<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Freeview retune issues

Page 25 of 27
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
simplesimon
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 18 Mar 2007 Posts: 37 Location: Newbury
alan_m wrote:
simplesimon wrote:
I selected the appropriate Hannington entry in FastscanGUI and, as part of the auto-rescan, saw the HD channels (56,57,58 & 59) being found. However, when everything was back up and running, there was no sign of these channels in either the Toppy or MyStuff EPGs.

The Topfield, and probably your Sony TV, is incapable of decoding HD and therfore you wouldn't see anything on these channels.

Do you get all the SD channels you are expecting.

OK, the replies from Geoff and your good self re the Toppy make sense. I guess I assumed that it would display the HD channels as ordinary SD. However, on reflection, since the Toppy can't handle HD, I guess there's no reason why it should recognise those channels Embarassed

As far as the TV goes, it is a Bravia KDL-40V5500 and, as such, is defo HD capable. As Geoff suggested, maybe it's simply a case of scanning when the HD channels are actually broadcasting

andyfras
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 25 Jul 2005 Posts: 3449
simplesimon wrote:
As far as the TV goes, it is a Bravia KDL-40V5500 and, as such, is defo HD capable. As Geoff suggested, maybe it's simply a case of scanning when the HD channels are actually broadcasting

HD capable is not the same as having a Freeview HD tuner. It just means it can accept an HD source such as a Blu Ray player or HD STB.

The KDL-40V5500 does not have a Freeview HD tuner.

URC-7555 remote: TF5800 320GB 2.5", Recommended_5800.tfd + CfPePsScUUuWfZ
simplesimon
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
andyfras wrote:
simplesimon wrote:

HD capable is not the same as having a Freeview HD tuner. It just means it can accept an HD source such as a Blu Ray player or HD STB.

The KDL-40V5500 does not have a Freeview HD tuner.

Hi Andy

Oops, that was defo a misunderstanding when I bought it, then Crying or Very sad

So, even though Hannington is now broadcasting HD signals, my HD-ready TV can't pick them up via aerial input because the tuner isn't HD capable (even though the set is). Is that a fair summary of the situation?

OK, so if I replace my Toppy with a HD-capable PVR (e.g. Humax FOX T2), as well as recording HD, will that feed a HD signal which my set can use (I would assume Yes).

In the interim, if I get an an HD-STB, does that sit between the output from the Toppy tuners and the TV or do I need to split the input into the Toppy and take one feed through the STB into the TV and another through the Toppy into the TV?

Sorry for these questions but I thought I understood HD and it's now obvious that I don't!

andyfras
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
simplesimon wrote:
So, even though Hannington is now broadcasting HD signals, my HD-ready TV can't pick them up via aerial input because the tuner isn't HD capable (even though the set is). Is that a fair summary of the situation?

Yes.

Quote:
OK, so if I replace my Toppy with a HD-capable PVR (e.g. Humax FOX T2), as well as recording HD, will that feed a HD signal which my set can use (I would assume Yes).

Yes.

Quote:
In the interim, if I get an an HD-STB, does that sit between the output from the Toppy tuners and the TV or do I need to split the input into the Toppy and take one feed through the STB into the TV and another through the Toppy into the TV?

You can loop it from your Toppy, or give it a split feed, whichever is most convenient to you. There will be less signal loss if you loop it though.

Toppy Ant 1 - loop - Ant 2 - loop - HD STB RF In - loop - TV

gomezz
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
simplesimon wrote:
OK, so if I replace my Toppy with a HD-capable PVR (e.g. Humax FOX T2)

Even better is to complement the Toppy by adding a Freeview HD PVR rather than replacing it.

simplesimon
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Andyfras

Thanks for those replies, Andy. I think I now understand what's going on

gomezz

Quote:
Even better is to complement the Toppy by adding a Freeview HD PVR rather than replacing it.

