Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Freeview retune issues

Page 26 of 27
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 25, 26, 27  Next
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4225
You don't need a USB to Serial cable unless you know that the USB port on the Toppy is knackered. Even then, andyfras now has some kit that can fix the USB chip.

Did you try that Z4t link I gave you ?
When you connect up the toppy, does the computer beep? (if so, then you have a driver issue)

You can use Sirius (from the TopManager link) to update taps etc via a serial cable but this assumes that you have the required tap already on the toppy (which you won't have). The MyStuff installer doesn't support serial interface so even with the tap, you would have to install manually (as though you had a Mac computer).

I suggest you try the drivers again using a USB cable (for a printer). Tell us what you are seeing when you attempt the connection.

One other alternative is, if the capacitors haven't already been changed is to get the PSU checked out by andyfras; if you ask him nicely he will upgrade the firmware and taps for you. He can also fix the USB port if that proves necessary.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
juwlz
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:33 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
I'd be utterly gobsmacked if the installer worked over a serial connection, as
a) the serial connection will be horrendously slow, and
b) it almost certainly requires different software for the PC connection, which the installer won't attempt to use.

If I were you, I'd take the drives out of the two Toppies, put the one from the Toppy with the non-working USB port into the one with the working USB port, and use the installer to do the update as normal. Then put the drive back in the original Toppy. You'll need to rerun FWLoad (in /ProgramFiles/Utilities) to complete the installation of the patches.

Anything else is just doing things the hard way.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
KennyT
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Feb 2006 Posts: 244 Location: NW London
Geoff Bacon wrote:
You don't need a USB to Serial cable unless you know that the USB port on the Toppy is knackered. Even then, andyfras now has some kit that can fix the USB chip.

Did you try that Z4t link I gave you ?
When you connect up the toppy, does the computer beep? (if so, then you have a driver issue)

Geoff

Hi Geoff,
I tried z4t but nothing comes up in the "drop list".

When I connect the cable, it doesn't beep, just comes up with the "USB" icon in the status bar, which, if I just click on it, shows the "USB device not recognized" window.

I think I'll try Julwz's suggestion, as SWMBO wont stand for being without her beloved Toppy for the days that it would take to get Andy to repair it - so that;s very much a last resort!

K

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4225
While you have the disks swapped, remember to put the SerialInterface tap on it so that you could potentially connect via Sirius if you wanted to.

The easiest way of putting the SerialInterface tap on is to use the TopManager Tools| Install Taps option.

Having said that, unless you have had the capacitors replaced, they are due to fail (based on the the age of MyStuff 5.62) i.e. it might be a good idea to send it off to andyfras anyway

Cheers
Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
ccs
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2513
I've managed to do a firmware update using Topset via the Serial Port on windows 7 64bit, using a usb to serial adapter.
You can also copy files. Go to Tools in TopSet and configure the connection type you want to use.

ccsx
KennyT
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
I'd be utterly gobsmacked if the installer worked over a serial connection, as
a) the serial connection will be horrendously slow, and
b) it almost certainly requires different software for the PC connection, which the installer won't attempt to use.

If I were you, I'd take the drives out of the two Toppies, put the one from the Toppy with the non-working USB port into the one with the working USB port, and use the installer to do the update as normal. Then put the drive back in the original Toppy. You'll need to rerun FWLoad (in /ProgramFiles/Utilities) to complete the installation of the patches.

Anything else is just doing things the hard way.

Julie

OK, 90% there, thanks.

Dumb question time:

How do I run FWload, once I've put the disk back in the original Toppy? What key sequence on the remote gets me to the /program files folder?

