Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  General Toppy discussions  ~  Freeview retune issues

Page 1 of 27
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 20 Mar 2005 Posts: 9577
This thread is specifically for assisting members who are having problems with the Freeview retune, or with installing firmware as part of the retune.

A reminder email to all forum members on Saturday 26th September contained information, and a link to this thread. Please try to keep this on-topic, and provide useful, concise information to members who may be new to the forums, seeking help with the retune.

Nigel.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 17 Mar 2007 Posts: 37
The advice given is to upgrade the toppy's software before retuning.

My problem is that the toppy is nowhere near the PC. I have never been able to connect the toppy to the PC. I once did an upgrade off air though.

What is my situation now?

Firmware TF-NPT 5.14.09+ (installed by Turbosat during repair, Oct 2009)
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:16 am Reply with quote
You will need to find a PC, and either take the Toppy to the PC, or the other way round.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Oct 2006 Posts: 3484
Patrick wrote:
I once did an upgrade off air though.

As far as I'm aware, there has never been a OTA upgrade that had a bug fix for the split NIT problem http://www.toppy.org.uk/static/channelNumbers.shtml. If you cannot upgrade your firmware via a PC you may have to live with some channels being labeled in the 1000s. This may not be a problem if you are not running some of the popular TAPs

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 am Reply with quote
alan_m wrote:
Patrick wrote:
I once did an upgrade off air though.

As far as I'm aware, there has never been a OTA upgrade that had a bug fix for the split NIT problem http://www.toppy.org.uk/static/channelNumbers.shtml. If you cannot upgrade your firmware via a PC you may have to live with some channels being labeled in the 1000s. This may not be a problem if you are not running some of the popular TAPs

Thanks. Not sure what a split NIT is! I am not running any TAPS because I have never connected the toppy to the PC.

If I borrow a friend's laptop which I can carry to the toppy, I can't then connect it to the internet. Reading the instruction for using the Toppy.org.uk firmware installer, it seems to imply there must be connected chain of internet>computer>toppy for this to work

nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
In that case, your best bet will be to use the standard Topfield tools, and just download the file then follow the 'manual firmware update' instructions on the Firmware downloads page.

Nigel

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 17 Jul 2009 Posts: 105
nwhitfield wrote:
A reminder email to all forum members on Saturday 26th September contained information, and a link to this thread.

Haven't received any... Crying or Very sad

Shannock9
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 1060
If you absolutely cannot connect a PC to the Internet and the Toppy at the same time you can use the following procedure.

On the instruction page

1. Find the "Manual Update" section. Decide which model you have (use the "click here") and download the correct tfd file by clicking your model type. This file will be needed later.

2. Find the "How to Upgrade Your Firmware" section. Follow the second and third paragraphs to download and install the "Topfield Tools".

The last step of number 2 is to connect to the Toppy. At this point you can move the laptop as it will no longer need the Internet.

Once connected to the Toppy, continue with the "Manual Update" section, using the tfd file you put aside earlier.

HOWEVER please note that neither of the firmware update procedures require either a TV or an aerial for the Toppy, so another option is to move the Toppy to the PC, where you can use the Toppy Firmware Installer which is very automated but does require Internet access.

Last edited by Shannock9 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
nwhitfield
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Sorry - I wrote that before I clicked send, so I could include the link in the email. Unfortunately, there are now so many forum members, that it's just not possible to use the built in software to email them all.

In the end, I had to send only to those who are members of the Announcements group. I've also put a news item on the front page of the site, and it's in the RSS feed.

Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
MyStuff Team Joined: 12 Aug 2005 Posts: 10801 Location: Wokingham, Berkshire (Hannington transmitter)
Patrick wrote:
I am not running any TAPS because I have never connected the toppy to the PC.

If I borrow a friend's laptop which I can carry to the toppy, I can't then connect it to the internet.
You CAN carry the Toppy to the laptop though. The crucial things to remember are:

a) Make sure you install Topfield Tools BEFORE you connect the Toppy to the PC
b) If you're using your own PC (or one you're ever likely to use again), remember which USB port you used to connect your Toppy to. You'll need to use the same one every time.

Julie

Harmony 885 remote. Sig date 8 April 2012
Patrick
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
juwlz wrote:
Patrick wrote:
I am not running any TAPS because I have never connected the toppy to the PC.

If I borrow a friend's laptop which I can carry to the toppy, I can't then connect it to the internet.

You CAN carry the Toppy to the laptop though. The crucial things to remember are:

a) Make sure you install Topfield Tools BEFORE you connect the Toppy to the PC

Yes, got that far. Charging the laptop battery now because it was dead flat

Quote:

b) If you're using your own PC (or one you're ever likely to use again), remember which USB port you used to connect your Toppy to. You'll need to use the same one every time.

Julie

That's weird. I may have to give the laptop back - it's an old works one.

Patrick
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Now I have bigger problem, which seems to have started when I had to get behind Toppy to plug in the USB lead. (Whose bright idea is it to put USB sockets in inaccessible places.)

Since then, Toppy doesn't work, see item Green Screen

pscandrett
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I've just upgraded my firmware as described here: http://www.toppy.org.uk/downloads/firmware.php and it seemed to go OK using the 'toppy firmware installer'. Previously I've done it 'manually' wth HDFW but I thought I'd go with the full recommendations this time in the run up to the changes in channels on Wednesday. However, I now have a couple of issues with my (not too esoteric) setup and I also don't now know what firmware I have as HDFW displays it illegibly due to the number of patches on the new firmware!

Previously I had 'description extender' installed; when it rebooted it told me that it wasn't compatible, but I can't find a more up to date version. I thought this might be because the new firmwares fixed the problems, but it's not the case - EPG navigator no longer shows the full description. I've tried changing setting 18 to both 'yes' and 'no' to no avail. I'm on the latest EPG Navigator (5.1c) and have been for a while and it's worked fine.

The other thing is that, through process of elimination, having Skip 1.34a installed means that the volume control no longer works. This also seems to be the most up to date version. For the time being I've disabled it so I can change the volume but I'd quite like my unit back the way it was!

I've had a search through the forums with not much luck in fixing these. Can anyone please advise?

Many thanks.

(5800, UK Autoscheduler 0.72, deepletterbox 2.43, epgnavigator 5.1c, would like to use Skip 1.34a)

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 10 Jul 2005 Posts: 1604 Location: Shropshire
Although 5.1c version of EPGNav appears to be the latest there is a later version 6 that has been modified to work with the De TAP or patch which allows EPGNav to select one or the other.

?
gomezz
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 18 Nov 2005 Posts: 3985 Location: Buckingham
pscandrett wrote:
However, I now have a couple of issues with my (not too esoteric) setup and I also don't now know what firmware I have as HDFW displays it illegibly due to the number of patches on the new firmware!

Run the MyInfo TAP to find out what firmware you have. Displays the info on screen and also writes it to a log file.