Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Antares-- an Altair replacement for 32-bit & 64-bit Win.

Page 26 of 26
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
alan_m
Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3492
Jeddy wrote:

Any thoughts please?

A win7 power plan that shuts down the USB when the computer wants to go into sleep mode????

Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Dec 2008 Posts: 123
Altair no longer works for me (don't know why), but I think I may have sussed it, I tried a shorter cable and it seems a lot happier now. Maybe the longer cable is slightly suspect.
Thanks.

Jeddy
Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Dec 2008 Posts: 123
Hi, I'm still having problems with the Antares connection.

It wasn't as I previously thought a cable problem, but appears to be related to my PC. I installed the drivers via z4t on my work laptop along with Antares (sshh, don't tell them, I'll get my knuckles rapped) and it appears to work fine on both Toppies.

I thought I'd fixed on my own PC (also Win7), by uninstalling drivers and reinstalling but when I tried to copy from the 2nd toppy (both 5800) I keep getting failed connections.

Running z4t (after uninstalling drivers) I only get the first warning (yes, it is safe to run) and it does nothing, if I run it again I get a msg that zedag(?) is already running.

If I try install the driver manually if the Toppy is not connected there is no device to install against, and as soon as I connect it, it shows the driver installing - not sure where from, and installs correctly.

I manage to transfer quite an amount of data (10s or 100s of Mb) before it drops the connection and removing the USB and replacing usually finds the device again (for a while).

I can't think of a difference between the PCs aside my own PC once had Topfield Tools on it (as before, that doesn't work now).

Any suggestions please?

fhjones
Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Feb 2009 Posts: 165
alan_m wrote:
A win7 power plan that shuts down the USB when the computer wants to go into sleep mode????

My Windows 7 computer always loses contact with the Toppy after a while when I try to backup recordings using Antares. There is a setting in the "Change Advance Power Settings" of the PC called "USB selective suspend setting". It can be either enabled or disabled. Default setting is "enabled". A bit of Google research says that that it should be left enabled, because USB ports stay powered when thay are in use.

Any thoughts?

?
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4384
@fhjones
I'm still on XP but I've done some googling!

On XP; I have turned off power saving on the USB hubs and this seems to work for me. Having said that, I do get occasional drop outs when the toppy loses connection and then immediately reconnects (well the computer "bings"). These are typically when the USB interface is inactive i.e. copying not in progress.
I am using a 5m USB cable extender plus anther 3m USB cable so this may be part of the problem.

The description about "USB selective suspend setting" implies that the USB device sends a message to the PC when it is idle. I doubt that the toppy is doing this as it is ten years old and probably predates this protocol.
It is conceivable that the WinUSB driver is manufacturing this message instead of the hardware but, this is extremely unlikely as it should know that transfers are in progress.

What I suspect is happening is that the screensaver is kicking in after your "ten minutes" and that, when this happens, the pc turns off the power to the USB port and/or goes into sleep mode. The screensave kicks in when the mouse and keyboard haven't been used; it doesn't detect whether any programs are running - Antares in your case.

I also found this which says
Quote:
The usual way is to right click your desktop and select personalize,

Click on the screen saver link on the bottom right, and adjust the time it takes to activate,

Alternatively you can change your power settings with the link on this page,

Windows 7 hibernation sleep mode is a bit of a disappointment and should be disabled,

Sleep mode also does not recognize open programs like playing videos/ movies as active so the best way to deal with the issue is to disable sleep mode as well unless on battery power.

All of this can be done in power setting, change when to turn off the display listed on the top left of the power settings page, set it on never when plugged in.

Then look into this to manually activate the screen saver when wanted,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/28437-screen-saver-start-hotkey-mouse.html

So, I suggest you experiment with the following:-
1) Increase the time that it takes for the screensaver to kick in and see if the toppy stays working longer.
2) Just disable the power saving on the USB and see if it makes a difference; you can always restore it if it has no effect.

Note: you may have to alter "USB selective suspend setting", the USB port settings and disable the screensaver.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
fhjones
Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Geoff Bacon wrote:

1) Increase the time that it takes for the screensaver to kick in and see if the toppy stays working longer.
2) Just disable the power saving on the USB and see if it makes a difference; you can always restore it if it has no effect.

Note: you may have to alter "USB selective suspend setting", the USB port settings and disable the screensaver.

Geoff

Thank you for the very helpful reply Geoff.

I don't use a screensaver, but the PC display is set to turn off after 10 minutes. The computer stays connected to the Toppy for longer than that. Probably for about an hour. I am pretty sure that the issue is No. 2). I will experiment and let you know how I get on.

?
fhjones
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
fhjones wrote:
Geoff Bacon wrote:

Geoff

I am pretty sure that the issue is No. 2). I will experiment and let you know how I get on.

Success! I transferred some .rec files from the Toppy last night. Before I started I disabled the "USB Selective Suspend" setting in the Power Settings of the Control Panel of the PC. The transfer took over two hours and communication with the Toppy was not lost.

Thank you for your help and advice Geoff.

?
Chas10
Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Toppy has failed and is not recoverable and I am trying to recover some files from its hard disc. I have removed the disc from the toppy and have a gizmo to connect it to the Windows 7 PC via the USB port. Antares tells me it cannot see the disc on the USB port. Have downloaded z4t.exe but nothing seems to help. Any help would be appreciated. Chas.
ccs
Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2582
You will only be able to see the disc when connected directly to a pc using topfhdrw.

ccsx
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
The format used on a Toppy hard drive isn't something windows will understand. You need TopfHDRW/Doctor.

http://www.topfield.cc/files/Firebird/TopfHDRW_Setup.zip

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
Bizman
Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2010 Posts: 1707
Chas10 wrote:
Toppy has failed .....
Can we assume that your Toppy dates from your forum joining date and that the capacitors in the PSU have never been replaced? If so you risk corrupting the disk again when it is put back in the Toppy along with further damage. See Toppy Repairs..

Other TAPs : FsCheck, Channel Organiser. PSU Caps 7/2/2011 Tx: Mendip. TV: Samsung (32"), NSLU2, STB: Labgear FV300. PC Acer Aspire One with Win7 Starter
Richard Curtis
Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 28 Jul 2005 Posts: 71
I have found that Antares 1.1 works well with my Win7 64bit Dell laptop. I'm achieving about 2.1MB/s in turbo mode - is that typical? I have a 5m passive USB connection.

TAPs: EPGnavigator v5.1c; DescriptionExtender 2.23; QuickJump 1.55; Power Manager v1.1; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 2/11/15

Sutton Coldfield Tx
alan_m
Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3492
Richard Curtis wrote:
I have found that Antares 1.1 works well with my Win7 64bit Dell laptop. I'm achieving about 2.1MB/s in turbo mode - is that typical? I have a 5m passive USB connection.

The Toppy is slow over USB. You can get a slightly faster download by installing the USB accelerator patches.

http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109108#109108

http://www.toppy.org.uk/~r2-d2/patches.html#U

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:57 pm Reply with quote
just installed in in Win10 no problems ... nice work top man

Bogget