K

edit: OK - found it Embarassed

K

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
KennyT wrote:
juwlz wrote:
Then put the drive back in the original Toppy. You'll need to rerun FWLoad (in /ProgramFiles/Utilities) to complete the installation of the patches.
Dumb question time:

How do I run FWload, once I've put the disk back in the original Toppy? What key sequence on the remote gets me to the /program files folder?
You may as well exit MyStuff, as you'll need to reboot at the end of the process anyway, so
    Press Info (or any key that will bring up a MyStuff display)
    Press Up (assuming you're at the top of the MyStuff menu, or navigate to option Z8 at the bottom of the menu any other way)
    Press OK

Now that MyStuff is no longer running
    Press Archive
    Assuming you're looking at recordings, press << to get to ProgramFiles (or keep pressing it until you do)
    Navigate to the Utilities folder
    Select FWLoad and press OK

Voila! Let FWLoad do its stuff and reboot to complete the installation.

Geoff's right though. SWMBO will be more ****ed off if the Toppy dies without warning when it's highly inconvenient than if you plan a time to send / take it to andyfras or MikeyP for some TLC. Especially if you manage to kill the hard drive and all the recordings on it.

If it's really going to be that traumatic, put her disk drive in your Toppy while hers is away Wink.

Ju

juwlz
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
KennyT wrote:
I think I'll try Julwz's suggestion, as SWMBO wont stand for being without her beloved Toppy for the days that it would take to get Andy to repair it - so that's very much a last resort!
Fleet's within striking distance of NW London, so if it's really that much of an issue, you could save a day each way by taking it to Andy and collecting it.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want to offer a "while-you-wait" service for USB repairs though - I gather they're a pretty fiddly job! But if you can agree on a day, it's just possible that he might be happy for you to deliver it in the morning, leave it with him for the day, and collect it in the evening. If so, you could have a day out somewhere local while he's working whatever magic is possible.

PM him and see what he says.

Julie

KennyT
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
That's OK, thanks for the ideas, the HDD swap idea only took 30 mins to implement so fitted nicely into a 2h "no recordings" session!

It's getting close to wanting to come up with a HD receiver anyway (for my "downstairs" large screen setup) so if there are any more problems, we'll be moving away from the Toppy, which will give us a "spare" for SWMBO.

Thanks again to everyone that responded with suggestions and help!

K

Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
If it does give up whatever you do don't throw it away. You can donate it to Andy who may be able to rejuvenate it and sell on to augment the Toppy forum's coffers. Wink

?
Karvindon
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 11 Apr 2009 Posts: 192
Hi Andy
I've just send you money by mustake, can you contact me please.
Thanks
Derek
[edit]Email addr removed by admin :wink:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website TF5810PVRt
juwlz
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Derek

Unless you particularly like spam, I suggest you edit your post and remove your email address. Send a PM to Andy instead.

Julie

bugbear
Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 28 Sep 2007 Posts: 227
I'm confused.

I've returned my Sony Bravia (recenet model HX853) with no difficulties, and picked up all expected channels (although I haven't deleted all the garbage ones yet).

I've tried retunes on the toppy this morning, FastScanGui, ChannelOrganiser, and a full "built in" auto scan.

And I still don't have Film4, or Viva, possiby others.

I'm guessing they're disabled/turned off in some option I can't find, or have forgotten about (retuning is infrequent enough that I tend to forget how to do it).

Could anyone with more knowledge, or a better memory advise?

Edit; courtesy of google, and some careful reading

http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=TM131958

it appears that my channels for part of something called "COM6/ArqB", which has moved from C50 to C39.

I don't know what to do with this information Sad Sad

BugBear

Bill Joy
TF5800, F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -Sy
TAPs: EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; MyInfo B5.6; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; MHEG On/Off A3; PruneEPG 1.0;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 28/5/16
gomezz
Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3984 Location: Buckingham
What MUXes does the Toppy try to tune after using FastScanGUI?

andyfras
Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3435
For the Tacolneston transmitter, try manually tuning RF C39. This mux moved yesterday, so FastScanGUI will be unaware of it.

If your aerial is quite old (from analogue era), it is probably a Group C/D which will have a poor response at C39, so you may need to upgrade to a Group E aerial (or wideband for future compatibility with Com7 & Com8).

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