Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  Computer connections  ~  Convert .rec files to DVD guide.

Page 2 of 22
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 20, 21, 22  Next
AnEngineer
Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I have been experimenting with direct ProjectX to Mpeg Program Stream conversion (->m2p) and seemed to have solved the problem with multiple audio streams.

With some .rec files, ProjectX will convert to M2P when using default settings. For example, when recording from BBC2. However, when recording from Channel 4, there seems to be an extra audio stream that confuses it and the result is an MPEG-2 with no audio.

In these cases, the answer is:

1. open the .rec file (using Add from the File menu) and in the log window, note the PIDs for the video and audio streams. When there is more than one audio stream, it seems that the stream you want has a PID that is one higher (in hex) than the video stream. In the channel 4 example I used, the video steam was 0xB2C and the audio stream was 0xB2D.

2. open the Video Cut/Specials window from the Edit menu and add the required video and audio PIDs (e.g. 0xB2C and 0xB2D) to the PID list (to the right of the freeze frame.

3. Click on the apply and close button.

4. Back in the main window, select "to M2P" in the drop down list n the left hand side and click on the GO button. ProjectX should now generate an MPEG-2 program stream in the .m2p output file.

The resulting m2p file should now play back in WinDVD, Windows Media Player etc. with both video and audio in sync. You should also be able to burn it to DVD with DVD creation software that is typically bundled with a DVD burner.

I was using the 0.82.1.02 version of ProjectX compiled direct from source code using Java development kit version 5.0 (and run-time environment).

The Video Cut/Specials window also very good for triming the video and removing the ad breaks.

T.
kieronishere
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 23 Apr 2005 Posts: 41
I'm trying to find a way of doing this in as few steps as possible, and obviously as quickly and cheaply as possible as well. The problem is that Nero VE 3 reencodes so takes a long time. TMPGEnc has the advantage of not reencoding so is much faster but does not then automatically go on to burn the DVD, so requires an extra step in the process. I have just discovered that Ulead DVD Moviefactory 4 (which you can download a 28 day trial of from the Ulead website), will do the authoring and then burn to DVD in one step, without reencoding. It took only a few minutes to prepare the VOB files and get to the burning stage with a 3 GB film I tried last night. How long it takes to burn is then obviously dependant on your burner and what speed/quality media you're using (approx 15 mins with 8X DVD-R).

In terms of converting the .rec file to .m2p or .mpg, I have tried videoredo which was great but my trial version has run out. I don't want to have to pay for that as well as Moviefactory (which I think I'm going to buy anyway for transfering DV camera footage/authoring anyway). PVA Strumento seems to not always work even with relaxed TS settings ticked. I haven't tried projectx yet. Anyone with any success stories?
malc
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 08 May 2005 Posts: 1380
I now use ProjectX and Nero VE 3. PVAStrumento sometimes fails where ProjectX seems always to work. There are more details in this thread:

http://www.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6526
Stormin
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 01 Apr 2005 Posts: 155 Location: Newbury
kieronishere wrote:
The problem is that Nero VE 3 reencodes so takes a long time.

In the later versions there's a only recode when needed option which should make this work much faster, not had a chance to with it myself yet though.
malc
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
NVE3 is the latest and unfortunate even if you turn on this it still recodes .rec files. I suspect the header fools it. It only takes about 5 minutes on my PC to convert a .rec to .m2p so it's no big deal going through ProjectX first. Plus you can check the .m2p for correct audio channel before going through NVE3.
funkymikeb
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Jun 2005 Posts: 40
Quote:
2. open the Video Cut/Specials window from the Edit menu and add the required video and audio PIDs (e.g. 0xB2C and 0xB2D) to the PID list (to the right of the freeze frame.

How do I add the PIDs to the list. I can see then entry boxes but can't create a list?

I assume I enter the hex prefix 0x before the numbers.
funkymikeb
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 12 Jun 2005 Posts: 40
Idea Sorted it !!

It's a bit convoluted but if you click the I (for Inform about IDs) to the right of Go on the first screen then the list is populated in the VideoCut/Specials window. You then need to double-click the ones you don't want to delete them.

Simple ... sort of
malc
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Since this is a sticky thread I thought it might be worthwhile pointing out there is guide to making DVDs in the user guides section of this site.
AsqSteve
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:18 am Reply with quote
Hi

Has anybody seen this site http://www.dvbportal.de/projects/hdtvpump/index.html. The filter enables you to view the .rec file (had to rename file to .ts first) in windows media player.
I've one problem which I've not fully investigated yet - No sound (but it is a channel 4 recording), Looking at the site this should be solveable.

From there it is not much further to converting it to dvd format using any product which claims to convert any format viewable with Windows media.

Editing will have to come later.

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:23 am Reply with quote
Apologies just tried the link and it didn't work.
Try this instead http://www.dvbportal.de/projects/hdtvpump/

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 05 May 2005 Posts: 427 Location: London
Another way to make DVDs is to
open the .rec file with VideoRedo.
Trim adverts and other bits.
Save as a .mpg
Open Ulead DVD MovieFactory (or other Authoring sw) and import the .mpg.

Very easy and simple.
julian
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Sep 2005 Posts: 45 Location: Worcester Park
I have successfully used ProjectX and Nero Vision Express 3 to create DVDs from .rec files but I now have a recording which after ProjectX conversion shows up with a running time of 18 minutes instead of the true 48. Although the full 48 minutes plays back OK, it makes editing and writing the whole programe to DVD impossible.

More detail for those who haven't lost interest yet...

The recording was approximately 48 minutes which was correctly reported by the Toppy and it plays back fine on the toppy. It's just under 1Gb in size and the converted .m2p file is roughly the same. When I try to edit it or play it back in NVE3 or the Nero media player (showtime?) it reports its length as about 18 minutes. It will play the full 48 minutes ok, but gets very confused when you try and browse through it with the slider: You can scroll to the end which shows as 18 minutes but it actually puts you at the true end. Scrolling to the midway point gives a similar proprtionate effect. i.e. It reports 9 minutes but is actually 24 minutes into the programe.

The main problem is that when editing it in NVE, it gets the offsets out by a factor of roughly 18/48 so I can't trim the ends. I end up with roughly half (probably 18/48) of the programme on the DVD. I have a feeling it's something in the header that either misstates the running time or framerate or perhaps duff timestamp data inside the file but I have no idea how to fix it. I tried using the toppy's cut and copy facilities before transferring it off and this worked for a small copy (the first 10 minutes), but when I copy most of the file the converted file ends up with the same problem.

This last fact seems to point to timestamp data but I don't know much about the internal structure of an mpeg-2 file.

Ideas anybody?
vroomfondle
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 09 Jun 2005 Posts: 1338 Location: TX: Hannington
julian wrote:
I have successfully used ProjectX and Nero Vision Express 3 to create DVDs from .rec files but I now have a recording which after ProjectX conversion shows up with a running time of 18 minutes instead of the true 48. Although the full 48 minutes plays back OK, it makes editing and writing the whole programe to DVD impossible.

Ideas anybody?

De-mux with ProjectX then remux. Also try passing it through Videoredo "Quickstream fix"

dedics
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 07 Aug 2005 Posts: 310
HI, I've been trying to burn dvds using nerovision express 2, and there doesn't seem to be a do not re-encode option as indicated in the guide. Any ideas or help, it's taking ages!

dedics
chrispayze
Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 14 Jul 2005 Posts: 217 Location: Bristol, UK
Get NVE version 3! Has a 'Smart Encoding' option, which will only encode if necessary, and other things are set to Auto. Not totally reliable in this respect though, as I find it sometimes recodes anyway.

Chris