Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  'EPG support for Genre information' question

Page 1 of 1
andygrunt
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 401 Location: Bristol, UK
I notice the next Firmware update is due to have 'EPG support for Genre information'.

Never having had a PVR, Tivo or Sky before, I'm curious how this might work. Would a list of Genres be displayed (Comedy, Documentory, News etc), you choose one and it shows all current shows in that genre?

If not, how else might it work?
nwhitfield
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9579
Damn good question; it could be done in lots of different ways, I suppose... we shall have to wait and see how they give it to us, but I'm happy to put forward suggestions in the meantime.

Nigel.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Aug 2005 Posts: 401 Location: Bristol, UK
A description of how a current one works would be useful for me as I've never tried one before.

I have to say I can't imagine using something like this much but then again, I've never used one before - maybe it would become indispensable once I tried it.

By the way, the phrase 'EPG support for Genre information' is a bit ambiguous - will the epg have that functionality after the update (i.e. allow the user to use it) or will it just allow TAPs to use it and we have to wait for someone to take advantage of it?
DX
Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 2695
The minimum level of support I can think of would be to show the genre on the program info, so you'd see something like "The Simpsons [ Entertainment]" followed by the program description.

More advanced would be something like the Humax system, where you can say Find "Movies" and get a list of all the films.

You could obviously combine the genre into some sort of search facility along with things like keyword, channels, and time. It depends how far Topfield (or a Tap writer) want to take it).
DB1
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
But , as ever, it depends on how well, or badly, the broadcasters implement the information.
rbools
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 448
DX wrote:

More advanced would be something like the Humax system, where you can say Find "Movies" and get a list of all the films.

This is the one feature I miss on the Toppy that my previous Humax 8000T had i.e. bring up a list of all films (or other genres) and set timers directly from it.