Hmm, interesting idea! My 5800 is still A-OK and MyStuff is wonderful. Seems a shame to dump it. Would this give you 2 Toppy SD Tuners, 2 HD tuners (assuming a twin-tuner design) and the TV SD tuner? If so, does that mean you could watch via the TV tuner whilst recording up to 4 separate channels - 2SD and 2HD (assuming each pair was recording from the same multiplex)?

How would you wire this up? Would it be as per Andyfras' suggestion (Toppy Ant 1 - loop - Ant 2 - loop - Freeview HD PVR RF In - loop - TV) or something more exotic? Are there any drawbacks to doing something like this?

Lastly, in the interim, until I can gather some pennies for a Humax or similar, can anyone recommend a cheap HD set top box?

andyfras
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
simplesimon wrote:
My 5800 is still A-OK and MyStuff is wonderful. Seems a shame to dump it. Would this give you 2 Toppy SD Tuners, 2 HD tuners (assuming a twin-tuner design) and the TV SD tuner? If so, does that mean you could watch via the TV tuner whilst recording up to 4 separate channels - 2SD and 2HD (assuming each pair was recording from the same multiplex)?

Yes. They can be recording from 4 different muxes and you can be viewing a fifth on the TV.

Quote:
How would you wire this up? Would it be as per Andyfras' suggestion (Toppy Ant 1 - loop - Ant 2 - loop - Freeview HD PVR RF In - loop - TV)?

Yes.

Quote:
Lastly, in the interim, until I can gather some pennies for a Humax or similar, can anyone recommend a cheap HD set top box?

See Humax Manager's Specials.

simplesimon
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Andyfras

Thanks for all the help. I think I can see a way forward, now.

Quote:
Yes. They can be recording from 4 different muxes and you can be viewing a fifth on the TV.

Eek...I can see my backlog of unwatched material increasing dramatically!

KennyT
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 02 Feb 2006 Posts: 244 Location: NW London
OK, the situation is this:

One of my Toppys is running MyStuff v5.6. Since retuning, I've got duplicate channels. This has caused chaos, as we all know. Is there an easy way to fix it? It's running MyInfo v4.0 which comes up with the "duplicate channels found - abandon all hope!" message but no option to fix it (I know later versions jsut "sort it").

What I can't do is to upgrade to the latest MS with firmware because, despite trying 3 different PCs (w7-32, w7-64, XP) with 3 different USB cables, I can't get a connection - I just get "USB Device not recognised".

I've got 3 of each of the BBC channels so for starters, deleting the unnecessary ones "one by one" will be a right pain, especially as I'd have to do it again in a couple of weeks.

The worst thing is that the Toppy in question is in constant use by SWMBO!!! Crying or Very sad

K

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3486
KennyT wrote:
OK, the situation is this:
One of my Toppys is running MyStuff v5.6.

The latest version is 6.4, which has some important fixes that can minimise disk wipes that are experienced by many Toppy owners.

Quote:

Since retuning, I've got duplicate channels.

I assume you first performed a factory reset (factory settings) from the Toppy's menu. A rescan only adds channels but doesn't get rid of any redundant/out-of-date channel information

Quote:

This has caused chaos, as we all know. Is there an easy way to fix it? It's running MyInfo v4.0 which comes up with the "duplicate channels found - abandon all hope!" message but no option to fix it (I know later versions jsut "sort it").

Try the latest version of MyInfo rather than a very old version.
http://www.tapworld.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=608

If you use the installer to upgrade to Mystuff 6.4 you will find that it also puts a few usful utility TAPs on your Toppy's hard disk that can be run as a one off.

One of these TAPs is Fastscangui which can be used to only scan from your chosen transmitter thus avoiding duplicates in the first place. Another of these TAPs is Channel Organiser which can be used to get rid of the duplicates and/or any of the dross channels you don't view or listen to.

