Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Firmwares, enhancements and upgrades  ~  I am an idiot - blown power board.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
trentend
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 29
The hard drive in my unit developed a fault, and the toppy was cycling on reboot. As luck would have it I had an identical drive spare, so I installed that and took the opportunity to get everything up to date (in my case the most up to date Mystuff and firmware). All was good, apart from loud vibration from the hard drive. In a rush, whilst unwell and under pressure, I stupidly took the cover off and tightened the hard drive mounting cage screws without powering down the unit.

While tightening the screw at the rear of the hard drive molex power connector, I accidentally shorted between the heat sink on the power board (?), nearest the molex connector, to the case. Cue pop and dead toppy.

Is there any avenue for repair or replacement of the power board, or will this likely have done wider damage?

Clearly this was stupid - unplug your toppy before waving screwdrivers around the inside.......
jumbo
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2005 Posts: 4731
If you are capable and safe then there are a number of cheap and DIY PSU parts you can try replacing. These parts are the front-line components which (mostly) get zapped first. They are the closest to the parts used in the Toppy PSU in both looks and of course specification:
Get it all from Farnell with free P&P and first class service (as experienced by several forum members including I). Get at least 10 fuses (minimum order). If I were you I'd replace ALL three at the grand total cost of 3.75. This assumes that you have a soldering iron and solder. Be careful not to damage/overheat anything when soldering. Read the PSU threads for more info. If these parts don't bring the Toppy back to life then you might as well get a new PSU from Turbosat (approx 45).
trentend
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Very much appreciated. I'll take a look at the components that you suggest. Is there any testing that I can do to more likely determine the damage I've caused. Also, do you know what the compnent is on the heat sink I mentioned? I was a little surprised that the heat sink was at a high potential....it obviously was though - high potential difference, resistance free path to earth....pop and die....

If I had any level of confidence that it would render the unit operable, I'd just order a new power board from turbosat. My big concern is that it's not just the power board that it's taken down.

....still....might just be a fuse....where is that multimeter....
jumbo
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
See this for detail. It is highly likely that it is in fact one of the above components and not the voltage regulator (with the heatsink). The PSU has several defence mechanisms for protecting itself (and its output) so my money is on one (or more) of the above parts. You are not the first one getting zapped Wink

PS It is possible to check which one of the parts is dead but, with all due respect, since you are asking the question it'd be safer to simply change those parts. Also, if your Toppy is 2+ years old then, you might want to replace all 6 of the 1000uF capacitors too for peace of mind.

Check the fuse in the Toppy plug too although I suspect, compared to the electronics, that's be the last to go .
trentend
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank you again for all of that. Very useful.

Both the fuses (internal appliance and plug) had both blown. I'm off to Maplins, as they are open, and presumably can source me equivalent parts. I don't suppose you would be able to recommend Maplin part numbers? I've got a bit of time tonight, and you know how it is.....

I shouldn't be totally clueless about electronics (I have two degrees with electronics in the title), but essentially I am. I do have decent general technical skills though...apart from the rampant stupidity that got me to this point, obviously....
Brava_210
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 06 Apr 2005 Posts: 328 Location: Bristol
I did exactly the same to my 5800, fiddling with the hard drive with the power connected - turned out to be the bridge rectifier as Jumbo has said, In a rush I bought mine from Maplin cost about 2. I would have prefered to fit a better quality unit but seems fine.

Been working ok for 6 months

jumbo
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
trentend wrote:
Thank you again for all of that. Very useful.

Both the fuses (internal appliance and plug) had both blown. I'm off to Maplins, as they are open, and presumably can source me equivalent parts.
Apart from the internal fuse Maplins do not have equivalents that you should permanently use. As I said Farnell deliver in 24 hours and you don't need to have an account. I can't emphasize enough the need to get the right quality parts. RS also have trade counters in various locations of the country and are able to provide some of the parts but my knowledge there is limited. Others could perhaps advise. Internal fuse at Maplins is GL62S.
trentend
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I just got the fuse from Maplins (not happy with the other items) although I left before your suggestion and bought the quick blow rather than the time delay. Is this unsatisfactory? It certainly blew apart when I tried connecting up the board. I'll see if RS can provide suitable parts - I have an RS account and they're only fifteen minutes from me. Failing that, I'll have to be patient and order from Farnel......and maybe turbosat.

You've have both saved me an awful lot of time by getting to the pertinent detail of my problem. I appreciate you spending your time and effort to do so.Thank you very much, both of you, for your assistance. It's exceptionally helpful.
bdb
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2005 Posts: 499
You can see you are not alone- I can vouch for the mains voltage on that heatsink, but luckily for my toppy, I found out with my finger rather than a screwdriver.

bdb
trentend
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:05 pm Reply with quote
bdb wrote:
You can see you are not alone- I can vouch for the mains voltage on that heatsink, but luckily for my toppy, I found out with my finger rather than a screwdriver.

bdb

Ouch. Still, you're not dead, but my toppy is. You win.
trentend
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Just some feedback on how this worked out for me.

Replacing the Bridge Rectifier and the varistor (?), which I completed just now, has rendered my Toppy operational. Total success! Hurrah! In the end I ordered the recommended parts from Farnell (arrived this morning).

I also added some vibration dampening washers (electrical earth contact still provided by the drive housing screws and fixings) to take out some of the noise from the hard drive. It definitely seems to help, and the noise is now at an acceptable level.

Thank you to all who offered support and assistance, with a special mention to jumbo, without whom I would have struggled both to find the necessary information and had the confidence to attempt a resolution.

My only problem is that I've now got two toppy's. I'd better go and find how to operate them side by side without the remote triggering operations on both together. I seem to remember this was possible with a tap, but I've got to get it working with MyStuff (my user interface of choice)...........still, a better problem to have.

Thank you all, it's refreshing to have access to such a generous and knowledgable community. In return I'll try to contribute what I can.
Fred F.
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 03 Sep 2009 Posts: 339 Location: U.K. [Stockland Hill / Mendip]
trentend wrote:
Just some feedback on how this worked out for me..

Thanks for that, as a novice around here I think the feedback a vital adjunct to the the advice.

Glad it has worked out well for you.

TF5800t, TS On, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009

TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.5; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MyInfo B5.6;

Sig generated by MyInfo on 3/3/14
glenmcfar
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Dec 2006 Posts: 4519 Location: Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Fred F. wrote:
Thanks for that, as a novice around here I think the feedback a vital adjunct to the the advice.

Yep, there's nothing worse that 'Oh, it's OK guys - I fixed it'.

Glen.

jumbo
Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Glad it worked and that, more importantly, you're still alive and able to enjoy your two Toppys Razz
Nigel, who runs the site for free, has enabled many (I included) to benefit from others' help and advice and he could always do with loose change to further help fund the running of the forum so please feel free to throw some pennies his way.
trentend
Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
A modest donation via paypal has duly been made. Thanks again to all concerned.