Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Convert .rec files to DVD guide.

Page 3 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
dedics
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Aug 2005 Posts: 310
oh dear more expense!

sorry for the dumb question and thanks for the info.

dedics
chrispayze
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Posts: 217 Location: Bristol, UK
No more expense, it's a free upgrade if you have a full copy of Nero 6. Check their website, or the StartSmart application for updates to all the Nero components.

Chris

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
great, thanks! Very Happy
ridgeowl
Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 May 2005 Posts: 62
I have downloaded ProjectX_0.90_pre. Version 0.82 seems to be no longer available on the doom site. When I double click on projectx.jar I get the message "Cannot find main class" and projectx fails to run. What am I doing wrong? After unzipping I have a ProjectX folder containing 5 files, Copying, projectx.desktop, ProjectX.jar and a couple of readme files. There are 2 subfolders, htmls and lib. Lib contains commons-net-1.3.0.jar, idctref.dll, idctsse.dll, jakarta-oro-2.0.8.jar. license.txt, notice.txt and readme.txt. Htmls contains further subfolders, de and images, containing html files and image files. I am running JRE j2re-1_4_2_01, can't get the later jre-1_5_0_04 to install (complains about locked folder during install). Looking on the internet, other people seem to have had problems installing jre-1_5_0_04.
ridgeowl
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 May 2005 Posts: 62
Problem solved.
I found that my ETrust Virus program was stopping Java1.5.0_04-B05 from installing. I had stopped the on access scanner but I also had to kill off the ETrust Inort.exe process. This then unlocked the offending folder and allowed the Java installation to complete O.K.
Once I had installed the latest Java, ProjectX ran O.K.
Next Question: Should I be able to run the M2P file in Media Player? When I try and run it Media Player complains that it cannot load the appropriate codec. Tried renaming M2P to MPG.
I have yet to get hold of Nero Express to transfer the M2P file to DVD.
malc
Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
Yes M2P should play if you can play normal mpeg files, but you need to have a mpeg2 codec and perhaps you only have mpeg1 and/or mpeg4. Gspot is a good program for checking what codec you need. Nero Showtime should play M2P too.
vroomfondle
Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:03 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
Has any else seen this problem? I've previously sucessfully made several DVDs using the methods documented here.
However, this doesn't seem to work reliably for the BBC3 repeats of Dr Who. Half of them have lip-sync problems after say 30mins of running time. The audio is delayed by maybe 0.5-1sec. It doesn't matter which DVD create software I use. The same thing happens if I make divx from them.
Of course the .rec and the mpeg2 from ProjectX don't exhibit the problem. I've also tried de-muxing and re-muxing but that had no effect.

Grunta
Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 24 Oct 2005 Posts: 88 Location: Kiwi living in Melbourne Oz
try

projectx

womble - for editting

tmpgenc - for dvd structure [and editting if you like instead of womble]

nero recode
richardd
Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I echo peoples experience with Nero NVE3 - sometimes it doesn't recode the stream and is quite fast - sometimes it just decides to do its own thing and recode anyway - maybe it just likes to be open all night. The good thing about Nero is that, so far, I haven't had a coaster. This is not my experience with other burners. It would be nice, however to stop it recoding. The other thing I've noticed is that it seems to like to double the size of the .rec/.mpg files when recoding. Its probably something obvious I'm missing but haven't had time to sort this out yet.

I had been using VideoReDo to edit ripped files from my DVD recorder before getting the Toppy. I always needed to pass the stream through QuickSteamFix beforehand. With the .rec files I have found that they are generally better behaved but I had the odd file that wouldn't edit.
HydeTheDarkerSide
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:02 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 11 May 2005 Posts: 5956 Location: Hannington Transmitter : Sony KDL 40Z5800
I output VideoReDo files in VOB format. NVE doesn't recode those on my system.

