Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  TAP Compiler Download

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
steelej
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 26 Aug 2005 Posts: 204
I am just about to order a Toppy and am interested in the TAP development download. The compiler (Windows version) download links appear to be broken. Is there any where to get the development compiler from? Confused
peteru
Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 27 Mar 2005 Posts: 79 Location: Sydney, Australia
Topfield were violating the terms of the GPL license. Apparently several people have reported them to the FSF over the course of the last year. I have not bothered reporting them, but I was contacted by two people who have done so.

It looks like that rather than releasing the source code to the compiler, Topfield chose to not distribute it anymore. This is disapointing, because it means that no one will be able to distribute a copy of the TAP compiler. Even if you have a copy of it, you are not allowed to distribute it without providing the source for it. Since you don't have the source to distribute, you must not distribute the executables either.

Now would be a good time to put pressure on all Topfield channels to do something. Even if they do not distribute the compiler, they could always provide instructions on how to build one.

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5639 Location: Cheltenham
Most unfortunate, this effectively demotes the toppy to the same status as the rest of the crowd - unextensible.
BLZB0B
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 15 Jul 2005 Posts: 26
It's a shame they won't release the source - as it would mean that other development languages could be supported later as people build their own compilers..

I personally develop in c# and have never sat down and tried to learn c++ - it would be nice to have a c# compiler for the toppy! although the learning curve probably isn't that great..

Maybe they won't release it because there is something in it that shouldn't be there? (or am I just being cynical?)
simonc
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Shocked You'd have to port the .net framework as well though!

Seriously though, if you can program c#, you can program c++ as well, you just need to remember to delete anything you've allocated with new.

The worst aspect of programming the toppy is the incomplete C runtime and lack of support for the STL, oh yes and the constant reboots...
BLZB0B
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
the thing that gets me is how primative the supplied IDE is !!!

I think I've been spoilt with Visual Studio 2003 Smile

I'm guessing that I can use the Visual Studio 6 Enterprise (I have an msdn subscription so get all the toys from MS) - then just use the topfield compiler for the final compile?

Or is it worth learning codewarrior ?
simonc
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I've been using VS 2003. You can set up a makefile project that uses a standard include file.

A sample http://simonc.sitesled.com/makefile
Common include file http://simonc.sitesled.com/tap.mak

My environment uses Peter Urbanec's alternative TAP environment (http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~peteru/toppy/index.html), installed to c:\cygwin\usr\local\tap

I haven't quite made the leap to using cygwin's own makefile syntax yet, but I think it's a desirable step so that the entire project would be portable.
BLZB0B
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info Simon,

It should make the learning curve a little easier as VS looks after alot of the mundane stuff !

I can see many lost hours coming up playing at breaking my toppy!
simonc
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Also in the pipeline is a Toppy remote control client for Windows which sends keypresses to the toppy from your PC. Invaluable if your toppy is in another room. It also saves on batteries too.
julian
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 01 Sep 2005 Posts: 45 Location: Worcester Park
One of the reasons for my choice of toppy was the openness of it and availability of a programming interface. Whilst I agree with the principles of honouring the GPL, the effect has been to make the toppy more closed rather than more open.

I thought I had been lucky to download the compiler before it disappeared, but the copy I have is suspiciously small (315k) and appears to be corrupt. From my experience of gcc under linux and solaris I'm guessing that 6 or 7 executables and no other files is quite a few sandwiches short of the required picnic!

Any ideas about sourcing a working compiler?

Feel free to send a private message if you prefer...
DB1
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 728 Location: Orpington
I think once the current BBC fuss has died down Turbosat should have a *Serious" talk with Topfield about the whole GPL/compiler thing.

One of the selling points is TAPs
You can't write them without the compiler
You can't get the compiler
It does not do what it says on the tin.

Heck why don't they just open source the *firmware* and be done with it? Smile
deangelj
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 29 Mar 2005 Posts: 316 Location: Sydney, Australia
So have any of you VS 2003 developers got intellisense for the TAP API going Smile ??

That would be nice...

cheers,
John
simonc
Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Seems to happen automatically for me. It might be because I've added the api headers to an API folder in my project.
frostie
Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:28 am Reply with quote
Hi,

Don't have a Toppy yet, but was considering buying one because of the programming possibilities. Changed my mind when i couldn't get a copy of gcc_for_taps after spending a few hours searching the web.

However the links seem to be open again and got a copy this evening ( 25MB ). So I may be buying one after all.

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 22 Aug 2005 Posts: 1061
I cannot seem to get a copy. Does that mean I'm SOL?