Quote:

What I can't do is to upgrade to the latest MS with firmware because, despite trying 3 different PCs (w7-32, w7-64, XP) with 3 different USB cables, I can't get a connection - I just get "USB Device not recognised".

First try a cold boot by turning off the Toppy at the mains plug for two minutes. The two minutes is just to let the Toppy's power supply discharge fully. On re-applying mains power the cold boot will reset any software which may have crashed. This doesn't happen if you just put the box into standby.

If this doesn't work try using a different connection program on your PC. Antares is one such program.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=222156#222156
http://haselgrove.id.au/antares/
rather than using the Toppy USB drivers go for:
http://haselgrove.id.au/antares/z4t.html

For further fault finding of your PC to Toppy link see also TopManager. Topmanager is installed on the PC.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=229181#229181
http://www.geeceebee.co.uk/

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3486
KennyT wrote:

I assume on the 32 bit machines that you have previously installed Topfield Tools for Windows, including Altair.

If you connect a Topfield to a PC without first installing the Topfield USB drivers Windoze will helpfully install a totally inappropriate driver which will not connect. You may first have to remove the incorrect driver.

USBDeview may help with this driver identification/removal
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Topfield Tools for Windows
http://www.turbosatdownloads.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=11&id=2085:topfieldtools

BUT it may be better to use
Antares-- an Altair replacement for 32-bit & 64-bit Win

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the advice.

I know there's nothing wrong with one PC/cable combination because I used it to update my "downstairs" Toppy today so I've just been using that combo on SWMBOs "upstairs" one. I've tried TopManager and it just reiterates that it can't make a connection (which just confirms what the PC itself reports when I connect up the cable).

However, the bit of advice about doing the factory reset first certainly helped! I still get the duplicate channels warning but at least the first 20 or so channels are correctly identified in MyStuff, which is good enough for SWMBO for now!

K

Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Oct 2007 Posts: 2560
You'll need to get rid of the duplicates or you'll have all sorts of problems.

Boot Tapless (hold down the zero key on the remote while booting) and delete the duplicates manually. It's a pain, but until the usb connection is sorted it's all you can do.

If the usb connection is u/s, it is possible to copy files from toppy to toppy using the serial interface

ccsx
Geoff Bacon
Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4348
Suggest you use the z4t drivers from the Antares page.

I don't think you have to uninstall any existing drivers; just run it and see.
Once you get it working, make a note of the USB port on the pc (sometimes you have to use the same port each time you connect to the toppy).

Having got the driver installed, install TopManager (link in my signature). Use Connection| Settings to create a USB connection and Connection| Open. You can then use the "Tools| DLLs| Display" option to fix the DLL used by Altair (if you already have it installed on your pc).

Assuming TopManager wiorks, you are then in a position to use the Full MyStuff installer (it uses a similar mechanism as TopManager to access the Toppy). When you upgrade, say yes to everything it offers to install.

After upgrading, you will need to run ChannelOrganiser to delete duplicate channels etc (the MyStuff installer will have put it in \ProgramFiles\Utilities.

When you think you have it all as it should be, use the TopManager Display|MyInfo Log and post the output in this thread. Someone is sure to tell you what you have forgotten!

TopManager does not copy recordings so if you want to do that, you will need Altair, Antares or TopSet.

Geoff

TAPs: PcControl B1.4; StopExit v1.01; PruneEPG 1.0; fsSave 1.1; QuickJump 1.72; SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; MyStuff 6.6; Bookmark 3.0; Extend v1.7; Font Manager 1.0d; MyInfo B5.6; MHEG On/Off A3;
Sig generated by EMJB's MyInfo.tap on 29/12/18
KennyT
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I think, what I need is to use a USB<->serial connector to get a connection to the Toppy. I have a null-modem F-F rs232 cable and so I think there's the other piece of the puzzle here:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-to-serial-9-pin-male-adaptor-29968

Question is: Has anyone succeeded in using the MyStuff installer over this sort of connection? (I'll post the same question in the MS section!)

K