MyStuff Links: http://www.toppy.org.uk/~mystuff/index.shtml
Sig generated by MyInfo on 11/10/13
malc
Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:12 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
Have you got smart encoding ticked in the options and everthing else to auto? If you have all of that then NVE will still recode, if it thinks it needs to. You don't say how you process your .rec file. If you have a codec installed that understands .rec file then you can drop them into NVE, however, NVE does understand they are mpeg2 files but rather plays them through the codec and recodes them.

The process I follow is

.rec -> ProjectX (remove other audios) -> .m2p
.m2p ->PVAStrumento ->.mpg
.mpg ->NVE

The reason for PVAS is that this seems to fix bugs that ProjectX lets through. Not all files need it but it is easier to do it for all. ProjectX and PVAS take about 5 min each to process a film. NVE takes 10-20 minutes to make the DVD depending on how clever the menu is (i.e. animated buttons or not) and how many cuts the film has. Of course cutting adverts out takes some time too.
chrispayze
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Posts: 217 Location: Bristol, UK
Ok, so I've found that NVE isn't that reliable with its Smart Encoding, sometime re-encoding for no reason. Hence, if I don't want menus, I like to use IFOEdit. however, making chapters files is a pain, cos you have to work out the frame numbers where you want chapters etc.

NOT A PROBLEM ANYMORE!!! I've written a small programme which takes your inputted film length (you input hrs, mins and secs) and the rough length of chapter you want, and it creates a chapters.txt file which you can use directly in IFOEdit.

If anyone wants a copy of this little util, drop me a PM. I'm out for the week, but I'll get back to you when I'm home.

If people find it useful, I might tidy it up a bit, it's very basic at the moment.

Cheers
Chris

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
May well have been mentioned elsewhere but as a relatively new Toppy user, I thought I'd share my trials and tribulations in the hope other newbies might not lose as much time as I did!

Basically, having copied a .rec file from the Toppy over to my PC and followed the excellent guide available at the start of this thread, we (my g/f and I) used the likes of CloneDVD, NeroVision Express etc to burn the final files to DVD.

Upon playback, picture was fine but there was no sound.

We spent all day trying to sort this out and about 10 DVDs trying to fathom out the problem.

In our AV setup, the DVD is setup to output the audio digitally to our Yamaha AV amp. Although it was set to "DVD auto" to automatically detect the best audio signal from the DVD itself, for some reason it was refusing to check the DVD analogue track.

Freeview does not broadcast in digital sound (as I understand it) and hence the original .rec file from the Toppy was not Dolby compatible although our AV amp applies Prologic to do the best it can.

All through the various stages and right down to the last part of burning to DVD, the audio track seems to be recorded in analogue.

Now, unbeknowns to me, there's a button on the front of the amp to select analogue input and all is then well. However, I didn't think or spot this until some DVDs and hours later!

BTW, playing the sound of the DVD via scart directly through the TV lead to no issues at all.

So if you're a newbie and burnt a DVD and wondered why there's no sound, maybe you need to select your AV amp to the analogue audio track.

F
richardd
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote
HydeTheDarkerSide wrote:
I output VideoReDo files in VOB format. NVE doesn't recode those on my system.

Hi Hyde

Fraid it still recodes sometimes on my system. Tried several variants even forcing NVE to various quality setting. Main problem arises from Ch4 & some ITV progs. Suspect it is associated with cutting out adverts from the stream.

Going to have another go with ProjectX etc. failing that with direct creation of DVD structure.

Richard
dedics
Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:59 pm Reply with quote
The channel 4 stuff and e4 stuff is (544 x576) which is not the right resolution for official dvd format(704 x576 or 720x576), so nero will always re-encode these if they are not compliant also the bit rates on e4 and channel 4 can be too low for nero to accept.

There are also problems with nero smart encoding if it only does parts of the file because you end up with the audio not in sync with the video.
It's best to turn off the smart encoding in nero and let it code the whole file to avoid audio sync problems, but that does mean your doing the same thing twice and it tacke a long time.

That's what I've been finding, anyway. I'm using Videoredoplus and nero Vision express 3.

Hope this helps
dedics