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 07 Oct 2008 Posts: 51 Location: Windsor, Berkshire - Crystal Palace
Thanks Geoff. Assumed it was 1yr and have order a WD replacement.

I will investigate the warranty with Samsung. Smile

?
Darucla
Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1544
Samsung HDD warranty claims are now handled through Seagate (I believe) in the USA. However, if you get to that site and enter the required details about the disc, they will arrange a replacement from a depot in this country.
timnicholls01
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
Darucla wrote:
Samsung HDD warranty claims are now handled through Seagate (I believe) in the USA. However, if you get to that site and enter the required details about the disc, they will arrange a replacement from a depot in this country.

Which is exactly what is happening \o/

Thanks for the advice Smile

?
per-Sony-fied
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jan 2007 Posts: 121 Location: Essex
As I posted my original thoughts in the IDE/SATA section (mistakenly) last October I thought I'd update here.

Although I had initial problems (see the other thread) with the drive it has now settled down and been working pretty much flawlessly for many months. I am using the Turbosat IDE/SATA converter and settled via "MyStuff" to set T1 to Extreme.

This is a 2TB 5400rpm drive.

What I like about this drive is that I have shed loads of recordings from my original (full) 250GB drive and much more since installation and still have about 800hrs FREE Very Happy