Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  OZ Toppies  ~  Power Supply Repair 5x00 Series.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
corbijn
Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:42 am Reply with quote
Hi all,

I was just about to print this out to try and run the fix on my machine, unfortunately the images are gone?

Does anyone have a PDF or anything of the article with images?

Tks
kermit
Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
The images are still there in this threads initial post, or you can go direct to the original source; link is at the top of original post.

TF5000PVRt 500GB March '09 f/w
pearce_jj
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Feb 2010 Posts: 25
What concerns me is that mine, like the one pitctured, has the AC input connected with the neutral side fused, which probably explains why people are getting shocks off the heatsink.

This is really dangerous IMO - will be seeking a second opinion.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 04 Oct 2009 Posts: 32 Location: SW Sydney, Australia
Shocks from the heatsink are due to circuit design. It is not uncommon to find this in Switch Mode Power Supplies.

As for the fuse on the Neutral side, I haven't ripped the lid of lately to look... but you are quite right when you say it is VERY DANGEROUS.

Noone should attempt repairs at this level unless they can follow the basic instructions given here with confidence - if anyone feels uncomfortable with the risks, by all means they should refer to a qualified repair person.
snowyjoey
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for this guide. I have followed it and changed the 6 caps in my 5800. I measured the voltages with my old analogue multi-meter and whilst not perfect, were a lot better than before.

However now my toppy wont even start up, although it did before. The HDD wont spin up and although the toppy responds to the remote on/standby, only an intermittent flickering is seen on the screen.

Any ideas, anyone?

I probably need professional help - where should I go?

Thanks
~Joe
kermit
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Jun 2005 Posts: 972 Location: Brisbane, Australia
Disconnect the drive and see if it functions as an STB. If it does then the drive is dead. If it doesn't then the power supply or other components that rely on it are most likely dead.

snowyjoey
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that, Simon.

I tried removing the drive, but the unit still does not function. It does switch on and off via the remote, so it is not entirely dead, and the voltages look approximately correct, so I'm hoping there is some life in there somewhere !

Any other thoughts ?

Thanks
~Joe
kermit
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
snowyjoey wrote:
I tried removing the drive, but the unit still does not function. It does switch on and off via the remote, so it is not entirely dead, and the voltages look approximately correct, so I'm hoping there is some life in there somewhere !

With the drive removed and it turned on can you get to the menu?

snowyjoey
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:11 am Reply with quote
Hi Simon,

No - nothing appears on the screen at all.

The LEDs on the front panel change - from time, to "C345" to "run" sometimes even "LOAD" but never anything on the TV. It responds to the remote on/standby, but thats it really.

The presence of the drive has no effect on this.

Sad

~Joe
andyfras
Posted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
Joe,

Whereabouts in Surrey are you? If you can bring the box to me in Fleet, Hampshire, I'll check it for you.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
snowyjoey
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Hi Andy,

Thanks for this - that would be great. I'm near Guildford so not far away. Do you have kit etc to check these things out?

Thanks
~Joe
andyfras
Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3468
PM sent to snowyjoey

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
snowyjoey
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Hi

An update: I have now got a working Toppy again.

A very kind local forum member with an electronics background checked the work I had done on the PSU and confirmed it was OK, and also did some other diagnostics, and confirmed that the problem was a dead motherboard as the processor was not functioning properly. I contacted Turbosat for a replacement motherboard, and they offered to attempt to repair mine instead. I sent them my board and they did in fact repair it by replacing a few components (I think to repair the voltage regulation for the processor), and sent it back.

I have now replaced it in the machine and it all fires up fine.

Fantastic to have such help from people in this community and great to come into contact with such enthusiastic and competent people at Turbosat.

I am now copying back all my recordings, and keeping my fingers crossed for trouble-free future viewing!

Thanks, all!

~Joe Very Happy
corbijn
Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:21 am Reply with quote
After a Hiatus I am trying to get the Toppy fixed, however the link to the original article seems to fail and therefore the images aren't there ....

Does anybody have a PDF of the original site or perhaps a copy of the images?
garyvx
Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Sep 2009 Posts: 22 Location: Melbourne Australia
Try this one http://members.optusnet.com.au/toppytools/pwrcircuit.html