Click here to go to the forum index Click here for the home page

<  TAP and patch development  ~  Original firmware

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
simonc
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 12 Apr 2005 Posts: 5639 Location: Cheltenham
Yes that's right, I'd like to get hold of a copy of the original firmware. It's not on the Topfield.co.kr site, or Turbosat.com.

The idea is to look at the changes to the remote keypress handler pre and post May 10th to see if I can find where the mapping of the direction keys, volume and channel keys is done. This could lead to a way of treating these keys separately within taps. I've already found that it's possible to get the subtitles menu without going through the Opt key using the debugging api that reappeared in the August firmware.

Anyway, back to the question: Has anyone kept a copy that they could send me or make available on their website?
ROWANMOOR
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Frequent contributor Joined: 31 Mar 2005 Posts: 741 Location: Redhill, Surrey
I shall be interested in your results if you get hold if it.

Do you have a programmable remote you can try some other commands with? I can provide the codes if you do.

Toppy: TF5800pvrt Remote: Harmony 885
F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -EpVr+CbCfCtDDsEgEmEvEzFpFsHsIMPePfPsScUUaUuUyVbVcVdWfZ
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; TAP Commander 1.34; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG Control B2.1; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; MyInfo B5.5;
Sig generated by MyInfo on 8/7/11
simonc
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought you might Wink I've been keeping an eye on your thread. If you can get a few more keys recognisable to taps then I'd consider getting a programmable remote.
rodneyfoy
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 66
Simon, I don't think Topfield ever made the original firmware available. Presumably, you still have the 10th and 11th May updates.
simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but the tap compatibility stuff had already been added by then. I'm hoping that some of the early adopters would have made a backup of their original firmware before upgrading. Mind you, I hadn't even considered if a backup was possible..

Second idea: Has anyone kept any of the memory dumps made by DarkMatter's memorydump tap from before the May update?
ROWANMOOR
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Simon, am I right in thinking you are planning to compare the original to the May 10th to try and find the code changes to the Key handling?

Or are you just wanting to see what it did?

That could open up some interesting posibilities of what we could do with TAPs without needing firmware updates...

F/W: MS6 Recommended F/W 12/9/2009 -EpVr+CbCfCtDDsEgEmEvEzFpFsHsIMPePfPsScUUaUuUyVbVcVdWfZ
TAPs: SecCache (UK) v0.4; EIT Sub (Game) v0.6; EPG2MEI v0.96; TAP Commander 1.34; Font Manager 1.0d; Extend v1.7; MHEG Control B2.1; QuickJump 1.72; MyStuff 6.4; TF5000 Display v1.53; MyInfo B5.5;
simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
No, it's more along the lines of distinguishing between keys that are mapped to the same keyid within taps i.e.
List=TV Radio
Up=Channel up
Down=Channel down
Left=Vol down
Right=Vol up

It'd be good if we could reclaim those 5 duplicates for people running a tap on the UK firmware. I've had a couple of requests from QuickJump users to do things using the arrow keys whilst retaining the P+,P-, V+, and V- key functions, which I just can't do as things stand right now.
ROWANMOOR
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
There was a rumour in one post a while back that Gerti did it in Improbox. I don't run improbox (just prefer the look and feel of the standard info box) but testing the older version I originally tried it does not distinguish.

I presume it was just a misunderstanding in the post I saw.

I do wonder wether a man of your intelegence could work out where the key mapping calls are done in the firmware and wether a change along the lines of your quickjump fix for the current firmware would be possible to change what is passed on to TAPs. It may then be possible to open up other keys that currently passed to TAPs as 0.

Ideally we would want the current param1 values, but with param2 values set to distinguish the different source key.

BTW - what things did you look at to start to understand the firmware coding to find your fix for quickjump?

simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I'd been digging around in the new firmware for the movefile function which is accessed by the debugger api and it just occurred to me that while I was at it I could also look at the differences between Hdd_ChangePlaybackPos in the 2 versions. I wrote a quick tap to dump the address of the function and took a look at the code at that address (memdump tap+disasmips). Surprisingly it turned out to do 2 calls in quick succession so I took a chance and commented out the second call - bingo. Some people have called me a lucky b*****d in the past, I think that's bearing up Laughing
matt
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Forum moderator Joined: 30 Mar 2005 Posts: 2305 Location: St Ives, Cornwall Transmitter: Redruth
What does this acheive, simon?

puzzled,
matt

PVR: TF5800, MyStuff recommended firmware, new PSU, 250GB Spinpoint HDD, Zalman ZM-OP1 fan TAPs: QuickJump 1.72, MyStuff 6.4, EPG2MEI 0.96, Extend 1.7, Bookmark 3, UK Auto Scheduler 0.73, SecCache 0.4, EIT Sub 0.6, SDS 1.3, TAP Commander 1.34, Font Manager 1.0d. Others: HDFW 2.3a, Channel Manager 5.1, FastScanGUI, MyInfo TV: Philips 37PFL9603D
ROWANMOOR
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
That was the fix for quickjump to work around the bug introduced in the Aug firmware whereby it would display the progress bar everry time a TAP 'jumped' position in the current playback.

For some reason they introduced this second call under Hdd_ChangePlaybackPos to display the Progress Bar when it was not in the May firmware, but Simon found it and removed it in the firmware to ensure that quickjump still worked as before.

Anyway - back on the original topic - we have yet to find anyone with a copy of the original firmware or a memory dump from running it.

simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
What can we do with this? Well, if you use Jag's EPG, you may have noticed that there are certain features not available to the UK - changing the style of the time bar using a single remote keypress for instance. This is because on the 5800 a tap can't tell the difference between the volume buttons and the left/right buttons thus we effectively have fewer buttons available to do things with. Another example is launching UKTimers via the list button. If we intercept the List button at the moment, we are also intercepting the TV/Radio button thus blocking the radio feature of the toppy.

Rowan has also suggested that we may also be able to recognise extra keys on programmable remotes allowing people to put UK Timers on a custom button for example rather than using White or Opt.
rodneyfoy
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Regular contributor Joined: 02 Apr 2005 Posts: 66
Surely any modifying of firmware, or calls into it, won't work after the next update because the code will have changed (including the locations of many/most routines) - or have I misunderstood something?
simonc
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Quite right, but the intervals between firmware updates is sufficiently large to make it not too much of an issue.
ROWANMOOR
Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Simon, how well do you understand MIPS instructions now?

Yesterday I got an idea - partly inspired by you.

I have a theory - when the firmware recieves an IR command it converts it to an RKEY value to pass to TAPs. Assuming they do not return 0 at any point in the chain it then knows the original value to use in the firmware. Thus it can differentiate between the Arrows and Vol+/- etc. Therefore the original key must be stored somewhere while it passes it through to all the TAPs. If we can find it, then we can interpret the IR command and differentiate between the distinct ones that are merged together.

So, I adapted Darkmatters memory dump TAP a bit to do dumps on key presses. I then compared the results. I was rather surprised to find the number of differences in the dumps from one second to the next. It seems to move areas of memory arround for no reason! The couple of areas I compared differences on had hundereds of differences and so it was rather a needle in a haystack operation.

I did not manage to find anything that was in any way helpful in the couple of hours I spent on it last night.

However, one thought I had was to see what the TAP_GenerateEvent function does. It may point us in the right direction. Would you be able to unsderstand what it is doing at all?