Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Site news and feedback  ~  Sometimes, I wonder why I bother ...

Page 1 of 1
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
Like this morning.

I know sometimes it takes us a while to activate new accounts, which are held for approval if our database cannot determine them to the in the EU. A polite email usually resolves that.

An email after 24 hours, complaining, and saying
Quote:
Your attitude of banning suspected spammers before they have ever registered is clearly unfair and can be likend to killing all babies because some may end up as murderers, in short it is unfair and totally over the top.

does not. It helps me start the day in a really crap mood, wondering why I bother doing things for people on the internet.

I know the registration system can be tedious for some folk; but the vast majority of registrations are completely automatic, and the system we operate here means that, compared to many other forums, this one is remarkably free from spam.

But perhaps we're wasting all those efforts, and you'd rather have a spam filled forum than have to wait a couple of days to post?

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3449
There are over 10,000 members who very much appreciate this forum and the way it is run. Don't let some idiot spoil your day.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
We're also seeing a big rise in attempted membership from the Philippines, Russia and to some extent the USA. I'm removing at least 1 to 2 new 'members' per day at present. Whereas these volumes used to be weekly rather than daily.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
jumbo
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
The quoted moan itself justifies the ban! Who wants a moron like that on any forum? We've had few here in the past who have, luckily, promptly left Laughing

I recently declined (banned) a seller from bidding for an item I was selling because he had no buying or selling activity on his account (although he had 100% feedback) for over two years. When he asked why and I told him and suggested an alternative "deposit" that would "reassure" me as to his intentions he responded with immense abuse Evil or Very Mad Common sense and gut feel are more often right than wrong.
juwlz
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:06 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Count me in for moral support on that one! If people can't be civil when they're asking for help just signing up, it seems unlikely that they're the sort of people we want on these forums anyway.

Coincidentally, I received a private message today allegedly from a "moderator" (I happen to know the only moderator - and forwarded the message on to him) on another low-traffic forum (with which I have had no interaction in months) informing me that my computer was infected with a virus and that I could fix it by downloading from their link. That's not the sort of user we want on these forums either.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
nwhitfield
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
I thought the murdering babies bit was a particularly charming touch; even as we speak, militant pro-lifers are probably adding me to their death lists, just for trying to keep the forum free of spam.

I know the IP to country database needs a refresh - which is a long and tedious process, sadly - but making demands in such an ill-tempered manner after 24 hours does rather suggest a lack of understanding that people may actually have to earn a living to provide things like this free on the internet.

Perhaps I'll have to suggest a feature about the downside of the "everything on the net is free" concept to one of my editors, and regale readers with further tales of the ungrateful, ill-mannered and just plain stupid folk that I've encountered over the years.

I was reflecting with a friend a couple of weeks ago that this year will actually be the 20th anniversary of the first online community I created, an email discussion and support list for gay folk in the UK, called uk-motss - 27th June, a quick rummage through the hard drive tells me.

Frankly, it's a wonder I've not gone completely mad... there have been a lot of weirdos in 20 years!

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Dec 2006 Posts: 12148
It's obviously a rather inept individual. A more talented nutter would have been patient and polite and got themselves registered. Then they'd carefully choose their moment to sneak in slagging offs of the TF5810. Smile

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jan 2008 Posts: 433
Quote:
...banning suspected spammers before they have ever registered is clearly unfair and can be likend to killing all babies...

ROTFLMAO! What an absolute prize plonker. I just spat coffee all over my computer!

Thanks for sharing that Nigel, you've just made my day! Laughing Laughing Shocked Rolling Eyes

cookie365
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 223
You mean we're not supposed to go round killing babies?

Err, is there a number I can call about this ...?

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
nwhitfield wrote:
Perhaps I'll have to suggest a feature about the downside of the "everything on the net is free" concept to one of my editors, and regale readers with further tales of the ungrateful, ill-mannered and just plain stupid folk that I've encountered over the years.

I'm sure that would be a very humorous read.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
juwlz
Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
nwhitfield wrote:
I know sometimes it takes us a while to activate new accounts, which are held for approval if our database cannot determine them to the in the EU. A polite email usually resolves that.

I know the registration system can be tedious for some folk; but the vast majority of registrations are completely automatic, and the system we operate here means that, compared to many other forums, this one is remarkably free from spam.
I think the spam outbreak this morning vindicates your cautious approach ... and even then some "undesirables" get through.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
SimonB
Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 13 Jul 2006 Posts: 137 Location: Swansea: Wenvoe (Cardiff) and Mendip (England) transmitters
Having run an open and active forums for many many years I can truly sympathise. Idiots would arrive in their droves, and, incredibly, we'd suffer coordinated attacks from whacky net-based groups whose primary aim was to disrupt and flood forums with crap. We survived all that for many years but the rubbish never stopped. However, even though I decided to call it a day and close the forums I don't suggest you do the same. My group went 'underground' and we stayed that way for many years before shutting up shop for good in January.

I'd say though, never take it personally, treat it like a drive by insult: when someone shouts an obscenity at you (maybe just at me lol) from a car window. You can't chase after every bugger and you wouldn't want to. Just have to be very thick skinned and let things go.

When I first purchased my Topfield 5800 PVR I was (and still am) very glad to find this site and the helpful support it offered. It continues to offer great help and advice to Topfield owners, and you should be very pleased with yourself. If however this has become a noose around your neck then you just have to let it go.Tthings change, whether we like it or not, and you are entitled to a life after all Wink

All the best,

Simon