Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  OZ Toppies  ~  Power Supply Repair 5x00 Series.

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
kermit
Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
corbijn wrote:
Does anybody have a PDF of the original site or perhaps a copy of the images?

A wiki has been setup that pulls all the information together. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Topfield_5800/PSU_Repair

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
thetravelbug
Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I wonder if someone can help me with a issue I have with my toppy 5800. I have replaced the 5 key capacitors in the power supply as the remote was starting not to function. The supply rails affected by these capacitors seem ok. But the remote and front keys will occasionally still not function. The green led on the front panel doesn't acknowledge the key press when the problem is occuring.

I have tried another remote, no difference.
I have also removed all the other remotes from the room to make sure it wasn't a problem caused by jamming.
I have resoldered all the joints on the back of the display board as some seemed a bit dry.
All to no avail:cry:

Does anyone have the circuit diagram of the front panel?

Can anyone suggest any other things to try? Is it worth replacing the capacitors on the higher voltage lines.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3523
thetravelbug wrote:
Hi,
I wonder if someone can help me with a issue I have with my toppy 5800. I have replaced the 5 key capacitors in the power supply as the remote was starting not to function.

What are the voltages?
The 6th capacitor (C25) in the 3.3v rail is just as likely to fail as any of the others. These days the recommendation is to replace up to 15 capacitors. The 3.3v rail only neds to be 0.2v low for the Toppy to start misbehaving.

The remote can be checked with any digital/phone camera.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=204744#204744

The reason for a remote not working too well on a toppy box I now have
http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/ir_rx/

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
thetravelbug wrote:
I have replaced the 5 key capacitors in the power supply...

The minimum replacement is 6 'key' capacitors (all the 1000uF 16V ones). I recommend that you also replace C26 and C27 (470uF 10V), C9 (47uF 50V) and maybe a few others (C13, C15, C16, C20).

Depending how badly the capacitors had failed, it is possible that the regulator U20 on the mainboard may also have failed. As this regulator feeds the main processor, this can cause very erratic behaviour as the voltage fluctuates.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
thetravelbug
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Alan_m. Checked the remote with a digital camera. Seems to be working fine.

Thanks Andyfras. Will replace the others. As I have a number of the 1000uF 16V, would it be ok to substitute them for the 470uF 10v?

Checked U20, not sure of pinout though. Seems to have 3.33v in and 1.51v out. Do you have a motherboard schematic?

Voltages on the PSU connector as follows:

15.42v
3.29v
5.05v
7.61v
16.92v
24.74v
30.89v
12.39v
5.05v

Thanks!!

Simon

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
The voltages are fine.

You can use the 1000uF 16V capacitors for C20, C26 & C27 (and whichever of the '6' that you missed out first time).

U20 has 2 legs and a wide tab at the top. The tab should measure a steady 1.5V.

To get back to your original problem, does your Toppy respond OK to front panel switches? If not, there have been a few reports of poor soldering on the Front Panel circuit board. This would affect the remote and front panel commands.

thetravelbug
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Hi Andy.

Thanks.

Have replaced those capacitors but issue is still there. U20 voltages looks fine.

It doesn't respond to front panel switches either. I've tried resoldering all the joints on the front panel as some did look a bit dry to no avail. When I move the cabling between the motherboard and the front panel it does briefly start working. Guess it could be something to do with the connectors. Will take the front panel out of the case and check connectors etc.

Thanks and regards

Simon

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I seem to remember that the front panel problem is due to poor soldering on the plated-through holes. Search the forum for further information on this.

chunkywizard
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 13 May 2005 Posts: 9319 Location: Sindlesham, Berkshire Tx: Hannington
MikeyP posted this info, so search on a post from him and that'll narrow it down.

HTH

CW

thetravelbug
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys. I looked up the issue and found that the IR receiver should have 4.9v, 0v and 4.6v on the pins.
I get 0.4v, 0v, 4.6v so I guess either the ir receiver or driver ic is dead? Have tried resoldering the pins top and bottom to no avail.

The front panel buttoms are intermittent too.

Cheers

Simon

Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Quite noisy power supply, now i don't wonder anymore why 12V rail blows up so quickly. http://www.imagepark.biz/fi/naytakuva.php?file=opmdmZmVnKSRoZyby9fM
That picture is taken when HDD is not spinning, when spinning it gets 10x worse. Noise figure is almost 400mV p-p and several megahertz scale, that undoubtly causes some interference.
MikB
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:25 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 23 Sep 2006 Posts: 289 Location: West Midlands
I can't see the referenced picture, in Finnish it says "You are not logged in, so the page can not be displayed." Maybe privacy settings too tight?

TF5800, IA On, TS On, F/W: 5.13.65T 14/4/2009 -AbCkEeEfEpHeKtRaRhRsSdStSyTeTfTpTsVr+Pf
TAPs: DescriptionExtender 2.1; MeiSearch 1.30; EPG Clean V1.01 Dev Version; EPGnavigator v5.1c; MyInfo B5.6;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 17/1/15
inglewoodpete
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote
My Topfield PVRt4400 (c2006) started to get a bit cranky last year so I replaced all of the electolytic capacitors that I could find on the power supply board. (The board looks identical to the one in the 5500.) One or two electrolytics were hard to match and so I had to use higher voltage models and lay them over and extend the leads a bit. The maintenance on the PS board paid off - it has behaved better than me ever since!

I used low ESR 105C electrolytics (dark grey/black sleeves) from www.altronics.com.au.