Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Satellite receivers, cable boxes and PVRs  ~  TAP for EPG on topfield site?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
mfctyro
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 25 Apr 2010 Posts: 4 Location: Staffordshire Moorlands
I've come across this on the Topfield-Europe site. It appears to be a TAP for a 7-day Freesat EPG, which is what I've been looking for.

http://www.topfield-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?s=a6808957e19799103aefb5e1925289d0&p=670872#post670872

I'm not in a position to try this out right now so I can't make any comment, but I'd be fascinated to hear from anybody who's tried it.

Another Dave
kermit
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
Reads like it is a satellite version of EPG_Uploader.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
R2-D2
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:02 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
Except the Freesat EPG data is protected (compressed and/or encrypted), so it's not a trivial task. I think we were all expecting that it would be decoded at some point, so it's good to see that our faith was justified. Smile

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
As far as I can see from the description, what this does is create a TGD file from the Freesat stream (which is compressed using a Huffman tree; the MythTV people have worked out the necessary dictionary to uncompress it).

You then take that TGD file and feed it into the Toppy's EPG memory using EPG Uploader.

A neat solution, really. And since the data will then be in the SI memory on the Toppy, you can then use tools like UKAS to do your automatic searches.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
So does that mean that you can now get a Toppy Freesat SD or HD box with full EPG and tap functionality? (Untill freesat modify their encoding)
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
Well, I don't think there are any HD satellite boxes that support TAPs, though I could be wrong.

Freesat are unlikely to alter the encoding - it would most likely need a firmware update in all the boxes out there, which would be problematic, to say the least.

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Jun 2007 Posts: 1543
The Turbosat site seems to suggest that the 2100 supports Taps, but the price is still OTT.

DX
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
jumbo wrote:
does that mean that you can now get a Toppy Freesat SD or HD box with full EPG ... functionality?

I don't believe this will offer "full EPG" functionality as it stands. It won't handle the Accurate Recording aspects. I'm not sure whether it handles the series link functionality either, although it might include the CRIDs somehow (e.g. append as text).
jumbo
Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
DX wrote:
I don't believe this will offer "full EPG" functionality as it stands. It won't handle the Accurate Recording aspects. I'm not sure whether it handles the series link functionality either, although it might include the CRIDs somehow (e.g. append as text).
Well I have a TechniSat Freesat box that does not provide series link, accurate recording (i.e. when programmes start late it is simply tough luck!) or a full EPG! It gaps galore most of the time.
kermit
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
nwhitfield wrote:
As far as I can see from the description, what this does is create a TGD file from the Freesat stream (which is compressed using a Huffman tree; the MythTV people have worked out the necessary dictionary to uncompress it).

The FreeSat to TGD Converter TAP is now on TAPWorld.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
mfctyro
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
The source code for the TAP is here:

http://freesattotgd.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/freesattotgd/3FF/fss.c?view=markup&pathrev=16

Another Dave
R2-D2
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
From a quick glance at the source code it seems that the data is not compressed or encrypted, so it may just be the PIDs that are odd (and if that's true then I wonder if it'd just need a simple patch...).

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
You're better than me at reading sourcecode, but I see there is a huffman.c and huffman.h file in there too, which provide the decoding functions - freesat_huffman_decode and so on.

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You're better than me at reading sourcecode, but I see there is a huffman.c and huffman.h file in there too, which provide the decoding functions - freesat_huffman_decode and so on.

There are two calls to an external decoding function (freesat_huffman_decode) the source for which is here:

http://deadpenguin.org/svn/dp/trunk/src/freesat_epg_decode.c

I'm not sure why it's there and not on sourceforge.

It's quite brief and uncomplicated but figuring it out from scratch must have been quite long and complicated. Very Happy

Another Dave
mfctyro
Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
And the huffman decode tables are here:

http://www.deadpenguin.org/viewvc/dp/trunk/misc/?sortdir=down

At the beginning of this thread I said I wasn't in a position to try out this TAP - I meant I didn't have the time. However I seem to have found plenty of time Surprised

Another Dave