Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  New users start here  ~  Newbie fitting hard drive.. err .. help

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
giza2020
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
Firstly I want to say I've spent quite a long time searching the forum for the answer to this but I've drawn a blank.

I recently had to leave the world of the Inverto which has been my friend for about 4 years Sad and I took the plunge and bought a Toppy.

However, I chose to buy a HDD less one and and fit my own.

I think I have fitted the HDD correctly (PATA) so I have now turned it on.

I have got the set up menu but this is where I need help.

A) Do I need to format the HDD
b) If I do how do I do it? .. the Format HDD option isnt hightlighted on the set up screen
c) I have downloaded the Window Vista Tools off Topfield.co.uk so do I now need to upload the latest firmware

I am in work at the moment so I was hoping to get some help now so tonight I can get on with setting it all up correctly.

I know I could spend a few days getting my head around this through trial and error but I think this is the type of community that wouldnt want to see me go through that pain Very Happy

If anyone has any other bits of advice I'd be really grateful

Finally .. I only saw one cable to connect to the HDD drive... that is correct isnt it?

OH and its a TF5810PVT

Thanks guys
juwlz
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
giza2020 wrote:
I think I have fitted the HDD correctly (PATA) so I have now turned it on.

I have got the set up menu but this is where I need help.

A) Do I need to format the HDD
b) If I do how do I do it? .. the Format HDD option isn't highlighted on the set up screen
This suggests that your Toppy simply can't see your Hard Drive. (And yes, you do need to format it using that menu.)

Did you fit one of the known working drive models? Even if you get them working, lots of drives don't play nicely with the Toppy.

I'm sure there will be others along before too long with more information for you on the hardware front, and information on actually connecting your hard drive successfully.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
giza2020
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply

That was my thought but I have bought the Western Digital WD5000AAKB 500GB HDD which others said worked as a straight replacement for the shipped HDD.

Now this might be a stuipid question BUT could I have fitted the cable upside down? or will it only fit into the connection one way?

I don't want to go too off the original questions so I can always check this obvious one tonight when I get home
jumbo
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
The Toppy should "see" all pata drives; There are problems with different sizes/brands which manifest themselves with use. Lockups, pixellationas and reboots are some of the problems reported. Western Digital, Samsung, and Seagate drives have proven the most compatible. So you clearly have one of the hundreds of crap 5810 from Turbosat and DOA too. Don't touch 5810s with a barge pole; They are lemons! Get rid of it quickly and go to your local Currys/PCWorld and see if yo could get a cheap and reliable (and super cheap 79 was the last priced quoted) 5800. If none is available locally they should be able to tell you if one is available at another branch. If unsuccessful then look for a bargain 5800 on fleabay. 5810 is a waste of money - as you've already found out! Most of the ones going out have been doing the rounds for a while now - well seasoned reject doppies.
giza2020
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
The Toppy should "see" all pata drives; There are problems with different sizes/brands which manifest themselves with use. Lockups, pixellationas and reboots are some of the problems reported. Western Digital, Samsung, and Seagate drives have proven the most compatible. So you clearly have one of the hundreds of crap 5810 from Turbosat and DOA too. Don't touch 5810s with a barge pole; They are lemons! Get rid of it quickly and go to your local Currys/PCWorld and see if yo could get a cheap and reliable (and super cheap 79 was the last priced quoted) 5800. If none is available locally they should be able to tell you if one is available at another branch. If unsuccessful then look for a bargain 5800 on fleabay. 5810 is a waste of money - as you've already found out! Most of the ones going out have been doing the rounds for a while now - well seasoned reject doppies.

OK - Wow Jumbo that's not made me feel too good!

Can you please back this up with any links to others who've had this issue???

Now I hope I've just put the cable on the HDD wrong and I read somewhere that putting the latest firmware might work when the HDD format is greyed out.
Doct0r
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
You have connected both the power and the data cable to the PATA drive haven't you? You said you fitted one cable, are you missing the other?

?
jumbo
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
giza2020 wrote:
OK - Wow Jumbo that's not made me feel too good!

Can you please back this up with any links to others who've had this issue???
I'm sorry for disappointing you but the 5810 and its woes have been around for a few years now and you just need to peruse the posts here yourself to get a gradual picture of the problems. Of course Turbosat trickle off-loading them on eBay is itself testimony enough. They had so many returns with frazzled parts they did not know what to do with so decided to pass them on to unsuspecting people like you and I (yes, I also burnt my fingers with two returned discless 5810s).

If you've used the original short cable that came with the doppy then you couldn't have got the connection wrong. Were you to upgrade to a SATA drive (using a SATA/IDE adapter) the cable and how you fit it woud be extremely important.
giza2020
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Doct0r wrote:
You have connected both the power and the data cable to the PATA drive haven't you? You said you fitted one cable, are you missing the other?

Now this is more like it .. I have a feeling I balls this up!

I only attached one cable (about 3/4 of an inch wide) not sure how many pins to the right hand side of the drive (looking from above) .. where would the power cable be found?.. I didnt see another cable ;o(
jumbo
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Make sure you do not accidentally touch the shiny aluminium heatsink on the power supply unit when tinkering. Unplug from the wall first and LEAVE for 2 minutes before you start working inside. Otherwise you'll be in for a nasty 300 volt electric shock!
giza2020
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
jumbo wrote:
Make sure you do not accidentally touch the shiny aluminium heatsink on the power supply unit when tinkering. Unplug from the wall first and LEAVE for 2 minutes before you start working inside. Otherwise you'll be in for a nasty 300 volt electric shock!

So should there be 2 cables?
giza2020
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
giza2020 wrote:
jumbo wrote:

So should there be 2 cables?
Doct0r
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2010 Posts: 353 Location: Birmingham
Yes, one is the molex (4 wires, red, 2 black, 1 yellow) the other should be the PATA data cable, usually grey with black ends, 2 rows of 20.

?
jumbo
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Molex (provides the power to the drive) looks like this

PS Don't press quote for every reply!
giza2020
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Doct0r wrote:
Yes, one is the molex (4 wires, red, 2 black, 1 yellow) the other should be the PATA data cable, usually grey with black ends, 2 rows of 20.

OK - this is a definate issue.. I think there was only 1 cable so I'll check tonight

Jumbo that is the one I have plugged in .. but nothing else is there!!

I'm thinking a data cable is missing ... thinking positive thoughts and come on Jumbo give me some positive vibes too Smile
juwlz
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10802 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Just click the Post Reply at the bottom of the screen unless there's anything specific in the post that you want to quote ... and in that case, edit out the irrelevant bits.

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012